• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD APU Gaming PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nonanon

Hey all,

I'm working on making a new gaming PC, and because of the specific requirements I'm needing (budget, upgradeable/future-friendly, small) I've settled on using an AMD APU mini-itx. I was going to get a Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WiFi mobo and some cheap APU, and upgrade it to the A10-7890k when it comes out. However, since the 7890k is apparently the last of the FM2+ APUs, it won't be possible to upgrade the APU past the 7890k. I've read about some new APU named Caveri to succeed Godavari, but I've also read contradictory reports on whether it will use socket AM4 or FM3. So, I have a few questions here...

1: Does anyone know the expected release dates of the 7890k and caveri APUs?

2: What mobo would you recommend for a future-proof APU gaming PC?

3: Should I wait until AM4/FM3 mobos become available?

TY! Can't wait for ZEN!

:D

the apu's graphics are geat for angry bids and net flash games and not a lot else.
what games do you enjoy the most and at what resolusion?

@caddi_daddi

We're going to be using blender and second life at first, with a clear upgrade path to playing current games (fallout 4 etc...)

your putting yourself against the wall then.
you will need to overclock the apu cores to 4.5, and that means watercooling and the onborad graphics just suck.

if you want to go with an apu your going to have to add a gpu anyway, and that's fine, I do that.
that rig is an a8-6600k on an asrock fm2a88x extreme6 board and either a gtx770 or a gtx760 and on the used market these cards can be had at a very good price for the performance, these cards are right at and just over the performance of the 280x cards.

caddi_daddi:

Exactly! That's the future upgrades I'm referring to.

Just a suggestion instead of getting an Apu why not grab one of the new Athlons that are out such as an AMD Athlon X4 860K. Pick up a used Gpu and you're good to go.

Right, or get a used gaming PC on ebay. But aside from value and upgrade ability, I also need small and quiet. Anyway, right now I'd just like to know more about current/future APUs (shamelessly points back to OP) XD

Right, or get a used gaming PC on ebay. But aside from value and upgrade ability, I also need small and quiet. Anyway, right now I'd just like to know more about current/future APUs (shamelessly points back to OP) XD
From what I have read this FM2+ platform is dead, the next generation will be on the AM4 socket. I do not believe that there will be any more new Apu's coming out past the Godavari chips. What is your budget?

Back