• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

apple ipad announced

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Tablet :)

I'm looking forward to this simply because I loved the UI with both the I-Phone and the I-pod touch. Unless they Macerise it then it should be pretty good! Thanks for the link.

Not that I plan on buying one, but if anyone is really interested in this type of product, wait 2 months, and buy something for nearly 40% less that doesn't have the Apple logo.

Sorry, I hate apple, biggest load of phonies ever created. Good for them through for cashing in on fascism.

I don't see this being a good idea. Apple has it on their site, and it isn't even shipping until April, for the 3G version. Plus, being that this thing IS a giant iPhone, it'll be extremely easy to drop. An iPhone is only easy to hold in your hand because it's the right size. It doesn't really have any grip to it....so making a 10" version cant really be all that good for mobility. It's not like a laptop, where you'll rest it on a desk. The point of a tablet is to hold it in one arm, and use it with the other. I know Apple is into making nice looking products, but this design has really compromised what little functionality it might have, and what, if any, advantages it has over a laptop or Windows style tablet.

Name = lame
Design aesthetics = boring
iPhone OS = very lame
No multitasking ability = very lame
IPS-type LCD screen = pretty cool
Proprietary CPU = lame
Excessive border space around the screen = lame
10 hour battery life = not bad, similar to netbooks
$130 extra for 3G capability, not counting monthly charges = very lame
$500 base price = meh, that's what I expected it would cost without subsidized pricing. For that price I'd rather buy a fancy netbook capable of running a real operating system.

It's tough to say, the iPad could be a winner, or it could be Apple's first real failed product since the G4 Cube. I'm predicting the latter, I don't think it will be flying off of the shelves like some people are saying. $500 is cheap enough that gadget heads and Apple fans will buy it, but other then that it's too much for such a limited and compromised device for most of us, and its too expensive to be a legitimate contender in the portable video gaming market too.

Last edited:
Nothing innovative, price isn't terrible so I'm sure Apple supporters will purchase this product. I don't see it becoming as popular as an iPod as a target customer will see it essentially as the same device only larger.

I want to see how this processor compares to a snapdragon in the Nexus. If this is slower it makes this entire product a joke. It could realistically be less powerful than a device 1/10th its size.

The only thing cool I see coming out of this is when it gets jailbroken. With more screen real estate I think their will be some pretty interesting applications.

ipad gets a big yawn from me. mostly in the area of user input. the software keyboard was ok for the iphone/ipod because they are not content creation machines but rather content consumption machines. the ipad on the other hand is large enough to be a content creation machine (hence iwork) but is hampered by the software keyboard.

if the ipad had ink capability (ala microsoft courier) then that would dash all notion that it was simply a large iphone and it would be a much more heralded device. on the other hand a physical keyboard would have made it just a netbook and everyone knows how jobs feels about them.

IT REALLY NEEDED PEN INPUT.

.... ipad suites it quite well.. cus it sure as **** aint a tablet pc.... a tablet pc is something running a full os, that you take to the job site or w/e to input the data and take notes, then come back inside dock it and use it like a computer... this thing is like others have stated a big iphone.... it gets a MEH from me. iphone os and crappy hardware... cmon.

Lets not make any feminine hygiene cracks referencing the name ipad ......but does it come in scented or unscented?:D

I have not read yet whats the OS? 4.0? and what improvements are in store for the iphone?

At least you can get the cheapest one without 3G...Jailbreak your iphone and use it as a wifi hotspot.

Any mobile device with a screen larger than a few inches needs to be in a fordable design. They should have put two back to back like a (paper) notebook. Not only would it keep the screen from getting destroyed every time you throw the thing in your bag, but it would also open up a whole range of usability. One screen could be a keyboard, while you use the other a a screen, dual displays is always nice when surfing the web/comparing documents, if you allow them to be folded well past 90* you could even set it up and have some pretty cool two person gaming. I think they just missed their target audience (other than apple fanboys) with its design.

smoth, executed properly I think that would be worthy of the fanfare that many Apple products get. It's like you just described... what they SHOULD have done. I'm really unimpressed with this "iPad" although what will really make or break it is the software. The iTouch/iPhone are nice, but it's the app store that makes them such a killer product. Without the apps, they're pretty average touchscreen devices, with a pretty smooth interface.

i agree to wait for different maker to put one out .. although i wonder what would happen to it if say you dropped compared to a laptop/netbook

i was surprised with the price of it though .. i was expecting 599.00 .would have like =d to see it 399.00 .. id rather buy a laptop though

There are negatives and positives pertaining to the iPad. I am seriously considering getting one but will wait till later this summer once some reviews have come out.

Things that I like:

• 3G option w/o having to lock into a contract.
  • 10 hour battery life.
  • IPS screen.
  • Overall size and dimensions.
  • iBook and iWork

Things I don't like:

• 3G Option cost $130
  • No flash support (even though it would probably kill battery life)
  • No tethering support
  • Multitasking? Looks like OS 4.0 should support this, not sure if the iPad comes with OS 4.0 and if not how long it will take to get to the iPad.

After thinking about it, I will probably get one if the iPad makes it to a second generation model and if tethering or a tethering hack becomes available for the iPad.

I think the something this size people are going to expect to be able to multitask on it... but when they can't, we may find out how high it bounces...

Back