• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anyone have info on Thermstrate Phase-Change Thermal Compounds?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you want get IC Diamond 7, I have it and it works really good.
But as EarthDog said, mx-2 is the best bang/buck paste out there, even better than as5 or mx-4, pk-1 or whatever...

People have been using AS5 on that type of AMD CPU for years. I wouldnt worry about it as they all fill the cracks without phase change. All that means is at temperature that product will 'melt'.

AMD says that they use a phase change glop.
I've been using AA Ceramique for some time now. Works great.

O.K.
This will be my 1st CPU upgrade, though, and I could use some direction selecting a good product for someone that hasn't done an install before (or even worked a calk-gun much, either) .

I'd like to add that you need to place a small drop of paste, the size of a dry rice grain in the middle of the cpu, don't spread it, let the pressure of the heatsink spread it and if you like do small turns with it before locking it to the board.
That should net you the best results!

I'd like to add that you need to place a small drop of paste, the size of a dry rice grain in the middle of the cpu, don't spread it, let the pressure of the heatsink spread it and if you like do small turns with it before locking it to the board.
That should net you the best results!
I'm not sure I'd have the heatsink spread the paste for an AthlonXP. If it had a integrated heatspreader I'd be with you 100%. However, since it has a naked die I'd be very worried about using too little grease. And since too much grease is also bad, it's probably a better idea to just use a credit card or other clean plastic straightedge and spread it thin beforehand.

JigPu

The OP's question was, "anyone have info on Thermstrate Phase-Change Thermal Compounds? "
I can assist a little. I first learnt of their existance about ten years ago after reading this:-
http://www.dansdata.com/powerdev.htm

Dan is a bit of a character and has a sense of humour that radiates through his writing. I didn't think much about this class of compound until I read this:-
http://skinneelabs.com/2011-thermal-paste-review-comparison/

Clearly after reading that, There was a king in the Thermal Compound class. As to how an Engineered Thermal Interface works? ( an Engineered Thermal Interface or ETI is just another name for a Thermstrate Phase-Change Thermal Compound.) Substances in their pure form are either elements or compounds (a combination of elements), and each has a solid, liquid and gaseous existance. Most metals at room temperature are solid.....but mercury is not. What has been designed as an Engineered Thermal Compound is a substance that melts at a higher temperature (and thus will flow) but solidifies once that temperature has been reduced......and also has excellent heat transfer characteristics.

Early work in this are centred on non metals...and in fact many were organic such as parrifin and it's derivatives. Later, metal compounds were used and boron salts came into their own. TX-4 I think it is, uses boron nitrate to try and take advantage of it's characteristic of melting and great thermal transfer ability. The term "phase-change" simply refers to the substance changing from a solid phase to a liquid phase.

Exactly what substances such as Indigo Xtreme are made up from is obviously a trade secret, but it forms into this class.

The next issue is whether you should use such a substance. ..... If you look back to Skinnee's roundup, you can see the varying results of all good Thermal Compounds. Any of the compounds mentioned by the writer above will suit you unless you are an overclocker and looking for that last 1 degree improvement. I also read the literature accompanying the AMD CPU you mentioned. All references showed a stock cooler. You will gain a far greater advantage using an excellent, well reviewed cooler with a good compound than a standard cooler that comes with your CPU and an Thermstrate Phase-Change Thermal Compound.

Hope this assists.

Thermstrate Phase-Change Thermal Compound

Consider that as a magic word from Harry Potter books. Sounds good.

Get a good cooler and good paste.

Lots of discussion here and good stickies.

Back