• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone ever try this Fluid XP+ stuff

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I did see a thing about a guy that ran a submerged comp, but he didn't have anything crculating the fluid. It was not FluidXP, I think it was some 3M product. He didnt have very good temps though. He still had a HS on the proc. He tried to run it bare die, but it got too hot with no circulation. I use(d) fluid XP, but stopped. I got a bottle for 25 bucks. It does lubricate, prevent corrosion, etc, but it also had some sort of bad reaction with something in my loop. I have a dtek procore, a WW, an MCP600, and a blue clear bayres, connected with 1/2" clearflex 60. One of it's properties is that it coats all the surfaces in the loop with a layer of some type of polymer. What this means in reality is that everything is coated with a white film, tubing, block, res, and (I assume) the inside of the pump and rad. I drained the system because little pieces of this coating were flaking off and getting caught in the whitewater. I was still getting good temps with it, despite a slopily applied layer of AS5. It would keep my A64 3500+ @10x250 1.55V around 40 degrees under load, with about a 76-78 degree ambient. I'm going to be re-doing my system with plain distilled water in a few weeks so I can compare temps. BTW, procore heater cores don't have any aluminum, correct? so I would not need an anti-corrosive, just distilled water? I think that it is too heavy to be aluminum, but I'm not sure. Also, fluidXP smells really bad. It stunk when I drained it. But, it doesnt conduct, so...

Ya. I cleaned it off my WW already, but I still have the res and some old tubing. I'll get some up tomorrow, going to sleep now. (I know, only 2 AM, but hey.. Gotta get time away from forums).

I haven't used fluidxp, but I'm getting ready to put together a system using it; however, I won't ever use water, so I won't really be able to compare the cooling properties between the two. From what I've read, it's only 10% better than water at cooling, which isn't much, but a lot of electrically nonconductive fluids cool much worse than water. Mineral oil, for example, cools 60% as good as water. Here's some data off the fluidXP website, this was supposedly an independent study:
Note that specific heat for fluidxp is .94 water is 1, and Aluminum is .215. Also, for Thermal conductivity, fluidxp is 3.6, while water is 4.16 and aluminum is 1660.
So, fluidxp cools only slightly worse than water, but a lot better than most other nonconductive liquids. ( I wasn't able to find thermal properties of mineral oil or other nonconductive fluids)

A: pH 7.0
Non-Toxic: FDA has given all ingredients in this fluid the same classification given to common products such as vinegar and table salt: Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS).
Flash Point, None
Fire Point, None
Freeze Point, (ASTM D1177-94 Standard) 9.5ºF (-12.5ºC)
Boiling Point 211ºF (99.44ºC)
Viscosity, (Canon Fiske Standard) @ 20ºC 4.37 centiStokes
Viscosity, (Canon Fiske Standard) @ 40ºC 2.50 centiStokes
Viscosity, (Lyondell Data Sheet) @ 85ºC 0.85 centiStokes
Conductivity (Electrical) 11.7 microSiemens/cm
Conductivity (Thermal, Conductance (k), Calculated) Approx. 3.6 Btu-in./Hr-ft²-ºF
Conductivity (Thermal, Specific Heat (C), Calculated) Approx. .94 Btu/lb/F.
Vapor Pressure psia @(ºF) 17.5 (68), 31.05 (86), 13.15 (211)
Evaporation Rate (Weight Loss) 0.49 mg/cm-min (DI Water 0.660 mg/cm-min)
Specific Gravity @ 20/20C 1.027
Density (@ 50 ºF) 1.029
Evaporation Rate (Relative to DI Water) 0.74

All Tests were performed at S-F Analytical Laboratories, Inc, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Fluid XP+ has a tailored property to minimize evaporation of the fluid by using a small amount of 1-Deodeconol to create a very thin pseudo-plastic layer on top of the fluid in the reservoir to slow evaporation. The 1-dodeconol has unique properties in that one end of the molecule attaches to water and the other end is hydrophobic so it orientates itself side by side to create this layer of material. The 1-dodeconol also works to reduce vapor passing through the walls of tubing by creating a “Skin” on the fluid as it passes through the tubing blocking the pours in the tubing.

Last edited:
Back