• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adware problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RIPSTER

Ive heard about the new msn virus goin round i heard that it installs loads of adware and spyware on ur pc i have just installed msn plus if your not familiar with it its an msn addon with a load of extra features.

After i installed it i got 2 internet toolbars loads of new favs changed my homepage and loadsa links on my dekstop. I rebooted in safe mode and ran all my spyware removal progs i follow the malware cleaning guide under internet section i ran everything and its still there the two toolbars someone help please?

As for that virus I have not heard of it.(I use trillian so im out of MSN loop). Asto remove the stuff I would try a few things. First adware, then Spy-bot, Then Bazooka(my favorite), then pest partol if its still their. Pest partol will cost money but it will give you easy to follow instructions on how to remove what it finds in the free ver. Also delete your Sytem restore files. Im not sure but iv heard these virus hide in there. Even though these dont sounds liek viruses. As always try anti-viruses(Panda,AVG). Some times these internet jackigns. Go as far as to alter your browser code and not just instail a app. Check microfost.com for a run command to reinstall IE that can help some times but normal Bazooka and pest partol are best for this type of stuff.

Almost forgot the main thing. Update your programs. The new adware SE is out which uses a better scanning engine so be sure to get it. pcpitstop.com can scan memory to tell you whats running to/(kind of like hijack this) once you have the name of the toolbars or apps running do a google search for removing them.

Last edited:
k thnx for info still no luck ive tried everything and i still got toolbar would reinstalling windows fix this problem?

Yes, but the down side is, you will lose all your data(of course) except for what you back up, Just make sure to delete boot sectors and all( though no spyware will hide in a boot sector) just to be safe. Also only back up the good stuff so you dont back up the spyware thing. Whats the name of the toolbar, becouse before you reinstall windows you should run a search for that/ ill help if you give me its name. Also sorry your going through this, I once had to go through this to but luckly for me pest partol got rid of it for me. :(
Also am I safe to assume your using IE? if so try out firefox its rare that a toolbar would work with it, though it has become pretty big so maybe the new toolbars work with it. Also a good app for erasing your whole HDD for a fresh install is called Eraser, Its free form download.com

Last edited:
i have just installed msn plus if your not familiar with it its an msn addon with a load of extra features.

Dude, You installed all that stuff on purpose iot is not the MSN worm. Just remove them the normal way thru add remove programs or thru turning off the toolbars in whatever browser you are using.

He may have a point, I dont think the thing you downloaded was a worm. I was just thinking you got all that stuff at some other time. If you got it right after installing that program, im geussing it was by choice, aim does things liek that to like weatherbug, and makes your homepage netscape.com to get rid of the toolbar if this is true. Do what he said add remove programs or right click on the browser and uncheck the toolbar. Sorry I feel kind of stupid now for not even considering this.

yah i know it wasnt the worm it was a c2lop spyware thingy lol and it would have been as simple as removing messenger plus from ad remove progs but... i had already ran adware progs and i had like ruined the installation of messenger so i had to reinstall then uninstall and yay its ok lol how damn stupid i feel of not thinking of this before, well we all make mistakes.

Back