• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD CPU price cuts.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frakk

http://www.cpu-world.com//news_2012/2012042701_AMD_cuts_prices_on_A-Series_APUs_and_FX_CPUs.html

A4-3300 2 2.5 GHz N/A 1 MB 65 Watt $66 $55 16.7%
A4-3400 2 2.7 GHz N/A 1 MB 65 Watt $71 $59 16.9%
A6-3500 3 2.1 GHz 2.4 GHz 3 MB 65 Watt $85 $75 11.8%
A6-3600 4 2.1 GHz 2.4 GHz 4 MB 65 Watt $109 $95 12.8%
A6-3650 4 2.6 GHz N/A 4 MB 100 Watt $115 $95 17.4%
A6-3670K 4 2.7 GHz N/A 4 MB 100 Watt $115 $100 13%
A8-3800 4 2.4 GHz 2.7 GHz 4 MB 65 Watt $129 $105 18.6%
A8-3820 4 2.5 GHz 2.8 GHz 4 MB 65 Watt $129 $115 10.9%
A8-3850 4 2.9 GHz N/A 4 MB 100 Watt $135 $105 22.2%
A8-3870K 4 3 GHz N/A 4 MB 100 Watt $135 $115 14.8%

FX-6100 6 3.3 GHz 3.9 GHz 8 MB 95 Watt $145 $135 6.9%
FX-6200 6 3.8 GHz 4.1 GHz 8 MB 125 Watt $165 $155 6.1%
FX-8120 8 3.1 GHz 4 GHz 8 MB 125 Watt $185 $165 10.8%
FX-8150 8 3.6 GHz 4.2 GHz 8 MB 125 Watt $245 $205 16.3%

Ah, so its official now.... The FX-8120 hasn't dropped in Australia yet, although at $165 thats actually insanely good value..... A shame I already own one :(

It's actually a big enough price cut that they're no noticeably cheaper than a Core i5 2500K. They're getting competitive again. ;)

Last edited:
Ah, so its official now.... The FX-8120 hasn't dropped in Australia yet, although at $165 thats actually insanely good value..... A shame I already own one :(

It's actually a big enough price cut that they're no noticeably cheaper than a Core i5 2500K. They're getting competitive again. ;)

Well yes but there comes a point where its so much cheaper it gets ignored by those who want something fast enougth to max BF3 and the like but don't really know what there looking at.

What we need is PD more comparable in performance and a little cheaper, like where the FX-8120 is now but 20% faster than the FX-8150

Yeah. I expect they'll discontinue the current fx chips when pd is released

Yeah. I expect they'll discontinue the current fx chips when pd is released

Good Riddance.... That Chip has done some serious damage to AMD's reputation. I think everyone will be glad to see the back of it, including AMD.

Not really. I PD could not be a success without the foundation laid with BD. People expected too much. The heat output of the new Intel chips will limit Intel, helping AMD to become competitive again

I for one will consider a MOBO + CPU upgrade when PD comes out, of course it wont necessarily need to be an AMD upgrade.

Not really. I PD could not be a success without the foundation laid with BD. People expected too much. The heat output of the new Intel chips will limit Intel, helping AMD to become competitive again

Granted, BD is a bold step in a new direction, i hope it is the foundation for something wonderful.

Honestly i'm getting very itchy indeed to so see how PD performs.

i picked up an A8-3870K for $115 in canada yesterday :)
love it sofar, seems great!

i picked up an A8-3870K for $115 in canada yesterday :)
love it sofar, seems great!

That is a very good thing, APU's are where AMD have the market cornerd.

Low cost media center,- i3 or A8? A8 no question, and Trinity will up that game by even a hell of a lot more.

I like seeing the prices of the APUs drop the most... but I'll be sticking with my FX-4100 for a while, and I'm happy with it. :)

That is a very good thing, APU's are where AMD have the market cornerd.

Low cost media center,- i3 or A8? A8 no question, and Trinity will up that game by even a hell of a lot more.

Yup, but not so much with traditional graphics but rather GPU compute. Intel do not have a CPU/GPU mashup which supports computation on the GPU part of it. AMD recently had a big win win getting Adobe to rewrite photoshop to support their APU's with a claimed 10x performance boost :thup:

Yup, but not so much with traditional graphics but rather GPU compute. Intel do not have a CPU/GPU mashup which supports computation on the GPU part of it. AMD recently had a big win win getting Adobe to rewrite photoshop to support their APU's with a claimed 10x performance boost :thup:

Yeah, but the traditional Graphics are still important, the A8's on DIE GPU is 30% faster than the HD 4000 GFX in the top end Ivy, Trinity's on DIE GPU will be 50% faster than whats on the A8, hell it will play BF3 on medium settings at playable FPS (that's without a crossfire discrete GPU)

I know, however those looking for the best gaming performance will always use a discrete graphics card. I think APU's mostly benefit GPU compute and casual gamers

I know, however those looking for the best gaming performance will always use a discrete graphics card. I think APU's mostly benefit GPU compute and casual gamers

i ended up picking up the A8-3870K when i was making a rig for my brother to play GW2 on.
the laptop he had been using could play it, but was getting like 5 fps on minimum gfx settings, worse when in fights.
he had a very limited budget to worth with, and we ended up building his whole rig for right around $400, already had a hdd, and a monitor, so all I needed to get for him was a case, mobo, psu, ram, vid card, cpu, and cpu cooler. ended up saving around $100 thanks to the APU. all nice parts too, 500w corsair psu, corsair A70 cpu cooler(was on sale for $35, regular $65!), 8 gb of gskill ripjaws, gigabyte A75-UD45 mobo, and a nice zalman atx case he liked the look of, and looks/feels well built
i havent gotten the chance to overclock it yet, but it runs so nice and cool, and is quite responsive, plays guildwars 2 beautifully.
during the week i should get a chance to get a bit of an OC on it, and im sure it will really start to shine.
and the thing runs so cool, i think it actually won me over for my next build, dont think i'll go with an APU for my own build, but something that isnt dumping so much heat into my room would be awfully nice in the summer

Nice, sounds like it was perfect for his requirements then. In all honesty I probably don't need anything better than that on the x86 side of things. It's more about what I want than what I need.... ;)

Sounds like a nice build, do you have a link to the Zalman case? I'm curious to check it out. I've not really looked at one of their cases in over 5 years now... They used to compete in the high end that Lian Li and Silverstone currently occupy.

Either way, I'll be upgrading a month or so after PD's release. :thup:

Here is the link to the case we picked up for him.
has a fan controller, a temp sensor, the inside is all blacked out.
its a little smaller than im used to working with, but almost everything is smaller than my HAF 932, lol
Im really impressed with the whole build sofar, i thought that we were for sure going to have to end up buying and sticking a gfx card in there and do the crossfire route, but it seems that, at least for now, the APU is more than handling his needs.

That's a nice Case, my 912+ has the inside all blacked out like that, it looks very similar inside.

Back