• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are there any quad-channel rdram enthusiast boards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pwnt by pat

Sis introduced thier r659 chipset which supports four channels of 1200 rdram at up 9.6gb/s bandwidth with a new revision of hyperstreaming. The chipset also supports upto 16gb of ram. This large amount of ram leads me to believe that this chipset is designed for servers. Even though the chipset uses rdram, I think that that much bandwidth on an enthusiast board would be cool to see. I would love to have one. Are there any out there or has the chipset even launched on boards yet? (sites I've seen refer to fourth quarter but I didn't catch of which year)

SiS and ASUS had a business deal going where obviously SiS provides the R659, while ASUS throws it on a motherboard. This was supposed to happen as early at 4 weeks after the early November 2003 launch, however nothing has come of it. A few months back I emailed ASUS asking about the boards, and the only reply I recieved was "ASUS has not yet planned a release date for these boards." I highly doubt we will see anything based on that chipset, however I believe I remember reading something about SiS making another similar chipset only with PCI-E and some other new features. Keep your eyes peeled, there is at least one other rdram enthusiast on this forum with you. :D

Regards,
Kyle

I don't know if I clasify as an rdram enthusiast. I just want to get my hands on all the bandwidth with the p4. I hope the chipset can support the 133mhz or 100mhz cpus.

Back