• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

All of my I7 920 930 950 fellas. Let's talk ivy bridge system options.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dominick32

Senior Solid State Aficionado
Just wanted to hear what all f my ocf buds in a similar boat are doing.

Most of us are running outdated mobos, i7-920's ,etc, video cards, and ssd's.
I have been holding off on a new mobo, CPU, gpu, and ssd for 3 years now.
What is everyone upgrading to?
New case for me, just for ****s.
3770k ivy b to upgrade my old 920 d0
Z77 mobo to update my good old x58
Keeping my dominator gt cas 7 2000 ram
Finally after many years swapping at my g1 intel x25m to a new cherryville 520, prob an 80 or 120 GB variation.
Keeping my corsair hx1000 psu.
I am also unsure whether to keep my crossfire 6970's pr sell them and upgrade to a single gtx680. I heard rumors of sluggish cf on the z77.

Well, I am getting the itch and would love to hear what you all are doing as well?

Ps- using my smartphone sorry for the grammar

Almost exactly what you are getting.

EVGA 680 gtx just one, will outperform my current dual gpu 295.
Z77 mobo either GB ud5 or switch to asus, with 3770K ivy
SSD intel 520 cherryville 240 gb (I put games on my SSD, currently have X25m 150gb almost full)
keeping my corsair hx850 psu
my ram is old, so will update, still researching ram.
keeping my case for now, since had it powder coated and cant find anything I like better. But if someone designed a not so large case that had better access for rebuilds like case labs, would buy it. I like my case but its a pita to work on.
cooling, may change waterblock or atleast have to buy new backplate for different mobo.

Almost exactly what you are getting.

EVGA 680 gtx just one, will outperform my current dual gpu 295.
Z77 mobo either GB ud5 or switch to asus, with 3770K ivy
SSD intel 520 cherryville 240 gb (I put games on my SSD, currently have X25m 150gb almost full)
keeping my corsair hx850 psu
my ram is old, so will update, still researching ram.
keeping my case for now, since had it powder coated and cant find anything I like better. But if someone designed a not so large case that had better access for rebuilds like case labs, would buy it. I like my case but its a pita to work on.
cooling, may change waterblock or atleast have to buy new backplate for different mobo.
You weren't kidding. You are pretty much identical to me. You must have good taste. Lol what about cooling? Are you definitely doing water? Or high end air?

I am currently running air, might upgrade to a nhd14 cooler to replace my aging unit.

yeah, when I saw your post, it was hey thats my new build... Going to stick with water for cpu/gpu, just always watercooled for past ~9yrs. Will buy the EVGA hydrocopper 680, just for their warranty, and never liked putting on gpu waterblocks, that and cable sleeving just refuse to do myself.

Waiting for ivy bridge myself. First 2 posts are almost my exact build with some variations. Waiting for new mobos and going ssd for the first time. 680 also.

I might actually wait for Haswell...not liking what the ES of Ivy Bridge is putting out...but I'm on the more frugal end of the people on these forums.

I couldn't wait and I got Maximus V Gene ( also because I got it in MIVG price ) that I'm checking on some configs with Celeron G530 for now :D ... great small board and has also better pcie config than most other Z77 boards ( without pcie bridge that aren't available yet ). I mean like 8+8+4 pcie , not 8+4+4. Probably because there are no pcie x1 slots.
Have a lot of memory that will make 2600-3000+ and some other parts so I'm waiting only for 3770K now ...

Last edited:
Haven't seen much that the ol' 930 can't deal with fairly well so I think I'm gonna save up and drop a lot of money when Haswell and Maxwell come out. Other than that I *might* drop in another 560ti or sell it for a 2gb version just to get by until then.

i think im in the same boat with my i7 870 @4GHZ . i think its got a fair bit of life left in it . i think im going to wait till Haswell and Maxwell come out as well . ivy bridge looks good but not worth the money for the % gain . carnt blame intel for smaller steps as amd fx was a bit of a let down .

I ain't upgrading anytime soon. First off I can't afford it, and 2nd I'm still happy with my current rig for the most part. Handles everything I throw at it. The only thing I going swap out is my dual 470's to a single 580 because of heat issues.

Now if I hit the lottery that'll be a different story.

This. Exactly this.

I'm having no issues in any games. No issues in any programs. Load times are good. Running a 920 since 2009.

I'd rather drop 2K a little further on down the line, too.

I might actually wait for Haswell...not liking what the ES of Ivy Bridge is putting out...but I'm on the more frugal end of the people on these forums.

Quote For Truth

as an alternative to 2011... Hex-core socket 1366 chips are starting to show up on ebay for under $450. Might be worth keeping a look at =)

Might be able to limp along 'ol 1366 until Haswell?

Socket 2011 needs some competition honestly. I hate how Intel right now can "gimp" their current "Extreme Edition" ... even the unreleased 3980X - it isn't certain if Intel will unlock the "full" chip for 8 cores yet.

where are thou AMD? oh yea, they're no longer pushing high-end.

MEHHH... =(

I'm still insanely torn between getting an ivy or sb-e setup. Will probably just get a GeForce 570 tho. Don't play games at the moment but will do if I get a decent gpu. Intel 520 120gb for me too.

recently upgraded to a sandy bridge for ****s and giggles cos i got a job and a load of cash same through. XD i will be thinking of moving to an ivy bridge pretty swiftly after they come out ( depending on how well they fair Vs the sandy bridge.) got myself a asus z68 gen3 which will be ready fo Ivy with a bios flash to the latest.( although im not sure how well it will perform in terms of overclocking the new IVy bridge, but if its anything like how it handles the SB ill be happy with that mobo for quite a while considering it also has pci express 3.0 compatibility.) should be interesting when they are available though!

I might upgrade to ivy bridge if Gigabyte makes a bios update for my board.

I don't see ivy bridge gaming any better than what i have now, however it would just be for the fun of it. :popcorn::cool:

I would upgrade the gpu before I even think about changing the CPU, the 1366 cpus are still beasts.

But if I were to I would wait for the second round of Ivy bridge stuff.

I went from a 2600k, to a 920....Why? Needed the mATX setup.
Now, Im back to not needing it. Im waiting to see what Ivy bridge has to offer.
Im kinda hoping my old MSI P67a-GD65 gets ivy bridge support.

But first, Im getting rid of this 4870x2. Its a power hog, its loud and it runs hot....me want 7850/70.

im not sure what the deal is with the p67 mobos and ivy bridge support. Maybe just flog your p67 and get a z68 in prep while it still has a bit of value? Or they gona bring out some new mobos with the ivy bridge release?

There are already quite a few 7 series motherboards out. I'm waiting on some reviews and roundups before I make any decisions.

Back