• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice Requested - To WC or not to WC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's both man, I don't have a link, but I'm an ee major which seems to count for nothing anymore around here.

Well I apologize for not blindly accepting everything people tell me. If you cannot produce references to substantiate your claims then what is to stop me from claiming that I am: Faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound!

I am not calling you out, but I want to learn.

What's your background in? Is it electrical in ANY way, because if not it's all gonna go right over your head.

quote from Toms isn't the most reputable place. There are some very good folks there, but few and far between. Toms is like Radio Shack. "Hi, I need a 12mfd 16 volt capacitor please". Umm, cap whut? You need a new toy car for your kid"?

Address the content, not the author?

Resistance no doubt is a factor on how hard you can push the chip and that is why there are factory recommendations for controlling this via measurement of volts and of a byproduct called heat.

We are talking about two totally different types of failures here. Your scenario involves an immediate failure consisting of over-volting. The wall of text above speaks more on the prolonged dangers of a (successful) enduring overclock.

Thanks everyone...I've been reading the stickies and looking at dangerden, frozencpu, skinee plus a few others and I think I'll jump in (slowly).

To answer a few questions...at 4.7Ghz I was getting into the mid 70's in prime, but games etc usually put me right at 70C (realtemp). I use a +.005 offset which results in a 1.35 core voltage which is about the lowest stable I've found. The chip will do 5Ghz, but temps went above 85 so I shut it down before I could see if it could be stable there.

Problem is when those fans start kicking up it is loud...I can still hear it over the speakers. I thought the GT-1850's were supposed to be pretty quiet (~32dB or so if I remember right)?

The GPU's I'm not worried about, I have an external 120MM that blows right on them and even playing the Crysis 2 demo last few nights they rarely get above 65C (GPU-z) and I can't hear the fans. I don't run them OC'd as the dual 6850's is overkill for most current games anyway, and hopefully will be that way for a long while.

I think a single loop for the CPU will do me just fine, looking at the TDW for SB, it probably doesn't have to be that robust either to get a DT of around 5. I'll post any questions and will look at those kits recommended.

BTW mor...I'm an EE/CS as well and worked in semiconductors (AE / AMAT) for many years before going over to utilities. Doesn't count for $%&# anywhere anymore.

The air cooler you chose is better than the H50, however noise will likely not be much different.

A custom loop (you are water cooling now with that H50), will allow you to acheive the quiet you want by running larger fans slower on that sized radiator. However a custom loop is going to run you at least $250... Try looking into this kit I reviewed. Its a champ and expandable!

Wow!

I'm starting to consider replacing my H70 with one of these kits. The price is within my affordable price range plus I can always expand which is great!

Sounds like you have an above average chip, mine is at 1.43v for 4.7 and my loop is at 4c td, tdw for mine is 140 watts.

Yeah, I think I'm one of the fortunate ones that got a chip that will do 5Ghz with a decent vcore. Its a tradeoff though, my mobo refuses to run my ram at 1600 - keeps locking up even though its Corsair 1600 (even on the approved list). We'll see if I get a better one when Asus is ready to swap for the recalled boards.:rain:

Anyway, the first step is going to be a case and I can't stop looking at the H2GO from Mountain Mods.

Fits 2 2x120 rads and has divided mobo top / PS & HD compartments and is set up for WC. I like the UFO-U2 but its a bit big for the space I'm looking at. Opinions?

Yeah, tried setting them all manually as well...nogo. Only time its happy is on "auto" where it sets it to 1333. PLL voltage doesn't seem to make a difference either.

Happy to try anything at this point.

slack the timing all to about 12 one at a time and see if one in particular is limiting you.

Interesting...(I assume you are talking about primary timings), first two still locked up after about three minutes of prime, third wouldn't boot...got the "overclocking failed" screen.

I've read about that over on Xtremesystems, have the PCIe fix on, just wouldn't boot when setting the memory timings as mor suggested. The Asus boards are so fickle with memory.

We're a bit OT here, although I do appreciate the help.

Where can I find watts dissipated vs gpm/fan charts for 120.2 rads like Skinnee has for a bunch of 120.3 rads? I think I have my loop somewhat figured out but want to check the numbers to know for sure. Looks like with a 120.2 thermochill TA setup I can get to a DT of about 6 for a cpu only loop using crude numbers. I'm assuming 200 watts for the CPU.

Disspipated watts at a given dT should be 2/3 of what it would be on a 120.3...temps won't scale the same though. I feel like that might be wrong, but it's late and has been a long week and I can't think of anything that disproves me lol

Fair enough...I wasn't assuming that level of linearity anyway, shooting for overkill in case I want to parallel the GPU's (but the 400+W probably would be better off with a split loop). Too many choices and caveats to figure out tonight. Need a few weeks to fill the coffers again anyway.

My brain is full and I need to play some BF2BC before bed. I'll check in tomorrow.

Well, got the memory issue fixed...I think, 1.65 wasn't quite enough and bumping it up seems to have it. 1 hour on prime so far and still going. Haven't tried Crysis 2 or BF2BC where it seemed to be most problematic. Thanks for the help mor and others!

I think I've got my wc figured out...

I'm gonna go with this case:
mountainmods h2go

And am going to take Conundrum's advice (sort of) and go with this 'kit':
H20-220-ULTIMA-XT

From what I have read it includes a great water block and pump, the rad is pretty good for low fan noise (I don't mind if they are loud when I'm gaming or benching) and I'll throw my Black Ice GT (gen two) Stealth 120 in the loop as well just because. Can't tell if the fittings are plastic though...

I would use the kit as a baseline and shop around a bit. Here is a list of components that pretty much mirror the kit, minus hose clamps, coolant and thermal compound. The total comes out to just under $300, with the exception being that I accounted for 10 feet of tubing and the radiator and fans, are better than what the kit offers.

The radiator and fans are going to be the primary source of noise in your system, so choosing your own pair might be a better option. The MCRES always ships with plastic fittings and from the looks of it so does the radiator in the kit. I don't know what is supplied with the block. Get all the worm clamps at a hardware store for a couple of bucks. Thermal compound you probably already have. All that is left is the fluid. I personally use plain distilled water, and about a shots worth of zerex coolant.

Always leak test the system before powering up the computer.

Pump 77.99

Waterblock 69.95

Radiator 64.95

Reservoir 22.95

Tubing ~25

Fans (many others to choose) 26.00 (2x)

Fittings ~10

Hey all,

I'm using an H50 push /pull with GT-1850's now on my i7-2600k, holds steady at 4.7 GHZ with acceptable temps, but it is loud. I've always wanted to try WC and this seems like a good opportunity. I'd love to try something like a 2 x 140 rad based cpu loop but am wondering if I wouldn't be better off just going to a Noctua D14 instead. With WC I'd be looking case mods or a new case as well, not a big deal but I'm a noob at those topics. (I've been reading the documents :salute:)

I guess I'm just asking for help weighing the pro's and cons / price vs performance before diving in. Hobby plays a part in the decision, but I also would be after better cooling and much more quiet system overall (maybe even a steady 5ghz just because).

Thanks in advance.

As a watercooled n00b myself who's just installed & as you are talking about £300+ case's (mountain mods) I assume you have money to burn Loop, so my advice is defintely water makes a massive difference & takes you to a new level, all expectations filled for me.

Apart from my pump noise issue, the pc is virtually silent, with a basic fan controller of course..

Temps 20c idle 30c load, GPU 30c/50c was 40c/80c b4.

Make sure you get a GPU block as well :cool:

You wont regret.

Back