• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD AM2 and Phase

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Electron Chaser

Senior Delta Fanatic
From what I have been reading the new mount for the AM2 is totally different has anyone heard anything about anyone designing a new mount for us Prommie users? I am thinking about upgrading when it is released.

I have been wondering similar about my vapochill XE, however I'm optimistic that just possibly if you pull off the big plastic piece of crap retention mechanism there will be the right holes in the board.

>HyperlogiK< said:
I have been wondering similar about my vapochill XE, however I'm optimistic that just possibly if you pull off the big plastic piece of crap retention mechanism there will be the right holes in the board.

From what I have read the hole locations are completely different.

A few quotes from Tom's Hardware review.

Page 3

The introduction of the Socket AM2 platform will also change the current cooler specification, forcing the cost of a new thermal solution on those Socket 754/939/940 folks willing to upgrade. The change does not affect the maximum dimensions of the mounting frame, nor the cooler, but it redefines the clamping mechanism. This is no issue for the big players (system integrators and OEMs), but enthusiasts might have to throw their existing high-end cooling solution out of the window.

We were able to install a simple Socket 939 cooler, which should be possible with some products that are around. However, any cooling solution that has to be screwed directly to the motherboard definitely cannot be used any more, as there are now four rather than two mounting holes. Still we hope that high-end cooler vendors will offer modified mounting kits for their premium products.

Page 13

The changed mounting mechanism for the CPU cooler will annoy enthusiasts who spent a lot of money on a sophisticated, motherboard-mounted solution. However, we expect average Joe to be good to go with the boxed cooler or other 3rd party products that certainly won't be more expensive due to this change.

with phase cant you just get a plastic cutting board and make a new mounting plate out of it?
Im not exactly sure what the mounting hardware of the pre-fab phase units is like but from the pictures Ive seen the plastic plate is what would need different hole locations for a "new" socket.

Agree with greenmaji- when there's a will, there's a way. After seeing the sort of stuff people mounted to Dothans, AM2 will be a pushover.

That may be, but if a conroe is easier to mount your phase change to, and a better processor then why struggle with an AM2?

I am quite curious as to whether I can mount mine to a socket F opteron.

well.. if your mount is socket T compatable then sure Conroe will be a snap to mount to but it would really depend on what you want.. If you, the SS overclocker, would give AM2 a chance it just might turn out to be a competitive proc, then again you might want to wait and see whats up with the Conroe hubub..
Socket F..... if it doesnt bolt right up, back to the wallyworld cutting board theoy ROFL..
I know both of you could get it done and get it done with athority ;)
This conroe business has us all confused as to what to do.. Im not likeing the waiting game either :(

greenmaji said:
Im not likeing the waiting game either
:bang head

It's beginning to look like Conroe really is the only path...the real question is not if but when. AM2 might be a hold over if Conroe ends up taking too long.

Personally I'm glad. Even though its a hassle, having a four-hole mount is soooo much better than this jury-rigged two-hole job on the 939.

Better pressure distribution and more stability = less risky to remove your ihs

I have been doing a lot of reading and research lately and unless AMD does something drastic, based off the initial reports I may just end up staying with Intel and going with the Conroe instead. However I like to keep my options open and my bases covered.

I was discussing this with a guy at the last LAN I went to, and he said 'why on earth don't you just get both? vapochills are cheap as anything these days'

I just stared at him with a raised eyebrow, until I was sure that he was both a student and being serious. ;)

I am wondering tough, with DDR2 RAM rated up to 1.1 GHz, overclocking would go alot simpler, wouldn't it? AMD said it will officially support DDR2-800, wouldn't that make the HT run at 400 MHz? that's already high for standards on s939...

@>HyperlogiK< :eek: Wow.. thats, well intresting..

@oxid... my guess is that AM2's are going to suffer from low multi's like conroe (as a result from the high standard buss).. so unless you can really OC the FSB/HT hard 500+ good OC results will be left to the higher end chips, if the motherboards dont start deliving :(

Back