• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any Gaming LCD @ 85hz+ out there ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ESPII

Registered
Im looking for a gaming lcd 19" 1280x1024 /w an input frequency of 85hz.

I am aware that lcd's do not use "refresh rates" like crt's do. However
no matter how fast an lcd's response time, it's still limited by the vertical and horizontal scan frequency which determines the max number of frames that are displayed.

Let me give you an example.

My current lcd is a 20.1" VX2025wm LCD.

Response Time 8ms gray-to-gray (avg.); 16ms white-black-white (typ)

Frequency Fh: 30~82kHz, Fv: 50~75Hz

As far as i understand the "true" response time is 16ms

Following the progression of the mitsubishi chart:

12ms response time is, 1 / .012 = 83.3 Hz equivalent
16ms response time is, 1 / .016 = 62.5 Hz equivalent
25ms response time is, 1 / .025 = 40.0 Hz equivalent
40ms response time is, 1 / .040 = 25.0 Hz equivalent

Which means my screen will default @ 60 Hz input frequency = 60 Frames Per Second Max.

If my lcd only displays up to 60 frames per second and my video card draws 150 fps, tearing will occur because frames get "stacked" on top of each other, you see part of one frame and part of another. The only solution
is to turn vsync on which in my view limits performance in high paced games such as first person shooters.

Let's take look at another model.

Viewsonic VX922.

2ms gray-to-gray (avg.); 2ms white-black-white (typ)

Frequency Fh: 30~82kHz, Fv: 50~75Hz

2ms response time is, 1 / .002 = 500 Hz equivalent

As you can see, even if the response time is very fast, it's still bound and limited by the vertical and horizontal scan frequency of 75 Hz which means up to 75 frames per second are going to be displayed.

I once read an article where the US Air Force tests concluded that the human eye can perceive changes beyond 200 frames per seconds.

I still love the brightness, sharpness, color and digital vibrance on lcd displays.

So anyone who knows a good gaming LCD @ 85 Hz input frequency or higher, please let me know!

I would love an LCD where i can get 85+ fps with vsync off and not suffer too much tearing!

I think input lag should also be taken into account, but that's another story.

Thanks for looking.

At this time there are none that can do what you are looking for, but a short while ago I read a news article which said that by the end of this year we would be able to get LCDs with 120hz and more colors then current LCDs. I'll try to find the article for you.

Welcome to the forums

edit: http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36869

Last edited:
thanks for the feedback!

I hope so too! But until then ? What should i use ? a sony trinitron crt ?

thats up to you on what to use. i have a sammy 740B and use 75hz. it will tie me over till i can nab a good lcd. well by then OLED display's (hopes) will be out for computer monitors. no backlight what so ever for OLED's and as thin as 2.2mm.

Evilsizer said:
thats up to you on what to use. i have a sammy 740B and use 75hz. it will tie me over till i can nab a good lcd. well by then OLED display's (hopes) will be out for computer monitors. no backlight what so ever for OLED's and as thin as 2.2mm.
I tried to wait for the OLEDs but my monitor was on it's last legs and I had to get a new one, the problem is that the people developing OLED say that OLED will be out next year and it never is ready for mainstream, I've been waiting since 05.

yea, you do know sony has a OLED Tv out this year though. its only 27in, i havent seen it for sale yet anywhere.

EDIT:

I would really appreciate if you guys would recommend a *gaming lcd* with these basic specs:

19" 1280x1024 native resolution

low response time ( 2 ms ? )

75 Hz input signal.

low or no visible tearing with vsync OFF.

good reviews or community recommendation.

( if tearing is bad, i will just turn vsync and triple buffering on and hope for the best )

Thank You!

Last edited:
Evilsizer said:
my vote for this one, there is currently no 2ms display. that time they show is Gray to Gray.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001080

Judging from the newegg reviews, that monitor seems to have poor viewing angles, runs at 60 Hz optimum, and has other defects :confused:, if you read the reviews from low ratings to high.

What about the Viewsonic VX922 ?

2ms gray-to-gray (avg.); 2ms white-black-white (typ)

isn't that true 2ms ? i read that lcd is a 6 bit panel, which means 256k colors ? true or false ?

ratings on newegg mean nothing, imo... from the reviews i found with google they rated it rather high. im not much into the LCD panel tech, but i know my 17in uses the same type of panel. the only thing that bugs me at times is the backlight bleed thru when playing games with really dark areas, ie doom3/quake4/Fear/stalker. i dont consider a GTG a true reading, they use to rate it on the actual color changing. by using GTG for a MS reading while true when thats all they show for specs you get the feeling its a fast lcd when the MS time is more like 6ms or 8ms. dunno about the viewsonic, i might go google it to read some reviews if any are out there...

Avg said:
At this time there are none that can do what you are looking for, but a short while ago I read a news article which said that by the end of this year we would be able to get LCDs with 120hz and more colors then current LCDs. I'll try to find the article for you.

Welcome to the forums

edit: http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36869

**** after seeing that i may wanna wait on my lcd purchace... if they were at ces we are pretty much guarenteed they will be out shortly... a 20-22inch 1900x1200, 120hz, 14bit lcd would be AMAZING!

nd4spdbh2 said:
**** after seeing that i may wanna wait on my lcd purchace... if they were at ces we are pretty much guarenteed they will be out shortly... a 20-22inch 1900x1200, 120hz, 14bit lcd would be AMAZING!

Thanks for the link Avg.

120hz would definitely allow us to play fast paced first person shooters and not worry about vsync or tearing, plus the added bonus of 120+ frames per second
combined with brightness, sharpness, color vibrance and crystal clarity of lcd's!! :drool:

I feel that right now lcd's have a picture quality advantage but performance is lacking, which might soon change!

What would be my best bet right now ?

Should i look for a 75 Hz *optimal* LCD that somehow manages to play FPS games with little to no visbile tearing or...

Should i just get a 21" inch FD trinitron CRT till the new lcd panels hit the market ?

dunno what to tell ya man... im definetly now waiting for new gen lcds to come out so im sticking with my good ole dell 17inch crt that does 85 hz (which i turn on vsync because my 8800gts pumps out so many damn frames)

Back