• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec NEO Power BLUE 650 low 5v & high 12v on Sempron 2400 A7S8X-MX no drives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zack4mac

Antec NEO Power BLUE 650 low 5v & high 12v on Sempron 2400 A7S8X-MX no drives?

Hello I am new to your forum and would like to say hello to everyone from Sunny Rhyl North Wales UK.:)

My problem is similar to another post by "fubo.x" titled "+5v too low and +12v too high" the reason this was said to be happening was "fubo.x" was using a inexpensive psu? This makes sense but I'm having the same thing with the Antec NEO BLUE 650 supposedly rated at 25w on the 5V? or could it be the motherboard?

Vcore 1.58-1.60
+3.3V 2.86V
+5 4.65V
+12V 12.06V

Although I have had the psu a number of years, I forget exactly how many years? Its sat most of them years doing nothing only being used about a dozen times .

If anyone can point me in the right direction,it would be great
Cheers

From what I can find that was a good PSU back in the day. Pretty old to still be in use. I'm not an expert on PSU's but IIRC a 10% fluctuation is fairly standard.so a +5v line could read anywhere from +4.5-5.5v and still be fine. Same with the 12v lines. 11.88-12.12v. Maybe one of our experts will chime in soon.

Oh, Welcome to OCF!!

My $.02.
Your PSU, while decent for the era that it was made for, is tired.
Your 12v rail shows good because the platform you're using it on is 5v and 3.3v heavy.
There is no extra 12v 4 pin CPU connector on that board. Too old.
It does not use very much 12v at all.

Minimal fluctuation from idle to load is normal..

A variation from its rated values are 5% to be in spec. So the unit is in spec if the values are within 5% of 12v, 5v, or 3.3v.

As ED mentioned you are likely still within specs. Are you having any specific power related issues with the machine?

I have the same PSU and it's been rock solid since I purchased it back in 2011. I've used it in countless builds over the years and lately it's been pushed even further as I added a more power hungry GPU. Still going strong!

Thanks everyone for giving me plenty to think about. I'm a little over 5% at 4.65v and thats without any storage plus I forgot the age of this PSU. it only seems like yesterday!
I think it might be best to invest in a new PSU and switch to to socket 939.
Can you guys recomend any particulat models? I'm thnking about the XFX XPS-450 or Corsair VS450?
Cheers again for taking time out :)

Switch to socket 939? Is this 2005? :)

What's the budget here? Those are serviceable psus you listed...but that's about it.

My go-to's are EVGA & Seasonic but look up reviews @ jonnyguru to be sure it's a good model.

Back