• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Cards / HD7870 Major Problem ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gh0sT-NoVa

Guys i not sure if anyone of you notice but i think AMD 7000 series GPU users will. Specially for HD 7870.

You guys heard of this problem ? While you gaming all sudden , your screen turns black , then there's a loud buzzing noise ! You can't do anything but reset your PC , you cant even bring up task manager.

What i heard that is the AMD cards all of the 7000 series have a major problem.
This problem already existed since 3000 series what i heard ( I have a 5830 never got it before though )
But then again i heard some said only Sapphire 7000 series cards have problem , some said only Sapphire HD 7870 have problem.
I even heard some saying Nvidia cards have the same problems zz

I just got it today.....zz my PC its only 2 weeks old , i was playing Diablo3 , latest patch 1.05 and latest Catalyst 12.10 , all sudden i got the black screen of death !

Had to reset my PC , i been playing all other games so far have no problem , till now i play Diablo 3 ( i didnt play D3 for sometime not till today which its after 1.05 patch ) I didnt even OC my card or anything like so , my card wasn't overheating.

My friend got this problem already for more than 5 times , not to mention his is a Sapphire HD 7970 + 7950 ! He said any games he play he gets it zzz , his brother's PC too , and his brother's PC is an Asus HD 7870 its not even a Sapphire.

Many people over the world too got it they are all over the forums everywhere !

So is anyone else experiencing the same thing ? So im literally wasted RM 869 on a GPU which cant be fix ? Some people RMA it too it have same problem.

So what can we do, nothing ?

Check out this guy when he playing BF 3

One of the forum i found same problem

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=364498

Well from the looks of that video it crashes when there's a spike in the gpu requirements.

(All the different light sources, the mizzel flash, so on so )

Edit: reread first post:(

Try playing Diablo on lowest settings just to prove the theory. If it crashes card is fooked (rma is only option) if its only on the higher settings could still be a bad card but since it appears to be specific to load under certain games I'm thinking it could be a driver problem.

Have you tried rolling back or reinstalling the CCC drivers?

Does that make sense?( not being condensending I'm just not great at explaining things haha)

Are you experiencing it too ?

No i haven't try and its no point , i seen people got this problem since Catalyts 12.4 !

Now its 12.10 and still same problems ! As i said many people even RMA for a new one , problem still presists.

And i think mine its a later batch , as for you know Sapphire HD 7870 when first released its 2 Sapphire Logo on the fans , mine is a Dual-X instead.

Someone too said the same thing , he previously its a Sapphire Logo , then he RMA it and ended up with 2 Dual X on the fan now like mine.

As a reminded my PC its only 2 weeks old , BIOS is latest ( latest Mobo from Asus , P8Z77-M they updated already before they sell it )

This is the older HD 7870

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/5767/7870OEFront.jpg

This is mine

http://programming4.us/image/102012/15/14327352.jpg

Check out the comments in his youtube vid.

The guy said he RMA it , but haven't have any problems so far , but he also bought a sound card , but his comments only been passed 2 days maybe the problem still havent hit him.

Hmm, that's not good at all. Surely if the card is defective you would be entitled to a refund not just rma?

I've never come across this issue before unfortunately:(

Have you tried GPU z and make it create a log of the gpu you may be able to ascertain when and what the problem is.

Might have to chuck a bit more voltage to it to give it some more headroom(should work out the box:()

I had this problem! In Metro 2033, I got maybe 5-10 minutes in, the very first time you encounter the monsters of the surface, and as soon as they jumped down from the top and we had to fight them, black screen, frozen with a very loud buzzing noise.

Cat 12.3, 12.4B, 12.6 and 12.8Bs. None of them fixed it until I re-installed windows.

never happened to me and I have a 7970

What brand you using ? I heard my friend his brother's Asus 7870 too get the same problem , some people using Gigabyte also have it.

Hmm, that's not good at all. Surely if the card is defective you would be entitled to a refund not just rma?

I've never come across this issue before unfortunately:(

Have you tried GPU z and make it create a log of the gpu you may be able to ascertain when and what the problem is.

Might have to chuck a bit more voltage to it to give it some more headroom(should work out the box:()

Your using a Sapphire HD 7870 too ??

About the GPU-Z how do you do it can you give me a guide , i never use it before.

LOL RMA / Warranty here is super hard and troublesome , you will understand if you live in this **** of a country. Im not being racist and all and i myself is a CHINESE ! Well you won't know how CHINESE people do things, anything money involve its going to be hard.

If i want a RMA / WARRANTY here it most probably turn out to be like this , you go back to the shop , you explained the problem , they put on to their PC , they start it up , then they said , hey it works fine , sorry no warranty specially no refund , there's literally no such thing is refund here or even exchange this card HD7870 for another same value item.

