• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 965 BE @ 4.0ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pigpottomus

Hey all, so for the last 2 days, decided to overclock beyond 3.8Ghz with no voltage tweaks,. Had gotten BSOD's 3.9-4.1, still a noob to overclocking CPU. ^_^ But so far it seems to be stable @4.0ghz.... Was looking at this thread from here as kind of an guide. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=738465&page=2

The thing is, I had gotten it to be @4.0ghz yesterday with Prime 95 running for an half an hour and when i went to go play BF4, it BSOD on me within 2 minutes or so... i didn't take a look at that thread yet, basically just upped the cpu multiplier and cpu voltage. Now i had upped other things too. Just wanted to know if i should keep an eye out for anything, maybe a few tips and tricks??
Thanks! :D

Oh yeah current picture of it,. Sorry if its all crammed up. Currently around 46c under H100i.
Capture.JPG
EDIT** Just BSOD about 40-50 minutes into Prim 95, Upped NB to 2600mhz and NB voltage to 1.25
EDIT2** Cores are starting to have errors,. Guess i have to up more Vcore? Currently @ 1.5v now

Last edited:
We so our better work when we and you are on the same page. We have used the process below for more than the two years I have been helping in this forum section and it gets all singing the same stanza of the song.

These are the types of information that most users supply in order to be able to help them very much.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

You can upload more than 3 images by repeatedly use BROWSE for file to upload. Images will appear in the post in the order they are uploaded unless you physically arrange the images differently.

oops, should of done individuals, but here they go.

Capture.JPG
Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture3.JPG
Capture4.JPG

I decided to try out doing the FSB way of Ocing it since 2/3 of the cores kept on giving me errors from prime 95 after about a few minutes, So far FSB has been doing good,. its only been about 12 minutes though. ._.

Your temps look good. Bottom line is you need to be able to pass 2 hours prime blend, if you can do that you shouldn't have issues running BF4.

Looks like you would be utilizing your 1333 MHz memory bandwidth more fully if you would lower the CPU multiplier and keep in increasing the FSB. Of course, you would also have to keep an eye on the HT Link speed and the CPU/NB to make sure they don't exceed stable limits. Your HT Link at 2400 MHz is already quite high. I would knock that down. Remember, when you increase the FSB there are three other frequencies that also climb since they are tuned to it: Memory, HT Link and CPU/NB.

And oh, you should also know that CPU-z doesn't express memory frequency in DDR3 terms, it uses the memory bus frequency which is half of the DDR3 frequency. So at 480 MHz it is doing 880 MHz in DDR3 terms. Way below it's rating of 1333.

Your temps look good. Bottom line is you need to be able to pass 2 hours prime blend, if you can do that you shouldn't have issues running BF4.

Yup passed the tests, about 2.5 hours :D

Looks like you would be utilizing your 1333 MHz memory bandwidth more fully if you would lower the CPU multiplier and keep in increasing the FSB. Of course, you would also have to keep an eye on the HT Link speed and the CPU/NB to make sure they don't exceed stable limits. Your HT Link at 2400 MHz is already quite high. I would knock that down. Remember, when you increase the FSB there are three other frequencies that also climb since they are tuned to it: Memory, HT Link and CPU/NB.

And oh, you should also know that CPU-z doesn't express memory frequency in DDR3 terms, it uses the memory bus frequency which is half of the DDR3 frequency. So at 480 MHz it is doing 880 MHz in DDR3 terms. Way below it's rating of 1333.

Thanks for the tip! :D but wait,. i thought its the Dram frequency x 2? wouldn't it be 960mhz instead? or am I wrong here? lol But yeah, tonight was the first night i actually tried overclocking. ._. so still newby at some stuff.

Yep, 960 MHz on the DRAM. My math is deficient tonight. But still, you should try to squeeze some more out of that component.

And watch your memory timings as you approach 1333. Now that the DRAM frequency is on Manual the timings may not dynamically adjust correctly and may need some tweaking. Refer to the JEDEC #3 column for guidance as to what they should be.

It was a lil late last night when I posted so I'll comment more. It's great that you passed 2.5 hours of prime, but I agree with Trents, you're running the Dram way to low. The performance gained by the overclock will be hindered by the Dram running so low. What I would do is put the Dram Multiplier back up to "1066 or 3:8" which would give you 1280 Mhz at your current FSB keep everything the same and re run prime just to see if it still passes, which it should. You may even be able to run the Dram higher then 1333 but that will take some tweaking, leave that for a later date. Another option is setting the FSB back to 200 and putting the multiplier to 20, set the Nb Frequency to 2400 and leave the Ht Link at 2000. Raising the Ht Link to 2400 really shows no benefit in day to day computing. Also set the Dram back to 1333 and run prime. Personally on my 955 I found that running the Nb Frequency @ 2600 was the sweet spot and I was able to run my DDR3 1600 sticks at close to 1700 mhz for 24/7 stable clocks, but that was my rig and different components. Your 1333 sticks and/or your Cpu may not be able to run above 1333 mhz and only testing will determine that. This is all up to you, up at these clocks speeds you playing around with settings and seeing what works on your setup is the best way to learn. Just make sure you keep the temps in check and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Well, this morning turning on my computer, it beeped 3 times, which means Base 64k ram failure? according to MS AMI post beep codes. So i turned those settings back to normal and decided to go with the multiplier again. Now its set to 4100mhz running prime95 stable so far.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture4.JPG

Forgot to down the NB frequency a bit..

Nothing wrong with keeping the NB freq at 2400 if it passes. If it doesn't you may need to drop it just to find stability at 4.1 then raise it back up to re find stability with it raised

Alright, i think i found an stable clock that i want to be at, @4.1Ghz with max temps around 46-47c, i think i could go a little bit farther, but considering that its winter and cooler, and being in the basement, it should be good till summer. Ran Prime95 for about 3 hours with no errors. Idle temps now are about 32c. Oh yeah, also went back to CPU frequency, as the multiplier way crashed on me 1 hour or so into prime95

Capture.JPG
Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture3.JPG
Capture4.JPG

Thanks for the tips and help guys! But what do you guys think now? should i adjust something? And how'd you guys think i did for a first time CPU oc'r? lol

Last edited:
You passed 3 hours prime with the settings posted above? Wowzers that's pretty good, considering you have the Ram timings tightened and overclocked. :thup:

That Crucial ram you got is apparently, a cut above the average bear 1333 ram.

Because you have it stable at 1460 MHz and it's rated for 1333. And you've got it stable at nice, tight timings too. Look at the numbers in the CpU-z memory tab, which tells us what the bios settings for your ram currently are. Compare them with the numbers in the JEDEC #3 column in the SPD tab of CPU-z, which is what the manufacturer suggests at given frequencies.

Because you have it stable at 1460 MHz and it's rated for 1333. And you've got it stable at nice, tight timings too. Look at the numbers in the CpU-z memory tab, which tells us what the bios settings for your ram currently are. Compare them with the numbers in the JEDEC #3 column in the SPD tab of CPU-z, which is what the manufacturer suggests at given frequencies.

Ah I get what you mean now! :D

Back