• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alien Swarm (Steam)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's very fun so far.

There's one thing though, at one point I think that some alien stuck on my body or on my face, can't clearly remember (was quite dark) and I couldn't get rid of the damn thing, I dropped a health kit on the ground (as a medic, playing as Faith), it healed me, I kept trying to melee and shoot the thing off of me, but it kept sucking my health until I died, so what's the deal in such situations, do I depend on someone else's help or did I miss a way to kill that thing by myself?

whats the deal with getting infested? how do you not die?
Only way I've found is to have a medic heal you. It's actually pretty funny to see the thing faceraping you and your dude just sitting there chilling. Apparently you can punch it off a teammate if you're quick enough as well (??). Or at least me and one other dude got an achievement for that. The guy we punched still died though :shrug: :confused:

Ok to get the facehuggers off you have to do one of two things. 1) you can be high enough level to have electric armor and you can shock them off or 2) have a medic heal you. I usually just throw down two heals and that does the trick if they dont have the armor. I for one just say dont let them on you ;) The Tesla is your friend. One person in the squad should have one awesome for dealing with big units as it stuns and it just rapes everything else and there is NO FRIENDLY FIRE with it. It shuts off.

i weild a Tesla gun and a Ice Auto turret, along with 3 Tesla turrets!

Rank 15 now...

It takes two aoe medkit drops to get rid of infection.

This game is pretty fun. I remember playing the ut 2004 mod a little bit a long time ago. This version is a lot better.

Sigh. I just realized that with this game being free, VAC bans won't deter idiots.
It's a coop game so I don't know why this bothers you so much. If people are hacking just leave that game. There are plenty of people playing.

The game is free. There should be no complaining. Further more, give it some time and the mod community will have some cool stuff. It came with an editor apparently, which i guess is where most of the content will eventually come from.

The game is fun. It is like Left 4 Dead meets top down Contra. You have 4 classes, soldier, special weapons, medic and tech. Then each class has 2 different people with slightly different "stats". You go through levels fighting off aliens and completing objectives to move on to the next level. You get level ups and access to different equipment. Between each level you can change characters/equipment load out.

You need teamwork to win. Almost every level needs one tech character as the tech is the only one who can open certain doors. If the tech dies, it is usually automatic game over. Special weapons are also sometimes needed for the flame thrower to complete certain objectives. If you need one of these classes the game will not let you enter the level until the right class/equipment is obtained. The soldier is basically just good with weapons, placeable turrets, grenade launcher etc. The special weapons is the only one who can use the flamethrower which is needed and also gets miniguns. The tech is needed to open certain doors and panels. People can also equip welders so you can weld shut doors after you go through them, to stop the aliens from coming in from behind. The medic has group healing and a healing gun and is needed to cure the crazy infestors, which can 1 shot anyone in the game. Generally speaking you will have no problems with a diverse team of 1 of each class, but you don't need certain classes for each mission.

I recommend a medic on each time, and I pick the chick for her better infestation healing. The infestation basically puts a damage over time on the character and it must be healed off. I successfully healed off an infestation solo by using 3 personal med kits that I found in the same area. You can also throw down an AOE heal kit or use the heal gun medics can get later.

The game has lots of fun action, cooperative gameplay ( up to 4 at once, recommended to have 4 above normal ), some decent achievements and can have some pretty crazy difficulty where you can die easily in 1-2 hits. There are some unique aliens too, such as an alien with a shield in front. He will basically "aggro" one person and charge and everyone else has to get behind the alien and shoot away.

The game is pretty short and you can probably do the whole campaign in about one hour, maybe two. The game is fun enough where you will probably want to play at least on a few difficulties, even just to try other characters out. The game is very Left 4 Dead feeling, but it isn't as bad in the multiplayer. It is harder to grief people. Sure you can shoot them, but you can't do much damage at all honestly.

I would strongly recommend for a free download. I would even pay a good $10-$15 for the game, but not much more for such little content. For a free game though, very impressed. If more campaigns were available as DLC I would buy.

the AI in the game sux though. Nothing is more annoying then when your tech guy welds himself on the wrong side of the door and then gets eaten by the swarm you were trying to keep out. Another funny thing is when you are standing by a barrel or a post and you call your medic for health, some times they just run around the post/barrel and you for a few minutes before they quit trying to give you health...

Anyone can use the flamethrower. I play as Faith, one of the medics most of the time and it is my default weapon.

Same here, Medicgun and Flamethrower with Armor. Works great, even on insane ;)

I do not know if this was caused by the update today or not. But today I started getting massive performance issues off and on all day today. Yesterday I had full settings at 60+fps nonstop. Now it likes to dip down to 15fps. Nothing else has changed on my computer except that.

Awesome game but in case anyone is interested apparently (have not tried it) you can change it to first person mode

And the modiding potential of this game is insane.

Back