• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice for radiators

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SunMaster

Advice wanted - for quiet performance.

In my system I have a 5950x - and sometimes this autumn a GPU equivalent of 350-400 watt. Probably not too important.

I have room for 2x 420mm radiators in my system, which is what I will go for. I have 6x Noctua NF-14As to go with the radiators.

Any advice which radiators to go for? Ideally the 6x fans will rotate at 6-800rpm. Is 45mm too thick when my primary goal is quiet performance, not performance at any noise?

Don't you need 8x fans for 4x120(x2) worth of rad or going six fans for quiet?

An extra 350-450W isn't chump change. Are you cooling that in the loop too? If not, you can EASILY use 4x120 and any fans set to low. Another 4x120 for just the cpu is overkill and won't really help much. Radiator cooling capacity isn't the problem, it's getting the heat out of the die that's today's biggest thermal issue. ;)

What case do you have? Can you put a rad in front so it gets fresh air or will your rad(s) all get air warmed by, eventually, this new video card?

Once we get those questions answered, we can help you out the best.

Don't you need 8x fans for 4x120(x2) worth of rad or going six fans for quiet?

An extra 350-450W isn't chump change. Are you cooling that in the loop too? If not, you can EASILY use 4x120 and any fans set to low. Another 4x120 for just the cpu is overkill and won't really help much. Radiator cooling capacity isn't the problem, it's getting the heat out of the die that's today's biggest thermal issue. ;)

What case do you have? Can you put a rad in front so it gets fresh air or will your rad(s) all get air warmed by, eventually, this new video card?

Once we get those questions answered, we can help you out the best.

420mm radiators take 3 x 140mm fans. 4x120 = 480mm.

I plan to cool both the CPU and GPU with these two radiators.

The case is a Fractal Meshify 2 XL, and it has room for 420mm radiator both in the front and topside.

I'm currently using a nice 420mm AIO from Arctic mounted on the top, with 3 140mm slowly spinning fans in the front.

Omg... sorry... mathz...

Since you're cooling the gpu, you'll want both, but can still run almost any fan and any rad on low and be in good shape thermally. :)

I like the alphacool nexxos rads. Thin will be fine. When I get off mobile I'll link some things up. ;)

I would take a look at hardwarelabs black ice nemesis 420gts. They are among the very best thin(30mm) rads available. Ideally suited for slower speed fans. They are priced better than most competitors at around $90 and paired with your excellent fans should net a very nice balance.
Alphacool has in fact just released an updated version of their st30 and xt45 rads. Now called the nexxos hpe 30 and 45 respectively (30mm and 45mm) that are slightly better performing than the originals but I don't know if they offer 420s yet. A review of the 45mm model was just posted at techpowerup last week if memory serves. Unfortunately they still lag behind Hwl rads in most scenarios. With copper prices what they are right now, Alphacool rads are taking a beating sadly.
If you do opt for a pair of the new st30 420s or Hwl 420gts you shouldn't have any problem keeping your rig cool with the right blocks.
GL!

Edit- haha, theres a frontpage story about the hpe rads here at ocf!

Last edited:
Others have suggested the gts as well. I may go for it, or I may go for the other suggestion you had - which do come in 420mm. A third option is Corsair xr5 420. I understand Corsairs radiators are also manufactured by Hardware Labs (or whoever manufactures for HWL).

Others have suggested the gts as well. I may go for it, or I may go for the other suggestion you had - which do come in 420mm. A third option is Corsair xr5 420. I understand Corsairs radiators are also manufactured by Hardware Labs (or whoever manufactures for HWL).
Yeah, Hwl builds corsairs xr5 & 7 rads. They are the Hardwarelabs L series rads. Don't pay the Corsair tax if you do go that route, you can get the exact same rad at performance-pcs.com for $30 or $40 less. They are solid performers. There's a review of them (under the corsair name but explaining the L series) at tpu as well.

Back