• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone pre-order the Ceton quad-tuner?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gsrcrxsi

I did :)

info on it here: http://hd.engadget.com/2010/03/30/ceton-infinitv-4-cablecard-tuner-review/

i was initially looking to pick up the ATI TV wonder digital cable tuner, since it has/had CableCARD support. so i went looking and couldnt find ANY of the internal tuners for sale anywhere. i found a few externals for nearly 300 bones, but im not interested in an external setup. i then came to find out that on April 1st ATI discontinued all support for this product, both internal and external versions. it was only a single tuner anyway.

then here comes Ceton. they release a quad tuner with CableCARD support all on a single card, and only requiring a single CableCARD. this may be a little more than i need right now, but it leaves me plenty of room for expansion. plus its the only CableCARD tuner currently available.

you can pre-order through cannonpc or Zones, though id recommend cannon, as zones charges crazy shipping fees and tax in nearly every state. my pre-order was about 410 shipped from cannon. and your CC wont be charged until it ships, which should be may 31st.

anyone else excited about this?

I haven't seen this and no, I didn't pre-order it.

However, I AM excited about it and would like to hear from you after you receive it and install it!

i would be excited if the ability to record hd broadcast weren't DRMed up the wazzu. plus this probabbly won't worth with switched signals so make sure you dont have that.

im pretty sure this is only for cable, not satellite. but im not positive.

also to note this probably wont be linux friendly right away. but i use windows media center so i wont have any issues.

but this will be able to record any channel you get from a set top box. thats the whole point of having the cable card. im not trying to redistribute the material, but ill want the ability to record any channel to my HTPC and watch it later. also even without the cable card, it will still have 4 digital tuners on a single card. which is impressive.

i cant wait for this to ship :)

but ill want the ability to record any channel to my HTPC and watch it later.

The issue with DRM comes in to play here. If a broadcast is flagged as CopyOnce you'll *only* be able to watch it at your HTPC where you recorded it unless you use extenders. As long as that meets your needs you're good to go. However a 4-tuner model that *doesn't* allow the free use of the recordings on other sets is limiting to many. That's not Ceton's fault. That's your friendly cableco in action.

Whether this will be an issue depends entirely on how your cableco marks their content and what you intend to record. They aren't all the same so it pays to do some investigating if you think you ever might want to share recordings among PCs/TVs.

When these were first announced, it sounded like a great idea, but lately I find myself watching TV maybe 1-2 hours a week. There's just so much on Netflix, Hulu, etc, that I'm thinking about cancelling the cable.

Back