• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE ADATA/XPG Launches XPG Hurricane ARGB PWM Series Fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

XPG-Cropped.jpg
ADATA/XPG has just launched the new Hurricane ARGB PWM series fans in 120 mm and 140 mm. The Hurricane series fans utilize a dual-layer blade design with fluid dynamic bearings (FDB) for silent operation and an extended life span. Dual-ring ARGB LEDs provide a fulling customizable lighting display. The XPG HURRICANE ARGB 120mm PWM Fan has an MSRP of $17.99, while the XPG HURRICANE ARGB 140mm PWM Fan sells for $19.99. You can find more information below in XPG's press release.
Click here to read more!

why do i have to be so picky for my fans?
140mm fans need to move around 90cfm, around 2.0mm (static pressure), and be around 2000rpm, 20db (+/- 10%), meaning i have to get separate aRGB fan covers. too many 140mm fans with the airflow and pressure i desire are too loud at around 29-35 db
/sigh
/facepalm

Last edited:
I can understand your decibel requirements but why a CFM and Static Pressure minimum? Are you using them for case fans and radiator fans?

I can understand your decibel requirements but why a CFM and Static Pressure minimum? Are you using them for case fans and radiator fans?
( i'm just trying to explain why i made my choice, i'm NOT trying to convince you to change your choices / opinions. )

because i can use them for anything and everything, with uniform looks, for the same price as popular fans (like corsair) with double the db + double the rpm + half the airflow + no pressure rating. (when i say double or half, i'm exaggerating. ie 2000 rpm vs 3000-3500 rpm, 20db vs 29 or 39db, 90cfm vs 50cfm, 2.0 H2Omm^2 vs no rating. it's easier to say double / half then to geek out with specific percentages of comparisons) when i refer to the price, i know that ARGB fans can run 40$US, and that my choice of fans + ARGB fan frames means about the same price, BUT i can choose the fans with the specs i like, because function is 75% priority to me over the 25% priority in looks. looks are still important, and i still have "must avoids" when it comes to looks. Also, sometimes i can find great bulk prices, meaning i can buy more fans for lower costs, so i end up with extras that i can use in future upgrades or as spare parts. (ie, corsair released their 420 AIO after i bought their 360 AIO. the 420 AIO would be more uniform with all my 140mm case fans, and those fans i picked can be used as radiator fans if i change AIO in the future.)

like how many members here recommend Noctua fans (the bacon colored ones, sorry, couldn't resist the bacon reference!) the high CFM and static pressure minimums also mean that i can use PWM tech to run them slower, for quieter operation, and still get good airflow and pressure. I also like having mid to high pressure-rated fans so i don't have to worry about HDD drive cages or wiring (my wire management 20 years ago was non-existent) blocking airflow, as i still have older PCs in older cases that are not listed in my Signature.

i also know that most people find average corsair fans to be more than acceptable, and i'm happy they found something they like. i just prefer something else. i hope that's acceptable, too.

and i know that i am way more picky about my selections than most people. (i often wonder if i have a touch of OCD) however, knowing that about myself means i can make recommendations to others based on their wants / needs, while ignoring my own required specs. in other words, i won't recommend what i want to others because i know i'm pickier than they are. partly because i end up spending more money (i don't want to recommend more expensive parts when they're not necessary for them), even though i don't need all the features. sometimes i have to bite the bullet, accepting / paying for features i don't need, because one feature i personally want / need is only available on products with all those extra features. for example, my motherboard supports LN2 cold booting, which i'll never use, but with all the 90 degree angled connectors on the front edge of the board, it looks freaking awesome in my case. my case is also expensive, but it has 3 compartments, main, side PSU /wire management, and bottom radiator / HDD cage compartment, and it has room for 3-420 rads + a 560 rad + 2 water pumps + looks great + is very durable. the vast majority of PC users are more than happy with $200 cases / motherboards, while i spent $900 on my case, and $700 on the motherboard. i wouldn't recommend either of them to the general consumer, and most enthusiasts won't even consider them. (i consider the tiers to start with general consumer, up to enthusiast (including hobby overclockers and entry-level competitive ones), up to world champion-ish hardcore competitive overclockers like K|NGP|N, up into the industrial / commercial tiers.) i consider myself to be an enthusiast, since i build my own PCs, but not a competitve overclocker.

TLDR: i'm picky, i know i'm picky. sometimes it's beneficial. sometimes it makes no sense. it doesn't affect my recommendations to others.

PS: please (i'm trying to be polite) don't try to convince me to stop being picky. and please don't imply that i'm wrong. you like what you like and that's fine, and i like what i like, and i won't try to convince you to change. i'm just trying to explain why i made my choice, i'm NOT trying to convince you to change your choices. your choices are yours. my choices are mine. i don't want to push my way of thinking on others. other peoples' choices and ways of thinking only help us give them better recommendations for what will make them happy, while sometimes offering alternatives to what makes us happy. if everybody had all the exact same preferences, etc... then there wouldn't be both Intel and AMD. there wouldn't be both Nvidia and ATI. heck, there wouldn't even be both i5s and i9s, or both ryzens and threadrippers.

