• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD or INTEL for my New RIG?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fultz

Well, i've debated it as well as I could and I just can't decide so im asking you, the people of overclockers forums :D, to help me out!

I heard AMD is better for gaming and INTEL is better for most of everything else but I just can't decide if it's worth it or not. If I go with AMD The best Processor I can get is the AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 64-BIT 2.2GHz, 512kb Cache 90nm processor. I heard this processor is Killer for overclocking and awesome for anything from gaming to anything else and extremely fast, sometimes, even out-performing the Pentium 4 3.0GHz!

If I go with Intel I can probably get Intel Pentium 4 3.4GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache w/HT or maybe even 3.6 or 3.8! Another advantage to me going with Intel is I can get the computer for cheaper all together and get dual hard drives of 320gb or 400gb, maybe even 500gb total in raid and 2GB ram instead of 1GB.

So How about it? Im planning to overclock either processor I get anyway, which one do you think I should go for? Advantages? Disadvantages? Will I notice a huge performance hit if I go with Intel?

I know it probably depends on the rest of your contents so here's the basics of what the system will have if it's intel:

Intel Pentium 4 3.4GHz Processor, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache w/HT
2GB PC-3200 DDR Ram @ 400MHz
2x 200GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache HDD's in RAID
Motherboard Undecided
Nvidia GeForce 6800GT 256mb w/TV/DVI
Soundblaster Audigy ZS 2
NEC 1.44MB Black Internal Floppy Drive
Encore 56K V.92 Internal PCI Fax Modem
Some kind of sufficient cooling & power supply and a nice case.
16x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer

If I go with AMD then:

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Winchester Socket 939 64-BIT
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
MSI NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT Video Card
Hitachi 250GB 7200RPM Sata Hard Drive
Thermaltake Venus 12 CPU Cooler
1GB PC-3200 DDR Ram @ 400MHz
NEC 16x Double Layer DVD+/-RW Drive Black
NEC 1.44MB Black Internal Floppy Drive
Encore 56K V.92 Internal PCI Fax Modem
Rosewill 450 Watt Dual Fan Power Supply

So what do you guys think? AMD or INTEL :cry:

If you are a gamer...then definetly go with the AMD setup...you will see a nice performance gain in gaming with a A64 setup...especially when OCed...

As for the CPU...save your money and try to get a CBBFD 3200...most 3500's will end up using the 10x multiplier anyways when OCing high HT...

As for intel being better at everything except gaming...thats not 100% correct...the only thing that the higher Intels have over my system is...multimedia and multi-tasking (thats mainly because I only run 512 L2 and no SSE3)...

Now when it comes to memory...you will want to go with some good low latency memory...A64's thrive on low latency...so some good TCCD or some of the new UTT running with a divider would do wonders for it...

Also...do not use that thermaltake...get a XP-120 for the cooling...dont spend 200.00 on a CPU and then put a half azzed heatsink on it ;)...with either CPU you go with...the XP120 and 90's are universal...

Now when it comes to MB's...instead of the MSI...you might think about the DFI...the key thing about the DFI is the 4v option for the vdimm...no vdimm mod and pleanty of voltage if you go with the cheaper UTT's...

I have a budget though, I can't buy a $100 cooling fan! Also, how is a thermaltake half-assed cooling? People at new egg reviewed it as cooling their athlon 64's at 30-35 idle and 40-44 full load? Is that bad or something?

You have to take into account what there system cooling is...and I would have a hard time believeing those temps without some major system cooling like I have...

And compaired to a thermalright...which is cheaper then the thermaltakes...they are half azzed...and you can find the XP-90's on sale for 30.00 or so anymore...and the 92mm is far from 100.00...less then 13.00 at SVC.com ;)...

I built my A64 on a 650.00 budget...and this was going for the gusto on the ram...the ram was 215.00 alone...

the only thing I used from my old system was...the case...HDD's and DVD/CD-Roms and PSU and 9800 Pro...everything else was switched including IDE/SATA cables...

If you go with the AMD, I would consider a NForce 4, I have heard good things about those and they have pci-e x2 so you can upgrader just my adding another 6800gt when you have the money, desire, or need to.

but, with either sysem, you will have one great comp.

glock19owner said:
You have to take into account what there system cooling is...and I would have a hard time believeing those temps without some major system cooling like I have...

And compaired to a thermalright...which is cheaper then the thermaltakes...they are half azzed...and you can find the XP-90's on sale for 30.00 or so anymore...and the 92mm is far from 100.00...less then 13.00 at SVC.com ;)...

I built my A64 on a 650.00 budget...and this was going for the gusto on the ram...the ram was 215.00 alone...

the only thing I used from my old system was...the case...HDD's and DVD/CD-Roms and PSU and 9800 Pro...everything else was switched including IDE/SATA cables...

Where can I get a thermalright XP-90 for $30?! They are $65 bucks at newegg...

BTW the hdds, case, dvd/cd rom, psu and video card account for like 60% of the price. :(

Okay, pretend you are me, what would you build if your budget was ROCK SOLID at $1600. The system must contain either dual 6600GTs or a 6800GT PCIe if it is an athlon64.

