• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Pelt DIY "kit"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joe Camel

Senior Camel Kicker
well, ive decided to make the jump to Extreme:cool:
(x-mass mad cash)

since i have the H2O setup already, SEE SIG, its MUCH cheaper for me to do a pelt vs. phase. now my WW is NOT for pelts, so i will need a new WB. (Cather, any thoughts on a "for pelts" WB?)

this:
http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/ex-blc-18.html

but for AMD (& 1/2" barbs) is what i wanted to get but they dont make it.
and this:

http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/cpu-swi-06.html

just made me laugh:p

so here is my DIY "kit" package I made:

Slit Edge P4/AMD Waterblock
(Qty: 1 x $39.99)

Peltiers 220 Watt
(Qty: 1 x $32.99)

Copper Cold Plate 2.0" (50mm)
(Qty: 1 x $5.99)

Dow Corning Conformal Coating
(Qty: 1 x $9.99)

Luberex
(Qty: 2 x $5.00)

Neoprene Closed Cell Foam 1/8" x6"x6"
(Qty: 1 x $1.99)

Neoprene Closed Cell Foam 1/4" x6"x6"

Neoprene Closed Cell Foam 3/16" x6"x6"

---------------------------

Subtotal: $104.93

Tax: $0.00

S&H: $8.92

Final Total: $113.85

other than paying thru the a$$ for the foam & lube
(at least i got some lube :eek: ) are there any comments / sugestions?

im getting a "used" one of these to power it:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.a...y_name=CTLG_009_001_005_000&product_id=22-510

(please tell me i made a "good" 3:30am online spending spree:rolleyes: )

Last edited:
head spins around and explodes :p

i dont see why you couldnt have adapted the WW to a pelt by using a cold-plate, if that were even necessary. otherwise, not too bad. the PSU seems good, tell us how it works out, maybe more people will get them.

anyway, good luck on getting your system running, and tell us how it turns out. have you read the article in the archives on overclockers.com about the guy who made the huge evaporative cooler for his TEC setup? definetly worth it if you want my opinion. unless you dont like the idea of the huge pipe next to your computer.

IMHO:
the WW super cools a VERY spacific (and small) area of the block by design, right on top of the die. since the pelt is 50mmx50mm (cold plate too) i assumed a WB with a "bigger" cooling area (more water to copper contact) would cool a pelt better. that assumption is why i got the slit edge over DD's maze4. o ya its cheeper too ;)

you KNOW ill tell ya'll ALL about the mods and how great they work. thats 1/2 the fun :p

i plan on rebuilding my external box and getting 5/8" inlet to my pump.

1 question....is there a "cool down" time needed between turning on the pelt and powering up the comp? (like promy's have) i have 2 temp probes but they come on with the PC not with my pump/rad fans, should i rewire so i have cold plate temps b4 i power up the comp?

Last edited:
i believe that the cool down time is minimal with a pelt, since it does not have mechancical components, so it does not have to start up. if you feel its worth the effort to rewire, why not? but i dont feel that it is entirely necessary.

UPDATE:

got my stuff!!!:)

this slit-edge does not look to easy to get Foam around (NF7-s mobo) so what im trying to do is: put a layer of Luberex down and then put silicone over that. the hope is to be able to remove dried silicone easier if nessary. Has anyone tried this?

2nd question, how big an area around the socket do i have to worry about? ive put down a layer of Luberex about 1/4" around the plastic socket and about 1/8" of silicone (a thick layer). More?

3rd question, will the Luberex "run" down the board when it gets hot and is mounted in a tower case?

EDIT: looking at it as it dries, its more like 1/2" of lube and 1/4" of silicone.

Guess ill answer my own questions:
1) i dont know if anyone has tried this nor have i tried to remove the silicone so i dont know if it works or not. (but i could slip a temp probe between the silicone and the cold plate EASY so i think it does)
2) 1/4" to 1/2" around the socket should be fine
3) Luberex does not "run" down the board

thanks for the help :p

Last edited:
well, IMHO, im about to call this a bust....

im getting 30C idle CPU temp with 10.6C H2o (-11C outside air ducted to rad) 1800+ @ 1.95V (228x11.5)

i was getting 28C idle 1800 sig rig (with 10C H2o)
it wont boot with same settings (12.5X) after L-12 pin mod so i cant compare apples to apples

any suggestions on what went wrong?

Sorry this is answering the first question in the post but Danger Den has Maze 4-1 blocks specifically designed for 50x50 pelts, and you can buy pre-cut neoprene kits. 1/2 inch fittings are standard. The Maze 4-1 is at the bottom of the page.
Maze 4-1

Back