• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are you planning on getting a Droid X and installing a custom FW? Read this 1st!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

benbaked

Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member
http://www.examiner.com/x-57218-SF-...he-Droid-X-and-Motorola-will-brick-your-phone
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/modded-droid-x-handsets-self-destruct/8906

The eFuse is coded with information that it either looks for or is passed to it from the bootloader. The bootloader is loaded with information it looks for when it begins the boot-up process. (I have seen the sbf file look for a certain bootloader when it begins so its safe to assume that this is the process).

Once the the eFuse verifies that the information it is looking for or that has been passed through to it by the bootloader is correct then the boot process continues. What type of information is written to the bootloader? So far i’ve been able to verify that the firmware information (what we call ROMS), the kernel information, and the bootloader version.

If the eFuse failes to verify this information then the eFuse receives a command to “blow the fuse” or “trip the fuse”. This results in the booting process becoming corrupted and resulting in a permanent bricking of the Phone. This FailSafe is activated anytime the bootloader is tampered with or any of the above three parts of the phone has been tampered with.

According to the xda-developer forums there is no confirmation of this supposed "eFuse" chip yet, only speculation right now. Motorola has recently stated that they don't want the types of customers who would install custom firmwares:

http://www.phonedog.com/2010/07/14/motorola-if-you-want-custom-roms-buy-a-nexus-one/

Lori Fraleigh of the MOTODEV Blog said:
"We understand there is a community of developers interested in going beyond Android application development and experimenting with Android system development and re-flashing phones. For these developers, we highly recommend obtaining either a Google ADP1 developer phone or a Nexus One, both of which are intended for these purposes.

"At this time, Motorola Android-based handsets are intended for use by consumers and Android application developers, and we have currently chosen not to go into the business of providing fully unlocked developer phones."

Similarly equipped alternatives to the Droid X include the:

HTC Evo (1 GHz CPU, 512 MB RAM, 4.3" 800x480 res, 8MP rear camera with LED flash, 2MP front camera, 8 GB MicroSD card, CDMA phone - Sprint-only)
HTC Nexus One (1 GHz CPU, 512 MB RAM, 3.7" 800x480 res, 5MP rear camera with LED flash, noise canceling mic, 4 GB MicroSD card, GSM world phone)

...and both of those HTC phones can be flashed to custom ROMs. :cool:

Last edited:
I wanted the Evo, but i'm on tmobile so the whole "sprint only" thing kinda shot that down. I went with the N1 and love it. It has completely changed the way I use computers.

plus OP is right in saying it can be flashed, there are a number of custom ROMs once the phone is rooted (jail broken) plus.... um. flash is sweet.

http://www.examiner.com/x-57218-SF-Google-Android-Examiner~y2010m7d16-Motorola-does-NOT-want-to-brick-your-Droid-X

Motorola has since responded to Engadget's article regarding the issue. In question is eFuse, the tech that senses if a custom ROM has been loaded onto the device. According to Motorola, eFuse is not there to 'brick' your device if a ROM has been loaded onto it. All it does it reboot the handset into recovery mode, from which the appropriate ROM (i.e. "official" ROM's, and not the custom ones you can download from the internet) can be reloaded. The eFuse will not, by itself, brick your phone. This was done to ensure that only tested and certified ROM's are allowed on the system to prevent any malicious programs onto the device.

Despite Motorola's assurances that this was done for the benefit of the user, some are still crying fowl, saying that the Android OS was designed to allow advanced users to tinker with the phones and give true customization and personalization to an individual's handset. Motorola has stated that eFuse will be installed on future devices, but no word yet on how, or if, this will affect the reception of the upcoming Droid 2. (via Android Guys)
It will be a sad day when we can't "Hack" our phones....:cry: I like JBing my iphone as much as I like the phone itself. I have been keeping abreast of Android just in case Apple pulled something like this.:(

As long as there is one manufacture that doesn't pull this, they will have my business.:thup:

Back