• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am I being paranoid?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

conscript

Registered
So I know this is a topic that has been discussed in the past, but wanted to tailor it a bit more to my specific thought process. My dilemma centers on video card choices, but in regards to the AMD motherboard setup I currently have...so I figured this forum woudl be better suited for the discussion. Not to mention it might possibly avoid the potential flamefest that occassionally ensues from conversations like this.

First and foremost, I am not a fanboy either way. I can honestly say it doesn't matter to me whether it's ATI/AMD or Nvidia in my system, just that I have the best card for my situation at the time I make the purchase.

Secondly, I detest the idea of dealing with multicard issues, Xfire or SLI. I am a one card kind of guy.

Lastly, I have a U2711 coming tomorrow, so my max resolution is going on, and with it, the processing power I'm going to need to play games at that resolution with the settings I prefer.

Now to my dilemma...I often switch between AMD and Intel, and currently have the AMD setup you see below. Am I paranoid for feeling that there are little gremlins in my montherboard/cpu setup that won't play nice if I put in an Nvidia graphics card? When I have an Intel CPU, I don't think twice about it (though maybe I shoudl since the companies are probably even more at odds right now than AMD and Nvidia)...but the idea of possibly putting a GTX 480 into my rig kind of unsettles me, and I can't really put a rationalization to it. Anyone else feel this way? Or I being total nutjob? :bang head

p.s. If it wasn't obvious...I kind of really want to put a 480 in my system...but everytime I look at the page in newegg, I keep forcing myself to go back to 5870's...

So I know this is a topic that has been discussed in the past, but wanted to tailor it a bit more to my specific thought process. My dilemma centers on video card choices, but in regards to the AMD motherboard setup I currently have...so I figured this forum woudl be better suited for the discussion. Not to mention it might possibly avoid the potential flamefest that occassionally ensues from conversations like this.

First and foremost, I am not a fanboy either way. I can honestly say it doesn't matter to me whether it's ATI/AMD or Nvidia in my system, just that I have the best card for my situation at the time I make the purchase.

Secondly, I detest the idea of dealing with multicard issues, Xfire or SLI. I am a one card kind of guy.

Lastly, I have a U2711 coming tomorrow, so my max resolution is going on, and with it, the processing power I'm going to need to play games at that resolution with the settings I prefer.

Now to my dilemma...I often switch between AMD and Intel, and currently have the AMD setup you see below. Am I paranoid for feeling that there are little gremlins in my montherboard/cpu setup that won't play nice if I put in an Nvidia graphics card? When I have an Intel CPU, I don't think twice about it (though maybe I shoudl since the companies are probably even more at odds right now than AMD and Nvidia)...but the idea of possibly putting a GTX 480 into my rig kind of unsettles me, and I can't really put a rationalization to it. Anyone else feel this way? Or I being total nutjob? :bang head

p.s. If it wasn't obvious...I kind of really want to put a 480 in my system...but everytime I look at the page in newegg, I keep forcing myself to go back to 5870's...

Lol, I'm the same way...but yes you (we) are both being nut jobs. There is nothing wrong with running a strong Nvidia card in your system. The companies are in competition, but the last thing they want is issues...because who knows what side of the blame they would fall on.

Now, after admitting my personal O.C.D. issues (same as your talking about), I still don't want to run Nvidia on my current system, and I don't know why. I have another system here, running SLI with nice Nvidia cards...but for some reason I don't like to "cross-contaminate" lol.

You will be absolutely astounded by either a 5970 or a 480...either way. I haven't personally ran a 480, but from the benchmarks...OMG they are amazing. I have ran a 5870, and, OMG...it is amazing.

I think what issues we really need to work on is this single card issue you have going on, lol! j/k

Dude, I'm the same way as you, but logically, either card will be perfect. There is nothing wrong with the 480 on an "AMD" system...mush as it pains me to say it. :D

As quietice said, you can run any single card you please without any issues at all.
AMD would lose sales to the high end crowd if they didn't let top level nvidia cards run correctly.

but what about the gremlins? :screwy:

anyway, thanks...just a little support is all I needed. Maybe one or two people out there with 790 or 890 chipsets with higher end Nvidia cards by any chance could pipe in? :chair:

but what about the gremlins?

You need to exercise them. No priest is needed, just a leap of faith. Get the Nvidia 480. You will prove to yourself that this reluctance is nothing but neurotic and be released from the grip of this irrational technological bondage forever.

I plan on ordering the Gigabyte GTX 460 1G next Friday, to install on the system I just built (see below). I have been running Nvidia for so long now and have had good luck with them with the exception of the one I have now that is about 1 1/2 years old (9800gtx+ 512) that is starting to go south on me.

I am not complaining about it and I am not even going to try to get it replaced it has served me well during that time and as many of them as I have had to only have one give me issue's does not bother me at all. I have bounced between Intel and AMD and am happy with both when using the Nvidia cards. I really should be more fair to ATI but its hard to stop using Nvidia since it has done so well for me for so long, who know's maybe I am missing out on better but I like to stick with stuff that I know first hand has worked well. Anymore from what little reviews that I have followed it seems more or less a Chevy vs. Ford debate when it all comes down to it, its a matter of personal preferences and there are winners in both.

ok well I pulled the trigger on a Gigabyte 480 GTX today...couldn't pass up the 10% off Fermi code, and possibily 10% more for BCB (though not holding my breath that goes through). Will know this weekend if the gremlins play well together...

You need to exercise them. No priest is needed, just a leap of faith. Get the Nvidia 480. You will prove to yourself that this reluctance is nothing but neurotic and be released from the grip of this irrational technological bondage forever.

It is better to exorcise the gremlins than exercise them. Are they getting fat?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

It is better to exorcise the gremlins than exercise them. Are they getting fat?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

well if there are gremlins, they better be in shape. I didn't buy AMD's flagship cpu and Nvidia's flagship GPU for flabby out of shape gremlins :shock:

Back