• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

another xbox migration question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Got some "paid" content the other day, nessecary to load up a game profile (apparently, anyway) - read the T&C, something about "you can use it on another console, as long as you are signed into live". I want to ditch my live gold account quite honestly, but am unwilling to just shrug my shoulders when I can't use the content I paid for, on a replacement console by practicly selling my grandmothers' kidneys on the black market. I hope I never have to replace the console *touch wood, throws salt over shoulder, etc*. Do they just mean "oh you still need to have your profile on the MU/drive", or is this a classic MS rip-off tactic?

Got some "paid" content the other day, nessecary to load up a game profile (apparently, anyway) - read the T&C, something about "you can use it on another console, as long as you are signed into live". I want to ditch my live gold account quite honestly, but am unwilling to just shrug my shoulders when I can't use the content I paid for, on a replacement console by practicly selling my grandmothers' kidneys on the black market. I hope I never have to replace the console *touch wood, throws salt over shoulder, etc*. Do they just mean "oh you still need to have your profile on the MU/drive", or is this a classic MS rip-off tactic?

classic MS rip-off tactic? Ditch the attitude and I'll give you the answer you seek:

Major Nelson has published a guide to migrate content, it is fairly convoluted and a pain in the ***. There are other guides out there as well. All you need to do is sign into your account to play the stuff if you do not do the migration. You can do this just fine with a silver account, you do not need a gold. I've been doing this for well over a year because I retained my HDD when my 1st 360 went down and I attached it to the new HDMI arcade model I bought to replace it.
http://video.msn.com/req.aspx?mkt=en-us&rc=1

yeah, you don't need gold to sign into live. You can't play online when on silver, but you can log into live.

I had to re-download some Rockband songs that i had originally downloaded on my mom's 360. I got my own, so i wanted those songs on mine. I just re-downloaded them. Once you download something, you can re-download it for free. ( though, i don't know if there is a limit as to how many times you can re-download it though. )

no rip-off going here at all. Just sign into your account, and re-download what ya need. simple as that.

Also, i keep my main account on my MU. I do that for 2 reasons. If the HDD dies, or requires a format, or i need to replace it, I still have my account. Though, you can migrate your account to a new console. But it's not exactly the fastest way to get things done.

And i keep it on my MU, so i can just grab my card, and take it to my friends house and use my account on his console quickly. ( aka: not having to transfer my account via online to his console. Which as i said, is kinda slow. )

classic MS rip-off tactic? Ditch the attitude and I'll give you the answer you seek:

Major Nelson has published a guide to migrate content, it is fairly convoluted and a pain in the ***. There are other guides out there as well. All you need to do is sign into your account to play the stuff if you do not do the migration. You can do this just fine with a silver account, you do not need a gold. I've been doing this for well over a year because I retained my HDD when my 1st 360 went down and I attached it to the new HDMI arcade model I bought to replace it.
http://video.msn.com/req.aspx?mkt=en-us&rc=1

Sorry about the attitude, I thought I'd be fitting in. When you say I just have to sign in with silver, does this have to be signing in online? I want to d/c the xbox from the internet entirely.

Sorry about the attitude, I thought I'd be fitting in. When you say I just have to sign in with silver, does this have to be signing in online? I want to d/c the xbox from the internet entirely.

ok...buy why don't you do that AFTER you migrate the data over?

silver is free. If you don't want to connect online at all anymore, Cancel your Gold subscription ( or stop buying the Gold cards ), and then unplug the Ethernet cable from the 360.

Also, you won't be able to get any more updates from microsoft if you keep the console off the internet entirely. Again, silver is free. So it's not like it's costing anything to use it.

ok, so he's going to hack his console and wants to keep the content and keep from being having it banned.......sigh.

I hope that's not what he's talking about....

It's illegal. ( well, the modding itself isn't illegal. It's what people do with modded xbox's that are illegal. )

That type of behavior is shunned here at OCF.

and talking about that type of activity is against the TOS of this site as well.

If this isn't the case, invictius, you better clear things up before you get this thread closed, and possibly banned from this section of the forums ( or the entire OCF forums. )

It's illegal. ( well, the modding itself isn't illegal. It's what people do with modded xbox's that are illegal. )

and talking about that type of activity is against the TOS of this site as well.

If this isn't the case, invictius, you better clear things up before you get this thread closed, and possibly banned from this section of the forums ( or the entire OCF forums. )

Nonononono, I have done nothing illegal. I got my console 2nd hand through a store that passes serial numbers nightly onto the police in order to check they're not hot. I do not have a modded console. I buy every game that I have. I have no interest in modding. I suck at multiplayer, the only reason I got live in the first place was that it removed cops in test drive unlimited.

EDIT for FudgeNuggets : With my "hopefully I don't have to get a new console" statement, I meant, I hope it lasts a long time *touch wood*. I thought that would be a fairly obvious statement with all my superstition about it not going to the great beyond. I was worried that, if I gotta get a new one, and don't need online live, then I wouldn't have DLC. No interest in hacking xboxes at all, I mean, I can't even burn a dual layer disc, it would cost more to download games than it would for me to buy games legally (which I do) - ones I am interested in only come out every few months.

woah woah woah, the modding consoles is shunned or the things some of those modded consoles do is shunned?

cause i am all for modding consoles for other purposes like imports, home brew, pc converts,old school svideo/rgb mods and stereo mods and the sort.

and no its not illegal to play import games on your "domestic" system

woah woah woah, the modding consoles is shunned or the things some of those modded consoles do is shunned?

cause i am all for modding consoles for other purposes like imports, home brew, pc converts,old school svideo/rgb mods and stereo mods and the sort.

and no its not illegal to play import games on your "domestic" system

I was referring to the illegal things people do with modding consoles. Not the modding itself, or playing imported titles. No one here really has a problem with that. It's the OTHER stuff that is shunned, for obvious reasons.

Well then if that is the case, the video I linked to from Major Nelson will let you keep all of your purchased content without having to log into LIVE. It's a pain, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Back