EDIT: nevermind about the xp-90's I didn't see the link, thanks for the link!

thats nuts...I paided 35.00 for mine shipped last month at excaliberpc.com...and xoxide.com just had a sale on them for 29.99...ran out the 15th...

SVC.com...36.00
xoxide.com...39.00
sidewindercomputers.com...39.95
crazypc.com...39.99

These are just a few places...and like I stated above...you can find them onsale for 30.00 or less at times...

Newegg is not the only place on the net anymore ;)...

you have your choice of VC's...I would go with a 3200 and some good TCCD's and the DFI NF4 with either a XP-90 or 120 for cooling...that would be a dam soild A64 system and odds are probably will fit under your budget...

I am running a CBBFD 3200 and the average is between 2.7 and 2.8 on air with them...and with the right TCCD's can run at 1:1 instead of with the divider...

see sig...

Last edited:
glock19owner said:
thats nuts...I paided 35.00 for mine shipped last month at excaliberpc.com...and xoxide.com just had a sale on them for 29.99...ran out the 15th...

SVC.com...36.00
xoxide.com...39.00
sidewindercomputers.com...39.95
crazypc.com...39.99

These are just a few places...and like I stated above...you can find them onsale for 30.00 or less at times...

Newegg is not the only place on the net anymore ;)...

you have your choice of VC's...I would go with a 3200 and some good TCCD's and the DFI NF4 with either a XP-90 or 120 for cooling...that would be a dam soild A64 system and odds are probably will fit under your budget...

I am running a CBBFD 3200 and the average is between 2.7 and 2.8 on air with them...and with the right TCCD's can run at 1:1 instead of with the divider...

see sig...

Are you forgetting something? Ram, Powersupply, Case, Hard Drives? Afterwards I'll add it all up and see what it comes to :D

PSU...look at the OCZ 420 which is around 100.00...(seperate adjustable voltage pots in the back of the PSU with warning lights to tell you if you rails are out of specs...PCI-E ready)

Case...well that just all depends on your taste ;)...

HD's...This depends if you are wanting to go raid/sata/ide...good sata's....120G+ are around 130.00 or so

Ram...Just depends on what you want...high HT with good timings or high HT with a divider and running tight timings...

Good set up TCCD's...240.00 - 290.--
UTT's....around 150.00
(1G Kits for both prices)

if ur on a budget u might want to consider the p4c800 e deluxe + a celeron d 2.93
total 250-300 u should be able to get it to 3.6-4.4ghz with a 1150mhz fsb cause they realesed a bios update for that mobo that unlocks the multiplier

well the 600 series is already out.

But you are going to get a good system if you go with AMD or Intel. To be honest I've played on my friends AMD 3800+ system and I also play on my system in my sig, and I don't notice any differences during ACTUAL gameplay. Benchmarking he beats me out all the time, but the way I look at it is, benchmarking don't mean crap when I'm playing Call of Duty or Half-Life 2. Yes AMD is really geared towards gaming and kills on all the benchmarking stuff, but when you actually sit down and play I can't even tell the difference between the 2, and I'd be surprised if anybody could ACTUALLY truthfully tell the difference between top of the line AMD and top of the line Intel. And lets face it, it's becoming more of a GPU world than anything in the gaming world. just my thoughts tho. go with either system and I'm sure you'll be happy

Like to know where u got the price off newegg for XP-90 for $65??? 3 Days ago it was $40

As for harddrives you can get decent harddrives for under $150 (SATA and 250gigs).

If you want to go intel, wait til everything is sorted out on the 6xx series chips. They just came out and bioses have to get updated to OC them effectively as some others around here have them. Check out Sen's thread in the Intel.

Case, well something with good airflow or can be modded to get good airflow. I personally got a Antec Superlanboy for my setup below. Even though the HDD cage is blocking the fans (and I got 3 HDD's in there) its quiet, and my CPU runs cool under 7V fans.

PSU and Ram, look at others :) I've been out of the loop soo long on those its not funny hehe. I gotta start looking at them in the near future for my next system.

Go with a 3200+ winchester and the DFI NF4 board. If you go either intel or amd, both systems should be exactly the same except for processor, cooler, motherboard, and maybe even ram. They have good price parity with each other but I think AMD takes the performance crown. If you are looking at the high end intel 600 at 3.6 or 3.8 Ghz series you might as well look at the athlon 4000+ which overclocks like a beast and is basically an fx-55 except that you can't change the multi upwards. With a multiplier of 12 and over 300 HTT bus speed, that still leaves you plenty of headroom.

fultz said:
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 64-BIT 2.2GHz, 512kb Cache 90nm processor. I heard this processor is Killer for overclocking and awesome for anything from gaming to anything else and extremely fast, sometimes, even out-performing the Pentium 4 3.0GHz!
actualy i have both thoes procs and the 3.0 doesnt even come close in performance in anything i can notice except multi threading and nither does my 3.4 so im gonna have to go with the a64 w/90nm core but be warned i baught mine and thought it would oc to 2.6 but the best ive ben able to get is 2.36 however i am the only case of that that ive heard of

Back