• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aluminum Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n3xu5

Hi guys i have a few questions about aluminum and working with it. If you dont know all of the answers thats fine whatever help given is what's appreciated, also if anyone has any good case modding sites that include detailed schematics please link me!
:)

1. Whats the standard wall thinkness of a aluminum case? I was guessing maybe 1-2 mm...

2. How do most people go about connecting aluminum or joining it? I'm not sure if it tack welds well or not as i have never worked with it. Has anyone used some sort of an epoxy used in making a simple aluminum box/object before?

3. Anything i might want to do to the aluminum structure once built? finishing, protecting, etc?

Once again thanks guys any help is appreciated.

what could be used to seal it? epoxy what kind?

edit: anyone know which alloy is used in most computer cases made out of aluminum?

Aluminum is a really hard metal to bond, in any fashion. Ive tried with many different methods to tack, solder and braze. Dont waste your time or money on those materials. There is an absolute artform to working with aluminum, and its not something you learn in any less than months. I do believe there is a method for welding, but it involves a strange machine that depletes the area of oxygen and blows inert gas around the welding point to keep the aluminum from melting (it will melt really easily).

Pop Rivets are your very best bet for DIY. Theres always tapping holes and using machine screws (I have also done so, but Al is soft, so it can strip out threads if stressed alot). As for wall thickness, 1-2mm is perfect. 2mm on the thick side.

If you absolutley need to have the aluminum tacked or welded, go to professionals. Though you may find skilled aluminum workers who will bond, few and far between.

Hope this helps out.

i totaly agree with everything fush just said and he is absolutely correct about all points including the O deprivation flux welding.
my father did aluminum welding for missle trailers a very long time ago and he will never do that again he says .

rivits or bolts are best bet or with a little cash you can get a case that has potential and mod it whichi think is what your trying to avoid due to standard case sizes VS cost right?

Thx for the imput Fushyuguru it helped.

Thorilan, to sum it all up, the idea you gave me about putting a rad setup with dual fans/shrouds at the bottom of a case is what i'm going to do for sure now.

Basically what i'm going to do is raise the case up no more than 3 inches and make a compartment underneath it to replace the original bottom of the case. I dont plan on cutting out the entire bottom of the case to do this only most of it :)

Since the Coolermaster Wavemaster TAC-T01 is aluminum i was thinking about appearance and similarities to keep it looking good. Thats why i figured i'd go aluminum to make the extra compartment. I dont know if there is a better metal that will look as good but i'm open to suggestions. Basically i'm going to do a lot of cutting and from there i'll have to join it somehow, and Kino mentioned rivets which sounds like a good idea.

My main concern is that this compartment add-on will also double serve as a wind tunnel for my rads. It will have 3 60mm fans in the front of it pulling about 80cfm into the compartment alone. I just didnt wanna lose airflow and was wondering if joining the cut pieces somehow or sealing them would keep airflow optimal etc.

I dont have access to any welding really and i have to figure out another way to join the piece of whatever metal i end up using to make this extra compartment.

Either of you guys still think i should use aluminum?

Yeah, Id say stick with aluminum if you want it to match as well as have good thermal properties. You could use steel, but then theres always rusting. Stainless is nice but you have to find it. Al is easy to tool beyond everything else.

If you want airtight, just use a bead of any RTV epoxy (room temp vulcanizing), that stuff will stick to anything as well as stay flexible for years and years.

Im actually making a similar encolsure for underneath my Lian Li. Ill be getting acrylic sides though so the aluminum was for a cage to hold my modded Vapochill.

Also, if you want to form aluminum, like bends ect. Get a propane torch with a wide unfocused flame and lightly go over the Al plate till it gets warmish hot. This expands the molecules in the metal, when it cools it bends much much easier. If you want to strengthen it again, just heat it up and dip it in a tub of water quickly to flash cool it. It will be stronger than before.

Last edited:
Fushyuguru said:
Yeah, Id say stick with aluminum if you want it to match as well as have good thermal properties. You could use steel, but then theres always rusting. Stainless is nice but you have to find it. Al is easy to tool beyond everything else.

If you want airtight, just use a bead of any RTV epoxy (room temp vulcanizing), that stuff will stick to anything as well as stay flexible for years and years.

Im actually making a similar encolsure for underneath my Lian Li. Ill be getting acrylic sides though so the aluminum was for a cage to hold my modded Vapochill.

Also, if you want to form aluminum, like bends ect. Get a propane torch with a wide unfocused flame and lightly go over the Al plate till it gets warmish hot. This expands the molecules in the metal, when it cools it bends much much easier. If you want to strengthen it again, just heat it up and dip it in a tub of water quickly to flash cool it. It will be stronger than before.

How handy!

I may be working with aluminum soon. Thx for the info fush.

I would stick with rivets. They have held up fine for the mods in my case. Besides, most aluminum cases are held togeather with rivets from the factory. Fushy is right about welding with aluminum being difficult. Even with lots of practice, you can still burn some nice holes in your precious project.

Back