• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aspire One Netbook as a touch screen car pc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
Ok so my netbook was neat for a while when I got it near the end of 08. I still use it around the house, but both the DC cord's plug and the jack on the computer are loose... Yeah, pretty cheap stuff IMO.

I'm thinking of buying a new laptop anyway, I certainly don't need the netbook for daily use. So I thought it might make a pretty sweet car PC and I could actually get some use out of it. That would also give me some motivation to replace the jack and clean the thing up, maybe pop in a larger HDD but I'll worry about that later.

So I've heard of these touch screen kits for a while, I remember it used to be a big deal with soldering to various places but now I believe the kits come with USB hubs to avoid that problem. I'm thinking XP Media Center should run just fine on it and my car's stereo has a 3.5mm jack in right on the front, plus I have a cigarette lighter power inverter so none of that is a problem.

What do you guys know about these touch panel add-ons?

Here's one for $70 shipped or so http://cgi.ebay.com/8-9-Acer-Aspire...el-Kit-/270615950119?pt=AU_Laptop_Accessories

There are some for about $10 less but they seem to require soldering.

I've also got an old DeLorme earthmate GPS I could use, perhaps there's some software that would work with that which is touch friendly?

I mean for $70 it's tempting. If I don't do that then the battery is just going to get worse over time and I'll probably end up giving the thing away really cheap. Anyway, I'm mainly interested about the touch pannel, thanks.

I wish I knew something about them. I came across one on Amazon that looked interesting.
If you do wind up buying one, please do post about it. I want to try one out.

It's a good chunk of change... I might just use my ipod touch heh. A cheap used tablet would tempt me though, or if I could find a netbook touch kit for less.

The Archos 5 500GB is what I'll be using in my truck. 500GB covers all my music, and I can put movies/shows on it for my wife when we travel. Not to mention it's got the Android OS/market so all those fun little free games and the other useful apps. It only has WIFI, but that's fine. I can tether internet from my BBerry and she can use it to browse the net. Not to mention GPS apps. :attn:

Woah, nice! I didn't know android tablets were coming into production. Not a bad price either...

Back