• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are consoles looking as good as PC's now?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Bob, when you have a moment, link me up to some 792p content and what it is...I would do it myselg but everything gaming related is blocked at the office. TIA! :)

EDIT: This is all I could come up with...

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/ps4-vs-xbox-720-which-is-better-1127315/3

EDIT2: Forget it... I see the headlines in google, and can look at them at home tonight. :)

You get the idea :)

Its certainly 1080p ready, but very rarely utilized. EA was "Called out" on this a while ago, why you will randomly see "FPS is just a number" or some crap like that. I'll try to find the article later.

I do.. thanks! I was never much of a consolite, lol. I always thought that games were rendered at the native res of the console... not some odd arse res!

Frankly I cant tell what one is PC or PlayStation 4 on the right here lips look more real she is more pale looking. On the left here face is more orange in cooler and her face is more blurry, on the right here face has more detail, on the left it looks like more dirt on here face, on the right here nose looks weird at the bridge. I'm guessing the PC one is at the right, the hair does not have jagged lines. They both look real good with my 27" Monitor.

Then you need to get your eyes checked. No one will judge you for wanting a console, but ffs there are very clear and obvious differences in framerates and graphics quality between PC and consoles, this set of screenshots included.

BF4 isn't several years old.

It just came out two years ago. Released: October 29, 2013

Of everything stated, this hyperbole is what you're going to focus on? Lets focus on the discussion at hand, not minor exaggerations of a game's "based-off-an-engine-built-in-2011" release date.

Of everything stated, this hyperbole is what you're going to focus on? Lets focus on the discussion at hand, not minor exaggerations of a game's "based-off-an-engine-built-in-2011" release date.

Correctness of release dates is highly important to me. Overstate the age of the game and you skew the expectations of its quality and thereby the basis on which it is judged.

Correctness of release dates is highly important to me. Overstate the age of the game and you skew the expectations of its quality and thereby the basis on which it is judged.

Noted.

Its an old game with old technology. Of course, "old" is still relative to computers and technology. I'll be more specific next time.

November 15, 2013 was the release date for the PlayStation 4 only 1 generation old, it is based on the Jaguar CPU architecture and the GPU is a customized version of AMD's 7870 GPU. So with all the hardware customization's and direct coding for gaming, I don't understand why it cant compete with a $800 PC?

That screen shot did favor the PC shot on the right with great detail and after looking at still shots of the links that I posted, the PlayStation sucks and now I can see that I'm not going to get one.

I have one screen shot that I think was close in a game that has been patched what are all your opinions. PS4 vs PC.jpg

Whats your point? You're discussing games optimized for a console to begin with. The 7870 isn't exactly an "earth shattering" performer. Its equivalent to an r9 270x.

$ for $, consoles typically win. At the cost of expandability, upgradeability, and game cost. No "steam sales" on the ps4 lol.

A properly configured 800$ computer will be considerably more powerful than a console, but maybe not enough to warrant the extra cost to some people.

Are you trying to convince us that consoles are better? IF thats the case, you are sincerely barking up the wrong tree. Theres arguments to be made for either side, but power is a quantifiable number. PS4 and Xbone lose.

I'm thinking they don't want to run the games at full potential to give a upgrade path for game graphics for more sales $$$ in the future. The PS3 lasted 7 years before a upgrade.

The ps3 and 360 lasted as long as they did because the hardware did what consumers, developers and later on people who wanted a cheap media hub wanted it to do. Now people want more, developers need more power to deliver it and the ones who wanted a cheap media hub want more integration with their devices and media outlets. Thus new hardware was required.

They don't run the games full out because the system can't handle it with current coding. Maybe later on developers will learn to take advantage of the hardware more fully, but then PC will still have the advantage.

Why wouldn't a company want to run a game at the full potential? I don't understand your logic. Why would they hold back the capability of current generation games and their developers in order to have an obvious upgrade path in half of a decade? Of course hardware will be better 5 years from now, and the developers will be able to take more advantage of that new hardware than current limitations on pc or console can provide.

