• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ampres for PC devices help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pdxer1

Registered
Looking into getting a new PSU. Was looking at the Corsair 650TX because of its 52Amps @ 12V. My PC in sig may get a Quad core at some point, more HDD and Memory. Is this PSU possibly going to fry anything or do devices have the proper resistors to reduce Ampres?

BIG newb, thanx- :shrug:

The amp rating on the PSU is a maximum. The PC is only going to draw what it needs.

edit: Ehh, that PSU in your sig will run that system just fine. Why bother changing it out?

I'd keep your current one, it's more powerful and if you plug in your cables right, you essentially have a 44 or 56amp 12v rail anyways, for dedicated graphics card goodness. might want to check out a detailed review and figure out what plugs are what rail, if you're really worried about not having enough 12v juice on a particular rail\for a particular component.

I'd keep your current one, it's more powerful and if you plug in your cables right, you essentially have a 44 or 56amp 12v rail anyways, for dedicated graphics card goodness. might want to check out a detailed review and figure out what plugs are what rail, if you're really worried about not having enough 12v juice on a particular rail\for a particular component.
??????????

52>50

How can it vary its ouput amperage?

there's 672 watts total available across the 12v rails, thus 56 amps total. If you figure 12 amps for the rest of the system, he has 44 available just for the graphics card, that was my point.

If you're asking me how it can vary, it can't, it just a way of looking at what you have and what you're taking and then what you have left since we weren't being very specific.

Either way, keep your earthwatts, get a better graphics card ;)

The Earthwatts is going into anther box I'm building out of spare parts. While it's a good PSU, it's loud, gets very hot while gaming for more than an hour and not that it really matters, but it's already a year and a half old.

This spare parts build is going to be a 939, 3500+, Winchester AMD. It was a very good proc when I bought it shortly after it hit the market. Will be working with my eVGA 8800GT.

have you tried blowing it out at a gas station? The heat isn't that big of a deal, psus generally exhaust hot air a because they're less efficient, doubtful in your case, b because the system temp is hot (possible), or C because they're dusty. the 939 and 8800gt won't take too much power, the corsair would be better for them. that's my last 2 cents.

Back