• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice for new work rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rndm_Noob

Registered
Hi guys,

Am thinking of building a new rig for work, which mainly include video editing, rendering of about 4 x 1 hr segment videos (which usually takes 3-4 hours per 1hr segment with my current rig), casual 3D/2D animations, and mostly running most Adobe programs.

Budget wise, I'm trying to get it under AU$1,500 (apologies I'm not sure of much in US$).

OK, so moving on, here's the list of the stuffs I'm thinking to get:

CPU - Intel i7 4770
Mobo - Asus Z-87 Pro OR Z-87 Plus OR other?
GPU - GeForce GTX 660Ti OR ATI Radeon 7870
RAM - G.Skill RipjawX 16GB 1600
HDD - 60GB SSD Kingston V300 + Seagate 1TBx2 OR only Seagate 1TBx2
Power - Coolermaster GX750 OR other PSU min of 650W
Case - Fractal design Define R4 OR other simple looking mid-full tower case
Monitor - LG 23" LED

From the list above with main components (not alternative selections), it goes up to AU$1,700+ without keyboard+mouse.

I'm not sure if those are good selections of items or not, but with my current rig (which can be seen on my sig), things are working well eventhough it might be slower in rendering and occasionally Premiere goes slow after long period of time. The only reason for the new rig is I want a dedicated machine for work and also so that I can play games and do other stuffs while rendering :p

Anyway, any suggestions are more than welcome, I definitely want to know other options to this.

THANKS IN ADVANCE, GUYS!! :thup:

For a $250 GPU, go GTX 760 or HD 7950.

Either of those motherboards are good, check out the ASRock Extreme stuff too.

Get a bigger SSD. 120GB, you'll thank me later.

Power, check the Seasonic G550 for this setup. Not sure why you need 650W, even a 550W is overkill for one GPU and a 4770.

My question is, Where are you shopping at? xD
MSY :p

For a $250 GPU, go GTX 760 or HD 7950.

Either of those motherboards are good, check out the ASRock Extreme stuff too.

Get a bigger SSD. 120GB, you'll thank me later.

Power, check the Seasonic G550 for this setup. Not sure why you need 650W, even a 550W is overkill for one GPU and a 4770.

So you're saying go 120GB SSD along with the 2x1TB hdd?
I was only planning to use the SSD pretty much for OS and programs pretty much, not sure if I will be need anything too big.

For the GPU, does GTX760 have big difference from 660Ti? I have to look into that :D

I don't know how much power I need tbh. I chose the 650 only because I tried the power supply calculator from Asus website, and it gave me min of 650W :shock: prob I entered some wrong stuffs, not sure. But if 550 is enough, I should go that then.

Are you planning on ever going with multiple GPUs or overclocking?

Probably in the future if I do have more budget, I do like to have multiple GPUs and might OC the CPU as well when necessary :D

Probably in the future if I do have more budget, I do like to have multiple GPUs and might OC the CPU as well when necessary :D

Get a 4770K not a 4770. Then you can overclock it. Also, get a 750W power supply so that you have the extra power later for SLI/Crossfire. If you definitely won't SLI then get a 550W power supply.

Back