• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Add Windows Media Center to Windows 8 Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

'Cuda340

Very Welcoming Senior, Premium Member #11
If your PC is running Windows 8 Pro and you'd like to get Windows 8 Media Center Pack so you can watch and record live TV with Windows Media Center, you can take advantage of the following special offer:

For a limited time, get Windows 8 Media Center Pack for free **

To receive a free product key and get Windows 8 Media Center Pack, provide a valid email address in the space provided. Once you receive your free product key through the email address you provided, follow the instructions for adding Windows 8 Media Center Pack that appear later on this page.

Enter Email Address Here

Not running it yet myself just posting as an fyi......but apparently it is no longer included.

Given the changing landscape, the cost of decoder licensing, and the importance of a straight forward edition plan, we’ve decided to make Windows Media Center available to Windows 8 customers via the Add Features to Windows 8 control panel (formerly known as Windows Anytime Upgrade). This ensures that customers who are interested in Media Center have a convenient way to get it.

Media Centre.PNG

Not available for the RTM and have to pay for Media Center after paying for W8. Riiiiiiight. Think I'll go load the W7 system image I made last week. Bye bye W8!

This thread is for free Media Center for RTM?

Or are you talking about how it will not be free for installs made after Feb 2013 and later?

That would not make much sense sense since "Offer valid from October 26, 2012, until January 31, 2013."

If you can have both at the same time, there's no reason not to dual boot and have Windows 8 too.

It takes them a couple of days to email the Key but it arrived.

By the way, I understand this thing is an advanced PC DVR, not like the one the previous versions of Windows.

By the way, I understand this thing is an advanced PC DVR, not like the one the previous versions of Windows.

I find W7 Media Center to be a killer 4-Tuner DVR with features that match or surpass my DirecTV DVR's - and being an i3 its certainly a heck of a lot quicker than the DirecTV "SOC" hardware :p

Regardless - I might try W8 MC and see if it is actually better "in use". Thanks for the scoop on the free update!

:cool:

I did get my free key (a little more than 24 hours) but I dumped the RTM and am using W7. I'll hang on to the email just in case , but I prefer W7 to W8 for the majority of my computer usage.

If you jump through hoops to permanently set Win8 to boot into Desktop + maybe install Classic Shell to get Start Menu back, doesn't Win8 = Win7+.

Almost 24 hours passed, no key yet.
I guess I have to wait more, since I don't see any reason for them not to send me one - I'm running a licensed Windows 8(shout outs to my buddy at the Polytechnica Wroklawska university for getting me one).

It may take a couple of days plus it may get sent to spam folder.

Back