• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

APU Throttling at only 46c?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zizux

Running OCCT it throttles regardless of if it is overclocked or running stock.

Specs:

MSI fm2-a75ia-e53
A10-6800K
G.SKILL 1866 ram *(I've tried running the ram at diferent speeds to no avail)

I'm using an all in one watercooler and it will boot and run various things just fine at say 4.8ghz, however if I run OCCT it will run for a few minutes then start throttling down. Using the MOBO "Click Bios" and hwmonitor it shows the CPU temp is only 46-48c but it will start throttling as low as 46c.

The bios options are quite limited, I'm just trying to make sure I can avoid it while gaming in say BF4 or something like it.

I updated the bios to see if that would help and it seems worse. I've pulled the cooler and replaced the compound, I'm thinking the bios is reading the cpu temp right?

Have you tried getting some airflow over the VRM section and or maybe putting heatsinks on it?

Not really up to date on that APU rig you have but temps alone are not all that 'can' throttle an FX cored APU on heavy load like P95 Blend.

HIGH current draw thru the VRMs can also cause Cpu Throttling if AMD spec is followed. Maybe not now but over the last few years MSI has not had the better of reputations for their VRM circuit and AMD cpu type systems. So MSI may in fact be testing current draw and throttling the cpu.

See if APM enable/disable is available in the bios. If so DISable it and current draw should not be an issue.

There is also often a setting in bios called HPC and it should be enabled and helps combat cpu throttling.

All above were just FYI. Of course with AiO cooling...blowing air directly at the VRMs is a supreme idea.
RGone...ster.

Thanks guys!

I had a spare fan and directed at the VRM's and it has been going for about 15min now without throttling. I'm guessing that was the issue.

The machine is all pulled apart now, I'll have to rig something up so I can have VRM cooling once I put the case all back together. ITX builds are fun but sometimes a PITA.

Back