• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AM4+ soon or no?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

I'm just asking in case I missed something, is AM4+ in the pipe for a soon release date or would I be good for a year or two if I upgraded next month?

I did some of the googling of the inter-webs and found a 2019 "possible" spec date but no market dates and I was considering going middle road 2600/2600X and a x470 chipset (fer dem overclockins [if X]) and I didn't want to get immediately screwed if it was locked and loaded to be out within a short time.

I just figure ram prices are tolerable at the moment and I wanted to go NVMe for a boot drive... you know minor update things

Best guess for Zen2 would be March 2019 as long as AMD doesn't run into yield issues with 7nm

hmm 6 months...

I guess the likelihood of backwards compatibility is going to be pretty high though given the track record

I have had no indication to the contrary, pretty sure this socket is supposed to run through at least one more gen after Zen2

AMD has stated on about a bajillion different occasions that AM4 will remain their gamer/consumer socket until at least 2020.

AMD has stated on about a bajillion different occasions that AM4 will remain their gamer/consumer socket until at least 2020.
If OP is aiming for full Ryzen 2 (not 2xxx, but the 8nm release) compatibility, there most likely will be a new chipset for the new processors. I would expect it would be similar to the x370->x470 chipset change. No insider info or anything, just my WAG at it.

I'm just asking in case I missed something, is AM4+ in the pipe for a soon release date or would I be good for a year or two if I upgraded next month?

I did some of the googling of the inter-webs and found a 2019 "possible" spec date but no market dates and I was considering going middle road 2600/2600X and a x470 chipset (fer dem overclockins [if X]) and I didn't want to get immediately screwed if it was locked and loaded to be out within a short time.

I just figure ram prices are tolerable at the moment and I wanted to go NVMe for a boot drive... you know minor update things

As far as I know AMD wont release something in Q2, they will do in early Q3. Maybe end of July just like ThreadRipper 2 event. Of course we will have some good speak peaks ar CES and Computex.

AM4 is compatible with Zen, Zen+, Zen2 and 1 more generation (maybe Zen2+). This will align to AM4 compatibility up to 2020 regarding AMD statements.

Remember there are some DDR5 samples out there so that will be the standard hopefully from 2020 to 2021 for early adopters.

Regards

Remember there are some DDR5 samples out there so that will be the standard hopefully from 2020 to 2021 for early adopters.

Yeah, because the financial rape crisis that is DDR 4 is sooo much of a bottleneck, performance-wise. Gotta have yet another RAM screwing. I'll pass for a while on DDR 5.

As far as I know AMD wont release something in Q2, they will do in early Q3. Maybe end of July just like ThreadRipper 2 event. Of course we will have some good speak peaks ar CES and Computex.

AM4 is compatible with Zen, Zen+, Zen2 and 1 more generation (maybe Zen2+). This will align to AM4 compatibility up to 2020 regarding AMD statements.

Regards

Typically if AMD follows pattern the new Zen2 AM4 CPUs should be arriving late march early April. Possible APU in Feb based on Zen+

Back