• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX prices and availability

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
IDK I'm sure there are better ways to compare, but...... 179.99(fx8350)+119.99(h110i gt)=299.98 VS 339.99(4790k)
And obviosuly Its OC'd(4.8gHz) and I replaced the stock cooler(same results could probably be had with a cheaper high end air cooler as well). A little bit more work and a savings of ~$40 = roughly the same performance. Or at least as far as just the cpu is concerned. IDK what intel board would compare soOooo.
cpuZ2.PNG

Last edited:
IDK I'm sure there are better ways to compare, but...... 179.99(fx8350)+119.99(h110i gt)=299.98 VS 339.99(4790k)
And obviosuly Its OC'd(4.8gHz) and I replaced the stock cooler(same results could probably be had with a cheaper high end air cooler as well). A little bit more work and a savings of ~$40 = roughly the same performance. Or at least as far as just the cpu is concerned. IDK what intel board would compare soOooo.
View attachment 173013

AMD mobo necessary to get to 4.8Ghz (Sabertooth or other from this thread): $180
Intel mobo cable to running a 4790K at stock (from your bench comparison above): any socket 1150 will do this, but for simplicity, I'll just pick the cheapest Z97 - $100

And you can use the stock HSF from a 4790K, so no cost there.

Even if you bought a cooler cheaper than the H110i for your 8350, I would say you're spending at least $60 to keep it from thermal throttling, so the real math is:

AMD: $180 (CPU) + $180(mobo) + $60(cooler) = $420
Intel: $340(CPU,cooler) + $100(mobo) = $440

That's a $20 difference, which vanishes when you factor in the PSU requirement difference...

And with that in mind, let's visit your benchmark.

#1, how comprehensive is the built-in CPU-z bench? I've never seen it thrown around as a popular metric...

Since you did, however, that data reads to me in favor of the 4790K. Single thread performance is what will matter for users 95% of the time. Very few applications (and no games) benefit from 8 cores/8 threads (which I'm assuming is the bottom chart). In the chart that matters (top one), therefore, the Intel shows 25% performance difference (to the good).

Add a $25 212 EVO to the 4790K, and you can tack on another 10% to its performance (that cooler probably wouldn't be able to dissipate the heat from the 8350...).

Bottom line, FX series CPUs haven't been competitive since the 2nd gen Intel i5 and i7 were released. It's truly a shame that they aren't too. That's the reason Intel increased the prices on Skylake :(

Last edited:
It's also a bit disingenuous to say the Intel option costs "a grand" without mentioning that the AMD build would cost the same...

The actual price difference between an i7 build and an 8350 build would be in the neighborhood of $150. And the performance improvement of a 4790K would more than justify that amount. (I used a 4790K in this example as it would have the most in common with the 8350 - DDR3).

Your right, I should have indicated what part of the world I'm in, (as if my profile doesn't show it) In Australia, to convert to a Haswell-E or Skylake platform obviously involves mobo/cpu + DDR4 upgrade and being enthuisiast/gamer, one would not want to go with bottom of the line stuff either... can use my current cooling solution as its AIO for all platforms, so too easy to spend a grand or so on this upgrade in my part of the world

Not going to waste time and take risks with overseas purchases either... so local suppliers only.

Quick example to back up what I claim - bottom of the range X99 boards can start at over AUD$318 and up but thats for low end Asrock stuff, cheapest 2011-v3 cpus can be found using this search engine produces (as of today's date) 17-5820K starting from AUD$569.00! then we have to source at least 16GB of DDR4 ram and not the lowest speed/performance sticks either... then on top of all that, factor in postage costs which because I live on an Island state, its going to be around AUD$50 or thereabouts...

On the other hand without getting too pedantic.. around AUD$520 for i7-6700K, then at least as a minimum, a good midrange board which using the previous mentioned search engine (which is pretty good at finding electronic/computer stuff in Austalia) around AUD$250 or so and obviously with Z170 chipset + 16GB DDR4 ram (as a minimum) ... doesn't take long to reach around AUD$1000.00 or so, does it now?

Its' been known for quite some time now that Australian consumers get shafted with costs of imported electronics & computer stuff, lots of economic arguments as to why??

My whole point is based on the reality of my geographical part of the world.. :)

Last edited:
Your right, I should have indicated what part of the world I'm in, (as if my profile doesn't show it) In Australia, to convert to a Haswell-E or Skylake platform obviously involves mobo/cpu + DDR4 upgrade and being enthuisiast/gamer, one would not want to go with bottom of the line stuff either... can use my current cooling solution as its AIO for all platforms, so too easy to spend a grand or so on this upgrade in my part of the world

Yes, that piece of information would have been very helpful. Location does not show on the mobile app without clicking into a user's profile.

Back