• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AM3 mobo with high HTREF scalability

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neuromancer

Looking for a new OC motherboard, with the capability of high HTREF and CPUNB clocking.

Ideally would like to get mobo and DDR3 1600MHz ram cpaable of running at least 6-6-6 for about $200.

Price is not firm but I do not want to drop another $150 on a board that can not overclock nonBE chips like my ASUS M4A79 Deluxe

Want to try AM3 because I see some real OC potential across the board as well.

The M4A79T- Deluxe is a great board but outside your budget.

As far as a good Gigabyte board you can go with UD4P

DFI like nothing else , new DFI board from the UT series is coming out in September, something am looking forward to , there is a thread about it on XS .

The M4A79T- Deluxe is a great board but outside your budget.

As far as a good Gigabyte board you can go with UD4P

Yah.

Googled it anyway, and pointed me to a board that is only ~100 but AM2+
MSI 790GX

Will also check out results of that gigabyte board. Thanks :)

My board the 790fx-gd70 is over budget but will do what you need, maybe it's smaller brother the gd65 is more in your range and shares the same htref clocking as my board?????

htref.jpg

Not sure If you have to up the chipset voltage to get higher but leaving nb volts at 1.26 and all other volts as set up in my sig. I managed to get to 325 htref, 340 would'nt boot but I'm not sure if raising some voltage somewhere would make it possible, It also has a function that will limit the overclock until windows has booted, should have tried that

Last edited:
Nope. I am building my sister a computer so I got her the Am2+/Am3 version of the UD4P. It is not the Am3 version so it will be done with some gskill 1066 @ 5-5-5-15, but I will see relatively what the giga boards will. :shrug:

That is the exact board I was using before I got my msi board I have in my sig. It was solid but to me really finnicky about memory. for me It also maxxed out HT around 65-70 but that may have been just my particular board. Besides that It had a great bios setup and was really really stable for the money.

the reason I asked you If you were talking about the ud5p was you had stated you were going am3 sometime soon. I missed the am2+ part in your post.

Oh yes. I am going Am3+DDR3 this christmas. I may also go water, but we will see on that one. I am going to get a set of patriot 1600mhz @ 7-7-7-20 and a the ud5p in Am3 only version. :thup:

what happened changed your mind on the mushkin???? I have the ocz platinum low voltage but could'nt get it stable at 1600, I had been googling for the patriot amd gamer edition low latency (i think that is how it's listed) which is shown on their website but noone has it that i know of, newegg has the enhanced latency which is 8-8-8 timings at 1600. The amd gamer edition is 1.6 to 1.7v so will be easier on the IMC if what the memory reps are saying is true. Also corsair is releasing a set of 1600 with 6-6-6 timings, If that is not outrageously priced I will be getting that because as some testing has shown, 5-5-5 at 1333 is superior to 1800 mhz bandwidth and speeds and if it's already cas6 at 1600 it should do 1333 cas 5 easily.

Well, I saw in a previous thread that a member got a UD5P and had zero issues running the same patriot set @ 1600mhz @ 7-7-7-20. I will probably end up tightening the timings and running 1333 @ cas 5 or 6, but I would like the peace of mind in knowing it will work with my board.

yeah memory issues suck, however when i was googling my board and any potential probs. with the memory I have working at 1600 I saw a post at XS where chew got the same kit as mine working at like 1650-1700 range with 7-7-7-24-27 1t. When I asked at ocz what was the deal about not working at 1600 they give the same crap I have been telling a few folks If you cant get it to work at 1600 drop the speed and tighten it up. I wonder why this particular mem. i have is so hard to come by, it's like the ddr2 blade low volts, maybe there is a problem with the binning and not many kits pass at the low voltage and tight timing, I really should insist a rma and make them get me a set that will work at advertised specs.

Yeah. I figured I would just take it safe and I am sick of having issues with low quality stuff so I am going big times! Might even be doing a 120.2 + Apogee GTZ cpu loop as well! But that is another $250-300 on top of the $180 for the board and $90 for ram. Then I have to get another Antec 300 for myself and a new HDD for my mom's rig. I am looking at like $600-700 this Christmas, but luckily, my birthday is January 19th and is easily minced in with Christmas :D.

Patriot ended up being the one brand that seemed to work right on my 790fx-ud4p at least for 1066 ddr2, I also had some ocz ddr2 800 which ran 880 4-4-4-12, I felt that either brand would work, and given that I am leery about the high voltage ram after what patiots tech support told me (not to put more than 1.92v into ram rated for 1.9 because of fear of roasting the IMC) I ended up going with the ocz amd special. I figured if it was specifically tested for am3, it would work. Bad thing is it even costed like $102 once i figured in $6 shipping and tax. I probably will buy the corsair dominator 1600mhz once it has been released for a few months and gets to decent prices. It is supposed to be cas 6 1600mhz, that should rock. I am tempted to go quad core but you know what, I feel that towards the end of next year am3 will mature, and maybe there will be new quads out that can run 1600-2000mhz ram easily.

Know what you mean about the birthday too, mine is the 13th of January, guess 13 for me cant be a unlucky number.

Come on someone give some more suggestions to motherboards me and chance have run away with this thread but Nueromancer still needs some Input about boards with high htref clocks!!!!!!!!!!

My Asus M4A79T Deluxe runs my Mushkin 966601 DDR3 at around 1500MHz at 6-6-6-18 after overclocking. HT can go over 290 with a low-multiplier Phenom II 955. I get a performance CPU score of about 12800 in 3DMark Vantage.

yeah memory issues suck, however when i was googling my board and any potential probs. with the memory I have working at 1600 I saw a post at XS where chew got the same kit as mine working at like 1650-1700 range with 7-7-7-24-27 1t. When I asked at ocz what was the deal about not working at 1600 they give the same crap I have been telling a few folks If you cant get it to work at 1600 drop the speed and tighten it up. I wonder why this particular mem. i have is so hard to come by, it's like the ddr2 blade low volts, maybe there is a problem with the binning and not many kits pass at the low voltage and tight timing, I really should insist a rma and make them get me a set that will work at advertised specs.

Lot of his runs are with ridiculous NB speeds. Maybe that helps with clocking the ram? Also have you adjusted the strength of your ram? (DQS Settings). Or Skew? (Do not know if that is an option on DDR3)

For some reason when i sub threads so i can respond, it defaults to none notification lol.

Ended up selling my 550BE so AM3 board is no longer necessary. Rocking my 920 again, and it is rocking well on the Foxconn, hoping to get an even 300 HTREF clock on it tomorrow

Old thread new rule

If board costs more than $100 or is made by ASUS it will not pass 300 htref without an act of god :)

FYI M4a79 Deluxe recommended earlier in this thread? HAd it when I was looking for an high HTREF board.. . **** dont do past 260 without... some old revision 930 bios... which cant be installed unless you have old rev board will do 300+ but barely.

Thinking only option is biostar.

Back