• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AM+ MB help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Update thoughts...

I have looking into buying a mb for about the same price but they have so many other problem that I am just trading one fire to another with mb issues .. Right now I just don't have the money to keep putting out .. So I deciding to keep using my board but change things up.. I am looking for horizontal cooler to help direct airflow onto the mb to cool the chips but I am not sure if they make them anymore for the am+ socket?? The last one I remember was the cp-120 cooler.. Any thoughts or options ???
There's a bunch of them. Budget?

I'd get a good cooler in any config you want for the cpu and then mount a fan just to blow on the vrm.

Having a top down config blowing hot air over a hot vrm doesn't make much sense to me

Ok I am pretty much done with buying used MB without some kind of warranty.. Right now the MSI is getting RMA .. But when it gets back me I still get a 2yr warranty I think that's what is left of the original warranty .. So my options right now are either buy a MB for the $100 mark or keep and use the MSI 970 gaming which will have a warranty??I was looking at the GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+.. Also Remember guys I really don't plan on OC this chip but it might get a mild OC since I will be using this thing for gaming,youtube,and Electronic design..

Last edited:
Taking into consideration your self imposed options, run the MSI board until it is out of warranty and it dies.

somebody got smart and pulled the trigger on the saberkitty.
I would have called Dibbs but I am just scared to spend money like that on a board that might die after a months and sitting there with no money for a new MB and I have been reading alot of horror stories with trying to RMA Asus ..

TorqueRanger...

...You seem in a trap of sorts to most of us that are serious about performance as relates to cpu speed. Up to a point, the more the better. Within reason, the more the better as for cpu speed. But there is a truth here and that is you do not need any others stamp of yay or nay to do whatever it is that you 'have' to do. And as is what is said most of the time...it is the money thing. Well we or most of us or I know I do now have a money thing. It seems it is the nature of the beast to have a money thing.

You did not hear of or see me post up when about 3 weeks ago I was wrestling with needed a new AM3+ mobo. I needed to replace a borrowed CHV-Z board. I played the game in my head of SaberKitty vs CHV-Z and all the reasons why it seemed a lot silly to get a CHV-Z board and not the SaberKitty for less money. I wrestled it down in the same manner I did when I bought my original CHVnon-Z mobo. I liked the reddish accents of the CHV. Hehehe. What a freeken hoot. I will say that I have NEVER regretted the extra I paid for the Original CHV and now that finally the newer CHV-Z is sitting here in front of me...NO regrets either. I know that within the limits of electrical fallability, this CHV-Z will do what it is expected to do. Be adjustable and run with daily settings and run with cold water pushed by big pumps thru a big arse water block and with no fear of failure of VRMs if I overclock it. That was and still "is" me.

Your trap is in posting about "what to do" but not actually able to do what is suggested. Now that is a trap. You cannot buy used because you fear lack of warranty. You cannot bite the bullet and go ahead and buy a Sabertooth 990FX R2.0. Once it was determined that an RMA had to go forward, you should have just said to self and all others >> I am going to run the MSI board until it blows since I am not going to overclock it or at least not beyond an imposed limit of 4.2Ghz or very close there-to and been done with it.

Understanding where you are is just life. Few are they that can help you out of traps like you seem in. What others may think is totally and completely not relevant to 'your' situation since you are not able to move out of said situation. Therefore I concur completely with mR. sCOTT in that you get the MSI back from RMA and run it until it blows and case close and job done. Based on your preferences, that is what was going to happen in the first place. Nothing to discuss.

Save yourself some wear and tear and mental gymnastics, by getting what you can afford and want and using it. Because we are not going to change our minds about a better course of action and you are not able to take those suggested courses of action. An impasse (a predicament affording no obvious escape) is where you are and the less conflicting conversations about what you cannot do; the better your feelings about your course of action should be.

There are some things just better not discussed in a forum. One is 'what should I do'? Most especially when you know beforehand what you are going to be able to do. If one asks what 'seems' better: X or Y? Well that is going to get a myriad of responses and one can then just tally the pluses and minuses without reflection on one's own situation.

So again I suggest simply to get "your" parts and run them. Discussion is fruitless. Have a good time. Do some fulfilling computering. Job Done.

RGone...

...You seem in a trap of sorts to most of us that are serious about performance as relates to cpu speed. Up to a point, the more the better. Within reason, the more the better as for cpu speed. But there is a truth here and that is you do not need any others stamp of yay or nay to do whatever it is that you 'have' to do. And as is what is said most of the time...it is the money thing. Well we or most of us or I know I do now have a money thing. It seems it is the nature of the beast to have a money thing.

