• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am I the only 1 pissed off at AMD after reading this? Is AMD going Intel on us?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BuRgLaR

Check it out

http://techfrag.com/2017/02/06/full-amd-ryzen-series-leaked/

Taken From the above link
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just a few days after the new line of AMD Ryzen CPUs was announced, a leak has confirmed what exactly the specs are for the new processors. The top-end SR7 will feature eight cores and 16 threads, while the lower end SR3 will have four cores and eight threads. The middle child, the SR5, will be a six-core, six-thread processor. All will also come in a special “X” version that will allow for easier and more effective overclocking.

Earlier this week we already got a sneak preview of the likely versions AMD will be bringing out in March and these have now been confirmed. The exact clock speeds of some models are not yet known, but the SR7 will likely run at 3.0 GHz, with the option of being boosted to 3.6 GHz. This puts it in the same range as the high-end Kaby Lake i7s Intel is selling right now, which should ruffle the feathers of AMD’s main competitor a little.

The “X” line of the SR7 would feature a normal clock of 3.6GHz and would allow up to 4.0GHz, making it ideal for anyone that really wants to get the most out of their system. Chances are high that the SR3 and SR5 would also feature an overclocked variant, but details are as yet scarce on those. As it stands, though, each one of these will be able to handle their Intel equivalents.

At time of writing the pricing of the SR models is still unknown, but knowing AMD’s strategy, they are likely to be significantly cheaper than most other manufacturers. If all the specs in the leaked report turn out to be true, the Ryzen is going to be a force to be reckoned with over the coming few years.

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT TELL ME AMD IS GOING THE WAY OF INTEL LIKE THEY HAVE WITH "K" SERIES PROCESSORS...............................

If so I am very very disappointed............

They don't... All CPU's will be overclock-able, X, will be higher binned, for higher OC.

He's right, every new Ryzen CPU has an unlocked multiplier, this is right from AMD. The only thing that will stop you from overclocking are their low end mobos the "A" series. The other two chipset series "X AND B" have overclocking available.

But don't forget, the entire Ryzen line will likely be less expensive than their Intel counterparts. So the "X" versions should still be cheaper than their equivalent "k" versions. And the non X versions will be still cheaper.

It's the value that counts, not the marketing scheme. Anyways, I like the "X" moniker better than "k." In the computing world, "X" generally means "eXtreme." What does "k" stand for? Could never figure that out? Kadillac or something?

It will just mean AMD Ryzen buyers will need to pay a little closer attention when they purchase these.

But don't forget, the entire Ryzen line will likely be less expensive than their Intel counterparts. So the "X" versions should still be cheaper than their equivalent "k" versions. And the non X versions will be still cheaper.

It's the value that counts, not the marketing scheme. Anyways, I like the "X" moniker better than "k." In the computing world, "X" generally means "eXtreme." What does "k" stand for? Could never figure that out? Kadillac or something?

It will just mean AMD Ryzen buyers will need to pay a little closer attention when they purchase these.

Wise words!

K for... Kinky?

I imagine the X will be a higher stock clock or something

Keep in mind, folks, that ALL of this is based off of the same leak cited by the wccftech article, which is, as far as I can tell, a link to a Chinese forum page, which is, at time of writing this, a dead link. How much faith are we putting in this? Does anyone have a link to the actual original source here?

IMO, the alleged naming scheme for the lineup from this leak seems like it is copying Intel's numbering convention so hard that I almost doubt it based on that alone. If this really is their final part numbering scheme for what they will be selling these under, someone at AMD's marketing team needs a good slap upside the head. This is, like, Nintendo levels of poor product naming! :p

Last edited:
Keep in mind, folks, that ALL of this is based off of the same leak cited by the wccftech article, which is, as far as I can tell, a link to a Chinese forum page, which is, at time of writing this, a dead link. How much faith are we putting in this? Does anyone have a link to the actual original source here?

IMO, the alleged naming scheme for the lineup from this leak seems like it is copying Intel's numbering convention so hard that I almost doubt it based on that alone. If this really is their final part numbering scheme for what they will be selling these under, someone at AMD's marketing team needs a good slap upside the head. This is, like, Nintendo levels of poor product naming! :p

Can I be the only one here that can read?????? ^ I followed your link to Wccftech and looked at the chart. They show a leaked AMD to Intel CPU comparison. They show AMD X going against Intel K and the Pro going against the non K. If you look closely at the 1700 series, it is the only CPU listed 3 times. It's listed as a 1700X, Pro 1700, and just as a 1700.??????

I would have to call BS on their information :)

The chart makes no logical sense when I look at it.
It looks like something someone scribbled on a cocktail napkin in a drunken stupor

IF the X is looking to be around a $500 price point which is pure guessing at this point I think Intel's market share is going to take a severe hit

That is of course if they don't pay off OEM manufacturers to NOT install AMD procs in their systems like they did 10,15 years ago.

I'm sure shareholders are hoping stocks gonna shoot up to that magical $40+ a share mark as it did back in 2000 & 2006 which were AMD's best years.

On a lark, I was contemplating upgrading my Haswell rig. An decent upgrade would run me about $600...:-/

I've been waiting for any excuse to dump my FX even though she's been good to me and I've had no complaints as of yet.

If AMD f***s it up I'm liable to just throw a 6800k in a ASUS ROG Strix X99 board with a 1080 and call it a day as that'll do nearly everything I need at the moment minus high framerate 4k gaming.

If AMD f***s it up I'm liable to just throw a 6800k in a ASUS ROG Strix X99 board

I don't get it AMD has stated all processors will be unlocked, this info has been available for at least a month now.

Also that board seems to be problematic (although Newegg may not be the best source of data, the reviews are pretty poor and issues for users are repeated with multiple RMAs/boards)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132822

Lots of speculation about the next AMD CPU
They have done nothing to convince me they are for real.
Once retail hit's the streets we will be able to put this to bed.
I would love to see a competitive CPU from them.
However I am truly a hater of the cost / performance argument
I have more interest in balls out head to head
If they can compete in that arena I will take a look
If not they will simply be a chip for competitive hardware overclocking and budget builds

Back