The systems have limitations I'm their processing power and memory. The parts that were selected for those boxes were about the best they could do for a given price range to still make some money on each console sold (or at least not lose much). You can better believe that if a console manufacturer had the hardware capability to run a game maxed out similar to a high end PC with a high and consistent frame rate that they would do so (and developers would do so for their games...)

Last edited:
I'm assuming consoles have a storage capability. Do they use HDD or SSD or some form of flash for that ? And would that have any noticeable effect on performance? I wouldn't think so for online gaming , but I know nada about consoles.

Consoles come with spinner drives. The PS4 is easily upgradable to a bigger soinner, hybrid, or ssd. They each give improvements in load times, but not as high as seen on a pc.

Last edited:
Why wouldn't a company want to run a game at the full potential? I don't understand your logic.

Well I have found allot of comparison's PlayStation 4 vs PC and 3 years from now with more detail from the PC the PS4 will be able to keep up better, Didn't they do that with the PS3, the games did get better.

Okay, maybe putting it like this will help: All a console is, is a computer with it's own specialized OS and some custom parts that allow the system to fit in it's shell, remain as inexpensive as possible and still perform at a satisfactory level. The key word here is "satisfactory". Neither Microsoft nor Sony intend for these systems to compete with full blown PCs in visual metrics, and they would be foolish if they did. That's not their game. Consoles compete with PCs in the ease of use, low cost, and collaborative (or "party") play categories.

I'm telling you right now, that if there was a chance that a console that costs less than $500 could render a picture on my 50" TV that looks better than what the system in my sig can render on my 4K monitor at similar FPS, I wouldn't be typing this to you. My bottom line remains the same: A console will and can NOT outperform a high end PC graphically.

Well I have found allot of comparison's PlayStation 4 vs PC and 3 years from now with more detail from the PC the PS4 will be able to keep up better, Didn't they do that with the PS3, the games did get better.
annnnnnnnd, you don't think pc games will improve too? It's like claiming a 970 is as fast as a 980 if you overclock it.......but then forgetting you can overclock the 980 too. ;)

The games generally continue to look better the longer a console is out, that is true. As developers learn how to optimize and take advantage of every last drop of hardware games can continue to look better (at least, specifically, Naughty dog games, but they are just incredible at what they do, and only release for first party (Sony)).

That said, this is the first time (that I know of) that a console is basically using computer parts instead of some weird architecture that people have to figure out as time goes on (like Sony's 8-core cell cpu in the PS3 that most developers hated)

annnnnnnnd, you don't think pc games will improve too? It's like claiming a 970 is as fast as a 980 if you overclock it.......but then forgetting you can overclock the 980 too. ;)
I was making a reference that PlayStation 3 hardware was not replaced for 7 years and the software still improved game detail. Most PC active gamers upgrade hardware every 3 years, Intel says.

The games generally continue to look better the longer a console is out, that is true. As developers learn how to optimize and take advantage of every last drop of hardware games can continue to look better (at least, specifically, Naughty dog games, but they are just incredible at what they do, and only release for first party (Sony)).

That said, this is the first time (that I know of) that a console is basically using computer parts instead of some weird architecture that people have to figure out as time goes on (like Sony's 8-core cell cpu in the PS3 that most developers hated)

I guess we will have to see what happens, because configuration is still a little different in PlayStation 4 it uses 8GB GDDR 5 for main memory and memory controller, video decoder and a 8 core CPU, contains an audio module. looks like it's hell bent just to do gaming.:)

Last edited:
I was making a reference that PlayStation 3 hardware was not replaced for 7 years and the software still improved game detail. Most PC active gamers upgrade hardware every 3 years, Intel says.
Oh, that was in response to hardware? I thought the context was in regards to the games on said hardware improving over time...

Wait.. that is exactly how I responded... :-/

Games got better on the consoles over time, but games also got better on the PC as well. The PC upgrade cycle isn't terribly relevant IMO. Improvements are still being made, except its a moving target making things even more difficult for the devs, yet, the PC still looks leaps and bounds better in most cases.

Last edited:
Back