• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ah the profanity, cleanse me!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UltraTaco

Lads,
Back when I was in high school, saying something like "damn" caused ringing in my ears and if it fell off my lips, the feeling was, as if a cobra placed a sting on my tongue! I don't even remember games using horrible profanities we see today. I remember captain price in call of duty saying: "Blast!! We'll have to continue on foot!", or solid snake saying "damn!"-when he couldn't reach his objective. That was the furthest a game developer would wander off...

Fast forward ten, maybe 15 years, and words like fk and sht are thrown around as if it were sand in the dust storm! Even I sometimes(often times) catch myself dropping WTF and not giving it any second thought, as if it were a mere "hello, lad, how was your day?"

I feel like I have become desensitized by the recent wave of violence and profanity. Oh the cussing!! Your roots go deep, but the plant has surfaced and the fruits are poisoning the waters, the wells of the sheep are contaminated with brimstone!

Have we become the latest victim of the gaming industry's hidden agenda? The tongues need cleansing! Nothing good is coming from profane words spoken on screens!

I just think that there are more adult targeted games now than there were 30 years ago. There's also only really been voice acting in the last 20ish years. Where obviously as time went by and space was less of a premium one could include far more dialog than a grunting sound.

That said, there was still swearing in older games. Duke Nukem is a prime example.

It's not just games. Maybe a little too much "If it feels good do it" for a few generations has made society in general more coarse. I'm sure the anonymity of the internet contributes, too. It's much easier to play the biker, the brawler, the tough guy, when the people you think you're impressing aren't looking you in the eye wondering how you got so much Cheeto dust in your neck wrinkles. LOL

Funny, profanity in games really doesn't bother me as much as bad puns/jokes or bad Aliasing. Might just be because i have a twisted sense of humor though ?

I by no means have a "clean mouth" but I do think game language is getting a little out of control. My problem with it is that I can't play my games when my kids are around because of it. I have a very limited amount of game time and it usually is when the kids are around so I end up not playing. It's not just games though, even network tv is getting bad about it.

I by no means have a "clean mouth" but I do think game language is getting a little out of control. My problem with it is that I can't play my games when my kids are around because of it. I have a very limited amount of game time and it usually is when the kids are around so I end up not playing. It's not just games though, even network tv is getting bad about it.
Yeah I meant to mention that as well, network television says just about anything nowadays that was mostly limited to cable.

I think part of it is more realistic (how many soldiers in battle are going to give an 'aww shucks, Johnny's head just got blown off!'

Not meaning to be "that guy", but wouldn't that just be a warning to what type of games you play ? I mean, i play most all genres (preference to fantasy RPG's and shooters) and i very rarely notice the swearing amid the graphical violence which to me stands out much more. Say shooters like DOOM/Wolfenstein (with the exception of the last one which was garbage)/Borderlands/CoD have very little, MMORPG's and JRPG's have almost none and in comparison more realistic graphical games in the horror section drop f bombs like sailors.

Do we have good examples of current games that have an over-abundance of profanity in them ? I mean that in the bad sense, not the "this is kinda funny" grown-up sense.

I've been Google-fu'ing for quite some time, trying to find detailed guidelines on what makes each rating tier, and it's all very vague.

#ESRB #PEGI

No worries, I left 2 hashtags. We are going to get one of their representatives chime in shortly and gives us further details.

Not meaning to be "that guy", but wouldn't that just be a warning to what type of games you play ? I mean, i play most all genres (preference to fantasy RPG's and shooters) and i very rarely notice the swearing amid the graphical violence which to me stands out much more. Say shooters like DOOM/Wolfenstein (with the exception of the last one which was garbage)/Borderlands/CoD have very little, MMORPG's and JRPG's have almost none and in comparison more realistic graphical games in the horror section drop f bombs like sailors.

Do we have good examples of current games that have an over-abundance of profanity in them ? I mean that in the bad sense, not the "this is kinda funny" grown-up sense.

I don't disagree with your there. It does reflect the games I play but each of us have our own likes and dislikes. I happen to like a action games and more often than not that means violence and the resulting language these days. Even racing games are getting a little rough on the language in the cut scenes now though. I usually just judge when I can play by the looks I get from my wife so I would have to ask her what games get bad though.

Only way around that is using headphones I guess, but then you don't dilute the language and it is all being siphoned into your ears.

I guess with graphical realism, language and gore got dragged in as well

That's nt good. See what lack of censorship does to men and children?

Back