That's the biggest headache for me now. Even Sapphire agrees to RMA / Warranty i not sure does the shop even know of this and will they agree to it.....I would have to try though but chances are thin all im saying. IF so im dead , im totally broke no way in hell i can afford for a new GPU now zz

But i saw some people RMA the card they still had the same problem zzz

Also not im still not very sure is it my card problem / software / is it Diablo3 as i mentioned , other games i play works fine never happen before , till i started Dialo3 again yesterday ! I dare not even touch Diablo3 now zz

I bought this PC / GPU on October 13 , think mine its a later batch of GPU

I had this problem! In Metro 2033, I got maybe 5-10 minutes in, the very first time you encounter the monsters of the surface, and as soon as they jumped down from the top and we had to fight them, black screen, frozen with a very loud buzzing noise.

Cat 12.3, 12.4B, 12.6 and 12.8Bs. None of them fixed it until I re-installed windows.

How long have you not experience the problem anymore ? Its is only in Metro2033 and is it always the same thing you do causes it to happened ?

So you just simply re-install your Windows and ur good ??

How long have you not experience the problem anymore ? Its is only in Metro2033 and is it always the same thing you do causes it to happened ?

So you just simply re-install your Windows and ur good ??

Since I re-installed Windows when I bought my new CPU. So, a few months now.

I could reliably make the freeze happen in Metro. It happened a few times in Deus Ex: HR, BF3, Mass Effect 3 and GTA IV. Stock, overclocked and underclocked, didn't matter I got the freeze eventually. In Metro I was able to play a good 30 minutes before freezing by keeping the clocks stock. Overclocking seemed to have sped up the process a great bit. Somewhere between updating to 12.4Bs from 12.3 Cats, the black screen was introduced and only fixed with a fresh install.

http://computer-outlines.over-blog.com/m/article-58263296.html

Great GPUz step by step. Do as it says but run Diablo as your normally would or any other game you experience crashing in.

Once you're crashed you can load the log to see if anything in specific happens at the point of crash. E.g volts drop, fps spikes, temps jump even if the fan rpm changes.

From this we may be able to create a fix:)

Sorry to hear RMA Is so difficult:( it's not easy where I live but your situation sounds a lot worse.

I have a msi 7850

Since I re-installed Windows when I bought my new CPU. So, a few months now.

I could reliably make the freeze happen in Metro. It happened a few times in Deus Ex: HR, BF3, Mass Effect 3 and GTA IV. Stock, overclocked and underclocked, didn't matter I got the freeze eventually. In Metro I was able to play a good 30 minutes before freezing by keeping the clocks stock. Overclocking seemed to have sped up the process a great bit. Somewhere between updating to 12.4Bs from 12.3 Cats, the black screen was introduced and only fixed with a fresh install.

Wao your situation sounds very complicated lol , mine its a new build i bought everything together everything now it only 2 weeks old

http://computer-outlines.over-blog.com/m/article-58263296.html

Great GPUz step by step. Do as it says but run Diablo as your normally would or any other game you experience crashing in.

Once you're crashed you can load the log to see if anything in specific happens at the point of crash. E.g volts drop, fps spikes, temps jump even if the fan rpm changes.

From this we may be able to create a fix:)

Sorry to hear RMA Is so difficult:( it's not easy where I live but your situation sounds a lot worse.

I have a msi 7850

Ok tks for the info mate. If so means you didn't experience any of those black screen and buzzing sound then ? Maybe its only 7870 zz

NOthing here across 2 7850's, 12.10 and 12.11 drivers. And a 7970.

Huh i don't get you.

Are you saying you have no problems with 2 X 7850 on 12.10 neither with 12.11 Driver.

Also you not experiencing this even with a HD 7970 ?

What's your brand if so, Sapphire too ?

I had bad problems like the black screen and buzzing on my old sapphire 7850 but ended up returning it and swapped for a msi version.

I had bad problems like the black screen and buzzing on my old sapphire 7850 but ended up returning it and swapped for a msi version.

Hmm how long is your MSI card now then ? Could be Sapphire problem then zzz but even if i do a RMA etc i doubt they let me change to another brand , most properly just give me another Sapphire one.

What i worry is , they will just directly take one off the shelf ! Which will make no difference if you get what i mean zzz this is how here things work , bad !

If they take another off the shelf you might find the problem has been fixed:)

My msi card has been running solid for 6 months now:)

Huh i don't get you.

Are you saying you have no problems with 2 X 7850 on 12.10 neither with 12.11 Driver.

Also you not experiencing this even with a HD 7970 ?

What's your brand if so, Sapphire too ?
I have no problems with two HIS brand 7850's, nor two HIS brand 7970's with both 12.10 and 12.11 drivers.

I have a HIS 7870 and have not had the problem so far, knock on wood. I have played Metro2033 for about 2 hours a day and nothing. I am not overclocked either.

Back