• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

As i play most of these Computer games..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

quail

I started to wonder, What computer language are they written in? Meaning what is the most used computer code for the Top computer games of today? and what grapics software is implemented into that for these?

Usually they are written in C/C++.

Quake3 is all C and uses OpenGL, Halflife is C/C++ and will use OpenGL or D3D, UT2003 is heavily object-oriented and mostly C++ and will use OpenGL or D3D.

So if i was to go into computer programing geared toward game design, it would be best to go with c++?

C/C++ may be the most oft used languages in the gaming world, but that doesn't mean they are the best to learn with. Either way, once you've mastered the general theory of computer science, learning a new language is not a difficult task. I would pursue general programming in a language of your chocie (C, Java, or Python are all good choices IMO), and also an understanding of object oriented programming (OOP).

You'll also need to know a fair amount regarding graphics and some higher level math to use OpenGL / D3D to their fullest extent.

I recommend you learn an object oriented language like c++ first. Getting in the habbit of writing procedural code won't help you when you try to write effective object oriented code. They are two seperate ideologies and the more experience you have with one, the harder it is to learn the other.

Back