• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

An idea for a great MMO RPG

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CPUonNO2

So, for the past few month's I've been trying to find a good RPG and all my searches come up short. It seems that most RPG's these days just dont have the same "feel" as a good RPG should. Some are even getting rather "FPS'esque" - relying heavily on twitch gaming. Then it occurred to me. What if someone were to make a truly "RP" RPG? I don't mean everyone has to walk around saying "thou" and "yee". What I mean is: picture an MMO RPG where the thief is actually a thief, the warrior a warrior, etc... Meaning the Thief's job is to steal, assasinate, spy, etc... You could hire players as mercenaries for your own personal gain, or they can freelance via quests and other such things. Imagine an online world with all the classic aspects of a good RPG. With class guilds,underhanded dealings, things lurking in the shadows, freelance hero's, etc... Of course I can't think out every last detail in the time I've been sitting here, but if a game like this were to be intelligently thought out, I think it would be a real winner. Comments?

I think that's the goal of most MMORPGs, but most don't execute this idea very well.

I have yet to see a MMO RPG actually play like this. Maybe I didn't convey my idea well enough, or maybe you're unfamiliar with current MMO RPG's, but I have been playing them for years and have yet to see anything come close to this. Most have the same goal, killing mobs for xp or loot, and each class has a different way of doing it. Which is not even remotely close to what I was trying to describe.

Edit - I failed to mention I was specifically referring to Fantasy MMO RPG - like Everquest.

OH so what your saying is make a MMORPG thats not "hero-based." So the goal isnt to fight monsters and defeat evil/good. Its just to live life and go around doing your classes job.

That would be different but it has two major flaws.

1. If one class is more fun than others the game will have thousands of those and almost none of anything else making it very unbalanced. For example if being a theif was fun everyone would be one. But then there wouldn't be many people to steal from except for NPCs and even they would be picked over from all the theifs. Plus, then it would be like MMORPGs now except instead of hacking and slashing monsters it would be stealing.

2. Some classes would have nothing to do. This leads to number 1 but for example what would a mages job be? To cast spells? But on what, if hes not killing monsters? If you want to get away form the monster fighting thing then your left with crafts and PvP. SO basically itd be a component of most MMORPGs now-a-days but fleshed out to be a whole game.

The concept is good but there is onyl a very small majority of people who would RP correctly and the rest of them would all be theives or blacksmiths and it would throw the game way out of whack.

I'm not saying eliminate the monster bashing entirely either. I'm saying that's not everyones main goal all the time. Say you have a quest and you need a piece that you can't get. Maybe hire a thief to steal it for you? Or maybe you're a thief who already stole a map, but need a team of fighters to get you safely there. I'm just tired of the same old thing. Pick a class melee, spellcaster, priest - then go fight some monsters for x amount of exp and x amount of money and x amount of uber gear and grind your life away. How about a thief who steals some stuff and sells it to a fence and buys some shiny new lockpicking tools? Or a warrior who earns some money working some of the freelance hero quests he finds on the fighters guild hall cork board? Or perhaps the warrior ranger and thief team up to fight some monsters and claim some treasure? I'm saying something epically engrossing. Something that really makes you feel the class you're playing. Not the "fighter" class divied up 6 different ways. I donno, I've never been good with conveying my ideas, or maybe I'm just missing the mark, but what I dream of in a solid RPG of any variety is something that really strikes a chord RP wise. Playing a character that's writing himself into your favorite novel - not a carbon copy of another class with a few individualized tweaks. Maybe what I'm saying is just impossible to implement in a MMO scale, I really don't know. Maybe 4 years of grinding in EQ has just left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I was just thinking of what I would really enjoy in an RPG and thought someone might share a similar view.

that would be godlike if ES4 has a good multiplayer aspect (let alone if it will even have one) i think my life would be just about over... well, at least the next few years of it until ES5 came out :p :D

CPUonNO2 said:
I'm not saying eliminate the monster bashing entirely either. I'm saying that's not everyones main goal all the time. Say you have a quest and you need a piece that you can't get. Maybe hire a thief to steal it for you? Or maybe you're a thief who already stole a map, but need a team of fighters to get you safely there. I'm just tired of the same old thing. Pick a class melee, spellcaster, priest - then go fight some monsters for x amount of exp and x amount of money and x amount of uber gear and grind your life away. How about a thief who steals some stuff and sells it to a fence and buys some shiny new lockpicking tools? Or a warrior who earns some money working some of the freelance hero quests he finds on the fighters guild hall cork board? Or perhaps the warrior ranger and thief team up to fight some monsters and claim some treasure? I'm saying something epically engrossing. Something that really makes you feel the class you're playing. Not the "fighter" class divied up 6 different ways. I donno, I've never been good with conveying my ideas, or maybe I'm just missing the mark, but what I dream of in a solid RPG of any variety is something that really strikes a chord RP wise. Playing a character that's writing himself into your favorite novel - not a carbon copy of another class with a few individualized tweaks. Maybe what I'm saying is just impossible to implement in a MMO scale, I really don't know. Maybe 4 years of grinding in EQ has just left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I was just thinking of what I would really enjoy in an RPG and thought someone might share a similar view.

You can always try DAoC, atleast the PvE can be done quickly and you can do RvR. You can run around in stealth and try to sneak in keeps and stuff like that. Its nothing like what you are talking about, but its a lot closer then EQ is with its RvR.

I didn't realise it until my brother told me, but you can skip every other level till you reach around 47 and if you have a lvl 50 you start out at level 20 with new characters. Nice way to eliminate a ton of grinding to get to RvR.

As far as your idea of an intelligently thought out MMORPG is concerned, I'm sure Devs are reasonably intellegent and thought their games out. The problem probably is due to time, technology and finacial constraints.

Stick with single player games, the depth and story lines are so much better. Although, AC had a great story arch back when BZ (badass bad guy) was released, but it was still nothing like the story of a SP game because you are much more involved in the story of those.

OC Noob said:
As far as your idea of an intelligently thought out MMORPG is concerned, I'm sure Devs are reasonably intellegent and thought their games out. The problem probably is due to time, technology and finacial constraints.

Heh, I meant if MY idea was intelligently thought out, instead of a garbled mass of ideas.

Back