You did not hear of or see me post up when about 3 weeks ago I was wrestling with needed a new AM3+ mobo. I needed to replace a borrowed CHV-Z board. I played the game in my head of SaberKitty vs CHV-Z and all the reasons why it seemed a lot silly to get a CHV-Z board and not the SaberKitty for less money. I wrestled it down in the same manner I did when I bought my original CHVnon-Z mobo. I liked the reddish accents of the CHV. Hehehe. What a freeken hoot. I will say that I have NEVER regretted the extra I paid for the Original CHV and now that finally the newer CHV-Z is sitting here in front of me...NO regrets either. I know that within the limits of electrical fallability, this CHV-Z will do what it is expected to do. Be adjustable and run with daily settings and run with cold water pushed by big pumps thru a big arse water block and with no fear of failure of VRMs if I overclock it. That was and still "is" me.

Your trap is in posting about "what to do" but not actually able to do what is suggested. Now that is a trap. You cannot buy used because you fear lack of warranty. You cannot bite the bullet and go ahead and buy a Sabertooth 990FX R2.0. Once it was determined that an RMA had to go forward, you should have just said to self and all others >> I am going to run the MSI board until it blows since I am not going to overclock it or at least not beyond an imposed limit of 4.2Ghz or very close there-to and been done with it.

Understanding where you are is just life. Few are they that can help you out of traps like you seem in. What others may think is totally and completely not relevant to 'your' situation since you are not able to move out of said situation. Therefore I concur completely with mR. sCOTT in that you get the MSI back from RMA and run it until it blows and case close and job done. Based on your preferences, that is what was going to happen in the first place. Nothing to discuss.

Save yourself some wear and tear and mental gymnastics, by getting what you can afford and want and using it. Because we are not going to change our minds about a better course of action and you are not able to take those suggested courses of action. An impasse (a predicament affording no obvious escape) is where you are and the less conflicting conversations about what you cannot do; the better your feelings about your course of action should be.

There are some things just better not discussed in a forum. One is 'what should I do'? Most especially when you know beforehand what you are going to be able to do. If one asks what 'seems' better: X or Y? Well that is going to get a myriad of responses and one can then just tally the pluses and minuses without reflection on one's own situation.

So again I suggest simply to get "your" parts and run them. Discussion is fruitless. Have a good time. Do some fulfilling computering. Job Done.

RGone...

Thank you so very much for that ...My only problem left is whether to buy a good C style cooler or just stick with the Spire Exclipse II or stock Amd cooler ???

T_R you got to learn...

...learn to do some searching on your own. Everything is not really up to someone else to find the answer to.

Take a look and see the ranking of that Air Cpu Cooler you say you have. Top of that list with 2 fans and second to itself if only one fan. Ain't NO way in hale I would not use that air cooler if air cooling is what you are going to use. The only thing to wonder about is if it mounts where it blows air out the rear of the case. I had to buy an adapter to let me mount my Xigmatek to blow out the rear of the case.
But there is certainly no wondering about if the 'spire' you have should be swapped for some silly C-Type cooler. No way in hale.

That Spire is even ranked in that listing ahead of the NH D-14 Noctua.

RGone...

...learn to do some searching on your own. Everything is not really up to someone else to find the answer to.

Take a look and see the ranking of that Air Cpu Cooler you say you have. Top of that list with 2 fans and second to itself if only one fan. Ain't NO way in hale I would not use that air cooler if air cooling is what you are going to use. The only thing to wonder about is if it mounts where it blows air out the rear of the case. I had to buy an adapter to let me mount my Xigmatek to blow out the rear of the case.
But there is certainly no wondering about if the 'spire' you have should be swapped for some silly C-Type cooler. No way in hale.

That Spire is even ranked in that listing ahead of the NH D-14 Noctua.

RGone...

Sorry I was really asking but just kind of thinking out loud ... I plan on using the Spire after I get everything setup with the stock cooler .

Update time

I got a response from Msi RMA department and they sent me a replacement one and it should be here Wednesday of next week ...
The report says 03/26/2015 Sales/RMA NG buffer for repair run .. I am not sure what it means but the same day they sent me a tracking number I guess for a replacement MB..

I can't wait...

That bit about the 'buffer' means they are sending you an already repaired motherboard and not waiting on fixing yours. If you had logged the serial number of the board you sent in...you would not have that same serial number on the board you get in the mail. Least that is what it means normally for most mobo companies.

RGone...

I just got my replacement mobo from MSI and yea it didn't have the same serial, plus I ran a mark across an indiscriminate part to make sure.
its just faster turn around that way. my replacement booted up and worked like it should so I don't think your should be any different. I was quite pleased with their RMA service to be honest.

your mobo just got tossed ina tub with a note on it saying what was wrong with it and it'll get fixed eventually and be some one elses replacement. if its repairable.
mine would be easy if they used socketed bios chips still, easy fix for them still I guess...

Update Time..

I am very happy with MSI RMA process but have one problem .. When I got the new rebuilt MB it was really warped and I am not sure to run it or just return it for a possible upgrade for my troubles..

Lol yeah yeah ..
But is it good or bad for a mb to warped ?? I was hoping to upgrade to the MSI 990 Am+ for the aggravation..

Back