• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD cards seem to pull far ahead of NVidia in (the only) DX12 benchmark so far

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's a pre-alpha title as well, I will take results with a grain of salt until final product.

The Asynchronous Compute Engines in GCN based AMD GPUs like the R9 290x should work well with DX12’s Asynchronous Shaders feature. It had previously been estimated that could improve performance by up to around 50%. So this isn't really a surprise. But by the time DX12 becomes relevant, both AMD and Nvidia will have new cards out anyway.

I don't think it can be dismissed as a glitch, because it seems that neither AMD nor NVidia are disputing the testing. Still, it looks like AMD have something to put on their marketing slides.

Found this article on PC World. I'm starting to wonder if it's something that has more to do with DX12 than either AMD or Nvidia. Only time will tell of course.

The Asynchronous Compute Engines in GCN based AMD GPUs like the R9 290x should work well with DX12’s Asynchronous Shaders feature. It had previously been estimated that could improve performance by up to around 50%. So this isn't really a surprise. But by the time DX12 becomes relevant, both AMD and Nvidia will have new cards out anyway.

The question is just if it would be worth buying Nvidias current flagship 980ti now or go cheaper and get AMD if it will perform better. How long till DX12 would become relevant? Spending 600+ on a 980ti and if that Card would be outperfomed in less 6 months due to new releases from Nvidia and AMD.

Or will Nvidia have a chance to update VBIOS or drivers to provide better performance on DX12 specifically on the 980ti's. As i see it now, it's 50/50 either you become screwed or you don't. Or i just don't understand it fully, in that case please enlighten me.

The question is just if it would be worth buying Nvidias current flagship 980ti now or go cheaper and get AMD if it will perform better. How long till DX12 would become relevant? Spending 600+ on a 980ti and if that Card would be outperfomed in less 6 months due to new releases from Nvidia and AMD.

Or will Nvidia have a chance to update VBIOS or drivers to provide better performance on DX12 specifically on the 980ti's. As i see it now, it's 50/50 either you become screwed or you don't. Or i just don't understand it fully, in that case please enlighten me.

Just go buy it.
There's always something bigger and better around the corner no matter how long you wait.

This generation of cards will be irrelevant by the time dx12 is in full swing maybe this indicates they have a little head start but that gap will be closed by the time dx12 comes out.

Just go buy it.
There's always something bigger and better around the corner no matter how long you wait.

Pretty much this. If you want to wait for something bigger and better, by the time you get to that new card the company will shortly release their newest card. Just get the card that offers you the most for your budget.

This is a pre-alpha title, and NV has already stated their hardware has been working fine on other DX12 titles with far better results, my plan is to hold my opinion until we see more benchmarks available for them to hold true to that statement or see if AMD is ahead of the curve.

Back