• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asrock M8 - GTX 750 Ti

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hodakaracer96

Registered
I have been looking at the asrock m8 case for a while now. From what I had read, the case is outstanding, you just have to understand it has thermal limits :screwy: I also didn't want to break the bank to0 bad. With that in mind here is my build:

$470 - Asrock M8 Mini-ITX bare bones PC
$140 - Intel Core i3-4330 Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 54W Dual-Core
$40 - ZALMAN CNPS8900 Quiet 110mm Ultra Quiet Slim CPU Cooler
$160 - EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB FTW
$14 - EVGA backplate
$85 - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 SO-DIMM 1866
$60 - SAMSUNG 830 Pro 128GB SSD (already owned)
$50 - SAMSUNG 500GB 5400 RPM
$100 - Microsoft Windows 8.1

Total = $1119

I see several use scenarios for this build. I already own a much beefer desktop, so this computer will most likley live in the living room most of the time. I will use it as HTPC, "steam box" (I mostly play BF4 go figure), traveling "LAN" rig (I don't really do LAN parties but when I go to my parents or GF's house for the weekend I'll probably bring along), and an efficient dogecoin miner.

I have finally built up the computer and got it running after several nights of tinkering. Here are some challenges I faced when I was assembling.

-You must remove the motherboard to install aftermarket CPU coolers. When it comes all ready to go its funny to have to unplug everything.
-The CPU cooler barely fits. I actually only have 3 bolts on there right now. I tightened the two opposing ones the most, seems to be working great. I need to figure out how to pull the bottom fan panel off to get the last bolt on the CPU cooler.
-Read the instructions on how to dissemble the case! It is not intuitive, but after taking is apart a few times now I have the hang of it.
-My graphics card came with a RIDICULOUS amount of thermal paste. It covered the entire green portion of the PCB pictured below. Def a mistake on EVGA's part. Must be rushing these out the door. The card was idling at 60C until I reapplied some silver thermal compound I had only on the die itself. Temps cut in half after I reapplied grease. Mining dogecoin it hovers a tad over 70C.

Well here are some die pics ect. I'll post back with more glamour shots of the assembled rig tonight!!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 880
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    676 KB · Views: 1,023
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    726.3 KB · Views: 5,093
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    574.1 KB · Views: 826
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    923.8 KB · Views: 1,208
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    723.3 KB · Views: 820
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    798.9 KB · Views: 777
Last edited:
I was able to borrow a thermal camera from work (I work for FLIR) and took some pics after dogcoin mining all day. You can see that the graphics card bay (top of case) has two fans. One is intake which appears cold, and one is exhaust that is hot. Weird configuration, but I guess that allows you to keep the heat from the graphics card away from the motherboard/CPU. I cant imagine what a card with a higher TDP would be like, this sucker is hot!

You can see my red surface type cover and surface Bluetooth adaptor. To my pleasant surprise this paired with the built in Bluetooth. Works great in close proximity. Unusable at couch distances so I might have to get a dedicated HTPC keyboard. I have been using a Wi-Fi phone app...

Attachments

• IR_0396.jpg
    IR_0396.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 724
  • IR_0399.jpg
    IR_0399.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 725
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 746
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 774
Last edited:
more pics

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 748
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 725
Last edited:
Yes it's expensive for just case, mobo, PSU, and optical drive. It does have the cool LED touch screen and extremely light and stiff (i.e. portable - the handles are really nice) because of the quality design and use of several aluminum alloys ( I broke the thin external plate that attaches the handle. I can tell that it is made of high strength stuff because of the brittle(ish) fracture - you can spot it in one of the pics). Come to think of it, they could change the design of that, I did break it when I didn't understand how the case comes apart though. Not the easiest case to work in.

Last edited:
Back