PPS: some of my response comes from being berated / bullied on forums in the past 20 years, so please forgive me for being too defensive. or abrasive. i don't mean to be.

PPPS: thanks for letting me ramble. i know i sometimes talk too much, and i'm afraid of de-railing this announcement thread. if i wasn't so picky (and that's something i'm not sure i have a choice on) i would have seriously considered these fans for a build.

I get what you're saying. Really. I have a touch of OCD too. I'm guilty of over buying and selecting components that are way over what I need because they have one or two features that I "like" but don't necessarily need.

Also, please don't think I was belittling or setting you up to berate. One of the reasons I love OCF and call it my home is because that type of banter simply isn't allowed. I was sincerely curious why you had such "picky" (your words, not mine lol) requirements.

Just an FYI, a fan doesn't need to be PWM to be controlled. Motherboards can control DC 3-pin fans too.

I get what you're saying. Really. I have a touch of OCD too. I'm guilty of over buying and selecting components that are way over what I need because they have one or two features that I "like" but don't necessarily need.

Also, please don't think I was belittling or setting you up to berate. One of the reasons I love OCF and call it my home is because that type of banter simply isn't allowed. I was sincerely curious why you had such "picky" (your words, not mine lol) requirements.

Just an FYI, a fan doesn't need to be PWM to be controlled. Motherboards can control DC 3-pin fans too.
Thanks, Blaylock. I needed that. it's a been a rough few weeks and i think that affected my response. I actually had to wait to respond so i was more clear-headed, and less emotionally affected by life problems. Thanks for your patience and understanding! I think that i tend to ramble on with the personality explanations for other posters, too. It's been my experience in the past that the one asking the question totally understood the response as a curious person, and then future posters got all egoistic and confrontational, informing me that i was wrong. i really didn't mean to show that frustration in my post, nor to direct any of that frustration toward you or anyone. I guess i'm still fighting demons after all these years. ugh.

for PWM fans, you're absolutely right. the 4th pin is just for fan-mounted sensors for auto-adjusted fan-speed control, versus the default fan curve that's based on motherboard temperature sensors or non-curve settings for fan speed (IE all fans on that socket set to low / medium / high / turbo). there's also fan controllers that accept 3 pin fans but their speeds are all controlled by the PWM fan in slot 1. (well controlled by the motherboard obviously, but the motherboard's control of all the fans on the controller are based off the info collected by PWM fan in slot 1) I think most PWM fans are also sold in NON-PWM version as well. I think i just default to all PWM fans for redundancy, being able to use any of the fans in any of the fan positions. (i guess it's one more example of the touch of OCD)

PS: the only spec on the announced XPG 140mm fan that i don't like is the noise level of 28 dbA.

my old socket 939 rig had a U2UFO case (an 18inch cube) with 7 120mm fans and 2 80mm fans. but at first i used fans with 25dbA+ noise levels and it sounded like a jet engine when i turned it on. that's when i started getting picky with my fans and set the 20dbA max noise rule. (the more fans you have, the more the noise compounds off each other) Nevermore has a 200mm fan + 6 ~120mm fans, but no window, so looks of the fans didn't matter. Forgotten Legend has 11 ~140mm and 6 ~120mm fans (for 2 compartments plus a 360 radiator) but has a full tempered glass window side-panel, so black was the color of choice to match the interior of the case.

I also forgot to mention that i live in central Texas, where the summers are brutal, running highs of 100F+ (up to 110F), which also means that inside ambient temps are closer to 80F all things considered. (floorplan, direct sunlight beating down on the roof, humidity, etc)

I was stationed in El Paso for 3 years. I fully understand the Texas heat.

Something to think about with fan noise is, what the fan is mounted to make an audible difference in decibels and tone, which is something that can't be measured. I could be wrong but I think it was skinnielabs that used to do videos of the fans in his reviews so you could hear the tone of the fan against the case mesh and against a radiator as they will give of different tones. Something one of our reviewers, ehume, does is remove the steel mesh from the case to eliminate the generated noise caused by turbulence. The old wire ring covers do a good job of keeping fingers out of fans without generating that turbulence, though they are not as aesthetically pleasing.

that's very good advice to consider while looking for a case while OCDing about fans... i don't think i ever consciously considered the mounting location's affect on fan noise. the most i gave a nod to, was that the fans had vibration absorbing pads. (which are pretty much standard now, with rubber pads at the mounting holes) I hadn't connected the sturdiness of the case or fan grids or filters or mesh or anything with fan noise before. while i was shopping for cases, not giving consideration to their effects on fans, I only read about a few cases being flimsy (like the corsair 900D), or having certain parts that broke easily, while others were definitely called sturdy / very well constructed / reliable / very good materials used, (like the Phanteks Enthoo Elite)

Back