• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ancient History : AMD 3400+/754 3GB RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

masteripper

Registered
Hello to everybody....this is a blast from the past.....:D
Well i find hard to find any info so any help is appreciated...
I have an old workstation running an Athlon x64 3400+ socket 754 on a Shuttle AN50R (i can't find any manual...:()...DRR1 (PC3200)
So i had 2GB of ram but had issues due to one dimm being problematic...by pure chance i found a set of 3GB DDR1 from a guy...i put them on the workstation and everything was looking fine EXCEPT...the memory timing...i got only PC1600 (half the speed of the memory)
I removed one dimm everything back to normal --> PC3200 but it would be just great if i could use that spare 1GB...
Any ideas??

Could be the way it supports all three sticks, like anything else it has limits.

I have to assume you're already aware 754 doesn't support dual channel operation of RAM so that's a thing but expected. The chip's IMC is another limiting factor, could be defaulting to a lower speed because it's supposed to with all three DIMM slots filled, can't really say concerning the board itself if that's so but from what you've described that's probrably the case whether it's the chip, board or both causing it.

In other words it's probrably doing what it's supposed to.
Hard to say if there is a fix but I'd leave the third stick out and hold it as a spare in case you need it..... But that's just me.

Could be the way it supports all three sticks, like anything else it has limits.

I have to assume you're already aware 754 doesn't support dual channel operation of RAM so that's a thing but expected. The chip's IMC is another limiting factor, could be defaulting to a lower speed because it's supposed to with all three DIMM slots filled, can't really say concerning the board itself if that's so but from what you've described that's probrably the case whether it's the chip, board or both causing it.

In other words it's probrably doing what it's supposed to.
Hard to say if there is a fix but I'd leave the third stick out and hold it as a spare in case you need it..... But that's just me.

I will test what is the real impact when the memory lowers to pc1600...if its *ok*...the i will go for 3GB...but if not i will limit to 2GB....nevertheless it would be great if i could get it to work 3Gb/PC3200

Board has a history of not liking Infineon or Samsung chipped ram.
I suspect you're using one of these.

Board has a history of not liking Infineon or Samsung chipped ram.
I suspect you're using one of these.

I am afraid the RAM chips are marked as "Corsair"...so there is no info for the real manufacturer....

...is there a record of a similar 754 system operating normally with 3GB RAM ?

Last edited:
I am afraid the RAM chips are marked as "Corsair"...so there is no info for the real manufacturer....

...is there a record of a similar 754 system operating normally with 3GB RAM ?

Pic of ram you're using.
I can tell you the chip manufacturer.

They are Micron chips.

Your problem has to be a board/bios issue. It will never be resolved.
2 gig ram at correct speeds and timings or 3 gig ram slow and loose.
I'd stick with the 2 gig.

Back