• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alternative to Mesh X??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Modders mesh might do the trick, couldn't tell you if it's cheaper I haven't used the stuff.

Find a local steel reseller and ask to see the Perforated Metals they have and Expanded Metal. The first one comes in alot of different sizes but its mostly sold in a 4' x 8' sheet,they can cut it for extra charge. Expanded metal is diamond shaped and I think you can get it as small as 1/4" in steel, SS and aluminum.

Lowes has quite a selection of perforated metal, i was strolling through planning my custom case build and was suprised their inventory was so extensive. You can pick from stainless steel, aluminum, copper or plastic.

I picked up a 2'x2' sheet of stainless 1/4" hex for less then $10

http://www.mcmaster.com
search for expanded metal mesh and you'll find a plethora of materials and sizes.
ItemDetailExpandedMetalRegular9303t63.gif

NettieZoom said:
Lowes has quite a selection of perforated metal, i was strolling through planning my custom case build and was suprised their inventory was so extensive. You can pick from stainless steel, aluminum, copper or plastic.

I picked up a 2'x2' sheet of stainless 1/4" hex for less then $10

I've tried both the local lowes and home depot but neither carries perferated anything, just a lot of nasty "devorative screens" with flower cut outs and the like.

Deadbot1_1973 said:
I think that's what he was talking about by the nasty flower cuts and stuff. I believe what he is after is plain old perforated sheet metal, just like the meshX, but cheaper. No fancy designs and such.

Exactly.

I settled on just using heavy duty screen for a screen door and painting it black.

Home Depot, at most stores, sells a product "expanded metal Mesh, painted" Usually found in their doors department, or near replacement window screens, It is used to cover security doors. looks just like modders mesh, is pre-painted and is quite tough. There are pics of samples of that in my big box thread that may help you.

Hmm i think today (bah stupid sleep, didnt get any.. o well, il take a few hour nap.. ) go to home depot, and find some mesh for my case, and some paint and maybe a ribbieter . (or what ever they are called) so i can redo a few things to my case..take it allpart.. :p If i finsh what i want before monday, il show pics. might make a thread for my case.. :p hmm . iv always wanted to paint my case.. *uses webcam to take a few pics and tosses it into a thread..

i was thinking of using a mesh for my window.. it has plexi glass that always gets scrached..

i found what i was looking for at Walmart a while ago. They have throw away grill screens. or Grill Liners small mesh. The ones i got were in the outside section in the grill part. i got 2 of them for 50cents i think. I was trying to find a picture of them but cant. so here is the front of my case with it on.

103_0388.jpg

I've seen some of that stuff too. But maybe you should try doubling it up? Maybe paint one layer black and leave the other layer silver. IMO the holes are too big.

I like that, i wish i could do that to mine, but i got a keylock on my door..unless i can think of an alt. to the lock it has.. hmm

gona go to home depot (well.. beg for my mother to drive me in the snow to get to it.. and spend money on me.. >><<) and il see what i can do .

all really nice ideas thanks pplz

I will prob go down to the hardware store this weekend and see what I can find in the door section.

Back