• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec Announces "High Gamer Current" Power supplies

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hopefully its better than the current lineup.

There's something wrong with the Signature line?

According to the specs listed on Antec's site, it seems worse than Corsair's stuff.

Corsair's HX850 has better specs than Antec's HCG-900 (and is also 80+ silver vs Antec's bronze). HX750 is almost the same as HCG-750 (the Corsair is only .5A less on 12V), but again, Corsair is 80+ silver, and has 2 years longer warranty.

Last edited:
Signature and there CP line are good. The CP line is that oversized power supply for only a handful of cases by antec.

Looks like antec is coming out with a new power supply line marketed towards gamers. Hopefully its better than the current lineup.

Antec PSU's are Seasonic and Delta OEM. What makes the current lineup so bad, if they are all built by 2 of the best OEM's around?

Edit: Signature, CP, and Basiq (newer models) are Delta built, as far as I know. The high end Earthwatts are Delta, while I think the lower end units are Seasonic.

Through my experience I had antec psus fail, 2 of them actually, but antec's rma program was great.

As a former Antec dealer, I have sold several PSU's from them. Most were the Earthwatts models, some were the True Power series. I have never heard of a single failure, and I am also running a Neo in my Q6600 rig.

Bad experiences can come from any company. I have even heard of a few Corsair PSU's being dead out of the box. The big thing is whether or not the company is willing to back their product or not. Corsair and Antec will both make sure you are taken care of if you have troubles.

if I remember correctly, the new antec 1200 outperformed the corsair ax1200 according to jonnyguru

I never really said the Antec line flat out sucks lol. I just mentioned that I hope this new lineup performs better than the current lineup. Yes I know having a bad corsair is possible, its really the luck of the draw. I am just stating I had 2 antecs that died on me under 1 year.

If you look at my old posts I actually recommend a lot of members Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, and the late PC and C.

As a former Antec dealer, I have sold several PSU's from them. Most were the Earthwatts models, some were the True Power series. I have never heard of a single failure, and I am also running a Neo in my Q6600 rig.

Bad experiences can come from any company. I have even heard of a few Corsair PSU's being dead out of the box. The big thing is whether or not the company is willing to back their product or not. Corsair and Antec will both make sure you are taken care of if you have troubles.

Where you around when they came out with the "Smart Power" series that came out around 2006?

Yeah, that's where antec messed up in QC. Nearly all of the server cases that came with the 500watt Smart Power (modular) failed catastrophically killing the motherboard and hard drives. Of course, the RMA was smooth, but we sent a ton of them back about a year or two later and once in a while nowadays we get that PSU come back failing (beyond the warranty period) the same way.

The main cause of failure was overheating due to their 'smart fan' not kicking in, and there was no way in forcing it to kick in regardless of temperature. I read that the fan was supposed to kick in when temps inside reached 80Celcius. This was the main cause of failure as the heat would mess it up.

That line came out before their better Earthwatts series, their Basiq are still so-so, but I would say their earthwatt series has brought them back.

Few days ago I just replaced a 6 year old Antec PSU (true power) and it did not leave any 'damage' to the motherboard, which was also 6 years old.

i've had 2 antecs die on me, both were in a 24/7 server in the basement, so i dont blame antec too much, still think of them as a top tier brand, but i do think they are always a little behind other top tier makers. It always seems there is something a little better out there than antec. I bought a corsair because it was rated as quieter than the antec offerings while offering much the same price, quality and performance.

There are a few models by antec to avoid. But they are the cheaper ones. If you stick to the signature, CP or Truepower (TPQ) series you are fine. Actually, they perform way above average and are on my list of true/tested recommended power supplies.

I'm interested in this new series though, waiting for the Jonny Guru reviews...

There are a few models by antec to avoid. But they are the cheaper ones. If you stick to the signature, CP or Truepower (TPQ) series you are fine. Actually, they perform way above average and are on my list of true/tested recommended power supplies.

I'm interested in this new series though, waiting for the Jonny Guru reviews...

Are these by chance the same platform as this?

And I was around during the Smart Power fiasco, but at the time I was showing PCP&C fan-boyism. I still even have my old Silencer 310 around here somewhere. It only gets used to power my pump when I am leak testing my loop these days. Nowadays, I usually just get Antec, Corsair, and I have an OCZ StealthXStream powering the P4 rig in my sig.

Are these by chance the same platform as this?

And I was around during the Smart Power fiasco, but at the time I was showing PCP&C fan-boyism. I still even have my old Silencer 310 around here somewhere. It only gets used to power my pump when I am leak testing my loop these days. Nowadays, I usually just get Antec, Corsair, and I have an OCZ StealthXStream powering the P4 rig in my sig.

Well I'll be. It was also already in my PSU thread, I didn't even remember I put it there :rain:

The only thing that throws me off is the color scheme though.. But if these performance numbers are accurate for that series, these should be some very solid PSU's.

-D

Well I'll be. It was also already in my PSU thread, I didn't even remember I put it there :rain:

The only thing that throws me off is the color scheme though.. But if these performance numbers are accurate for that series, these should be some very solid PSU's.

-D

The thing that kind of threw me off was the naming between the two. The review was for the High Current Pro, while the article is High Current Gamer. Maybe the difference between the two is the color scheme.:shrug:

They're not the same. They're listed separately on Antec's website. I find the original source to often be an appropriate place to find such information :)

The "Gamer" is 80+ bronze. The "Pro" is 80+ gold.

And I was going to get the Antec High Current Gamer 750 watts. If it is a good power supply, I'll buy it.

Whats a 'gaming' PSU? Marketing. L Ohhhhh L.

@ neilpart - Well this isnt the place for a what PSU discussion, but I can say the system you listed would easily run on a quality 550W PSU... If you are not going SLI/Crossfire, why 750w?

I thought I needed more power to run the GTX 560 and I want to overclock my cpu to 3.6 or 3.8 ghz

Back