• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Apple Said to Be Exploring Switch From Intel for Mac

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...ring-switch-from-intel-chips-for-the-mac.html

i hear the irony phone ringing....

while the switch to arm cpus will lower apple's cost for the hw. apple will probably not be going that low on the cost of its hw to the consumer. not to mention apple will now need to redo it's os to support arm as well has its app's. unless you like the idea of a the ipad/iphone os on your laptop/desktop.

knowing apple they probably will make there desktops like the ipad the less choices and customization they can give the end user and get away with it,the less product/customer support they have to give.

arms make sense...

Apple is mostly a gadget company these days. retooling their whole system and OS for their cash cow makes sense. Intel really doesn't lose much by losing the Mac. Mac, meanwhile will be able to optimize to better compete with android and samsung... simply put intel isn't competitively priced at anything. It made sense for apple to use premium price when their gadgets were a niche market... but now that anyone can have a smartphone or music player for less then $100 apple runs the real risk of being cut out of yet another market they created (like what happened with the apple 2, in the 80s).

They pioneered this market, and if they don't adjust to the demand they'll become irrelevant in it like they are in the PC market.

I don't like the thought of Apple going to the ARM CPU. I like the x86 intel-AMD better.

It would seem that way cause apple is making their own designs for the iOS line and if they are able to get enough performance with them we may see mac running custom apple. However intel is making headway with extremely low power consumption while keeping performance at a steady increase (+ integrated gpu improvements). If apple does switch over it will be a while from now.

If apple goes only with a arm CPUs, the a/v pros will be alienated. The current performance isn't going to be up to their standards just yet. That is when comparing intel vs arm for that kind of work load.

Back