• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AIO cooler upgrade decision

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bsfc9

Hi everyone, hoping for some advice and opinions on this. Please check the details of my rig in my signature.
I am really happy with the amount of overclock I am getting 4.4GHZ. My system is stable and runs great. Idle temps are 36-37 C and after 40 minutes of Intel Burn Test on Max(5 passes) temps were 71-73 C. Passed with no problems. I am happy with this, but...

I think a cooler that would provide a little headroom might be nice. Maybe a cooler with more radiator. My current cooler is a lowly Asetek 510LC(120x25 rad). Here's what I am considering: Antec Kuhler H2O 920(120x49 rad) or Corsair H80i(120x38 rad). Plus the idea of an aluminum coldplate(Asetek) bugs me--A statement like that at the Marshall guitar amp forum I belong to would surely brand me as a "corksniffer"--so be it! ha ha.

So what say you?

Mike

What's your current cooler? I don't see it on your sig or the first post.

I don't like the AIO coolers, I would rather have a quality air heatsink or just go full custom. Those AIO seem to be nothing but problems. That said if you're really stuck on getting one can you fit one with a double radiator?

Update: So I decided to upgrade may Asetek 510LC cpu cooler with the Asetek 570LC(120x49). I have been able to lower my fan speed by about 12% and keep the same idle temps. My full load temps in IBT on max were down by over 6.5 degrees. So I am happy. Sorry custom water lovers, I am not that hardcore--yet!
Thank you everyone.

Mike

manny, why are you so down on aoi's?

my 8 core, 5.0ghz htpc was p95 stable for hours on end with a 100 buck coolermaster sidon.
the right aio used properly is just fine.

I would like to see one of the 240 rad coolermaster/corsair AIO's go against a custom loop and see what the difference is, as these AIO's seem to becoming more and more popular but there never seems to be a test where AIO's go up against a custom loop, could be interesting to see.

my 8 core, 5.0ghz htpc was p95 stable for hours on end with a 100 buck coolermaster sidon.

When they work they're good but it sure seems like there are a lot of issues with them. I also feel that the majority of un-informed people think "water-cooling" so it has to be good. In some cases a really good Air unit will outperform the lower end ones. Plus full custom is a lot better looking! :D

I would like to see one of the 240 rad coolermaster/corsair AIO's go against a custom loop and see what the difference is, as these AIO's seem to becoming more and more popular but there never seems to be a test where AIO's go up against a custom loop, could be interesting to see.
It would be tough to test though Keny, due to the "custom" loops being just that, custom.

Unreliable would be my guess, then again, I agree completely with Mandrake.

*EDIT* lol, my show got me :p Mandrake already replied before I hit Post.

It would be tough to test though Keny, due to the "custom" loops being just that, custom.

Yeah I guess that would be tough, but most loops once you take away the gpu cooling are relatively similar, something like a d5 pump, 240/280/360 rad,res and a block, it would be good to see if its worth spending the extra $ on a loop if you only want to cool the CPU only and not a bunch of gpu's. I may invest in a AIO just to see how it stacks up against good air (don't care about noise) for benching, obviously a 240+ rad as the 120's are poop ;)

We'll I have only my CPU being cooled with my setup in my signature. If you ever need me to run some tests let me know, so you can compare. I could also put any of my other chips on a loop ie.. 4770k, 2500k, 955be, 960t, and a couple of athlons, If you need.

This is the closest I've seen to comparing an All In One liquid cooling system/LCLC to a custom liquid cooler.

The "custom" water cooler in that chart is the Larkooler SkyWater 330, which is a liquid cooling kit (they call it a liquid cooling system) that comes with a pump/reservoir combo, 240mm radiator, some rubber tubing, a copper block, some water/Propylene Glycol mix for the fluid, and various screws and fittings.

I think the Larkooler SkyWater 330 comes closer to being a custom loop than the Swiftech H220.

And besides, the H220 is nearly impossible to find in the US these days.

I think the Larkooler comes closer to being a custom loop than the Swiftech H220.

And besides, the H220 is nearly impossible to find in the US these days.

He's saying the H220 is the AIO and the XSPC kit is the custom loop.

With how good the reception the H220 had, I expected more, but cannot recommend it at all. Horribly unreliable, worse than the Corsair units for that matter.

My H100 has been ok. I've had it 3 years and no real problems. It can make a grinding sound now and then.. a sharp tap of the screwdriver against the pump usually gets rid of it, might have to do it more then once sometimes :thup:

I've had a Noctua NH-D14, and a TRUE, and this thing smacks those two other coolers around. Its hard to justify spending 100 bucks on an air cooler these days. They are huge, and get in the way. Some of them are nice to look at.. But how often do you stare through your side panel?

Do have to say the stock Corsair H100 fans really do bite. Good thing you don't have to use them!

I almost grabbed an H105, but I want to see if they change the H110 at all..

Back