• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Arctic Silver 3 or Ceramique

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
eobard said:

Good question. *yoink*

"yoink"? That's a new sound for this sort of thing ;)

I dunno about ASIII or Ceramique, I'm using AS prototypes ;)

I'm sure the rule of "let it set and your temps will be better" for ASIII is probably true of Ceramique as well, it's essentially the same idea between the two.

Mustanley said:
I thought AS3 was easier to spread cause the Ceramique is sooo thick. I've switched to Ceramique anyway, but I haven't noticed any temp difference between the two.

Yeah it is soooo thick. I lacked any razor blades in the house so I tore the metal piece off a floppy disk and used the flat edge.

I think I'll switch back to AS3 cause it is just so dang smooth.

you're forgetting about the clean up.. as3 is a uhh pain in the buttocks to clean up ;x ceramique whips off wiht little or no effort =d

as3 is easy to wipe off. dip a quetip or cutip, whatever u call those things u put in your ears, into some alcohol and wipe away

aznchaos said:
ceramique is not suppost to be spread dont you guys read the instructions on the site.

Yes, I read them. But there's no way I'm gonna do it that way, there's not even any compound on the edges of the chip! That's another reason that I would rather use AS3, cause you are supposed to spread that.

cherryp00t said:
you're forgetting about the clean up.. as3 is a uhh pain in the buttocks to clean up ;x ceramique whips off wiht little or no effort =d

It's not like I take off the heatsink and clean the chip everyday... ;)

you dont? :p
Originaly posted by DarkDraco
but they say you dont get immediate effects with AS3 and u have to wait like 2 weeks for it harden and be working at its best.
read this *points down*
Originaly posted by www.arcticsilver.com
Important Reminder:
Due to the unique shapes and sizes of the particles in Ceramique, it will take a minimum of 12 hours to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the heatsink.) On systems measuring actual internal core temperatures via the CPU's internal diode, the measured temperature will often drop slightly over this "break-in" period.
same with AS3

Yeah, I dunno where the "two weeks" came from... I heard it was a couple days.

Ok, I'm a believer.... after applying the ceramique I noticed a 2c drop in my temps. Same heatsink.

One question though... how long does this stuff typically lasts before it gets old and you have to reapply it? I'd just like to get some opinions on that. :)

substratus said:
One question though... how long does this stuff typically lasts before it gets old and you have to reapply it? I'd just like to get some opinions on that. :)

I think it's something like 2 years for AS, dunno about Ceramique.

I did it both ways... got slightly better temps when I spread it real carefully... go figure. Only talking like 3/4 of 1 degree C though.

aznchaos said:
ceramique is not suppost to be spread dont you guys read the instructions on the site.

if you have a P4 or some other chip with a heatspreader, the instructions show that it should be spread out over the heat spreader.

You may want to have another look at the instructions. ;)

No more spreading. A small dab in the middle of a P4 heatspreader, about the size of an uncooked grain of rice is recommended. Why? From the instructions:

Our testing has shown that this method minimizes the possibility of air bubbles and voids in the thermal interface between the heat spreader and the heatsink. Since the vast majority of the heat from the core travels directly through the heat spreader, it is more important to have a good interface directly above the actual CPU core than it is to have the heat spreader covered with compound from corner to corner.

Colin Thompson
Arctic Silver, Inc.

Hmm interesting, the last time i checked the instructions they showed the P4 with the ceramique spread evenly over the whole heatspreader, but i guess this method makes sense. Well now i know. I guess you were right after all aznchaos

Once again....

substratus said:
I did it both ways... got slightly better temps when I spread it real carefully... go figure. Only talking like 3/4 of 1 degree C though.

I tried each way and picked the one that worked for me. ;)

edit - Arcticsilver's instructions are not necessarily the gospel truth. If you know what you are doing with ceramique you can do it as per the new or old instructions.

Back