• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asrock Z170 Bios Update Assistance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RollingThunder

Destroyer of Trolls & Spammers
Guys,

I need assistance with a BIOS upgrade for an Asrock Z170 MB in my sig. I haven't updated a BIOS for years and the Asrock site lists so many for the Z170 boards I don't know which one to take or what the procedure is now. I realize you can't screw it up so any suggestions or known good downloaded versions available?

I don't need the latest and greatest, just something a few steps up from the default V1.0 I have. I have a feeling this may solve my occasional rare lockups.

Get version 7.5 Instant Flash.

Unpack the file onto a flash drive formatted with FAT 32.

Insert the flash drive into a USB port.

Reboot and enter bios.

Find the Instant Flash bios tool and find the unpacked ROM file on the flash drive.

Click on the choice to execute the flash process.

Watch the progress bar. It should reboot when done. During the reboot, extract the flash drive from the USB port.

You might also consider bios version 3.4 which was the last one before all the Intel "vulnerability" patches which had some negative impact on performance. 3.4 and earlier dealt with RAM incompatibility issues for the most part it looks like.

You might also consider bios version 3.4 which was the last one before all the Intel "vulnerability" patches which had some negative impact on performance. 3.4 and earlier dealt with RAM incompatibility issues for the most part it looks like.

Trents,

RAM issues may be part of it as I get Error 55 and Error 40 on the LED on occasion and I have good RAMs and they test fine at default and OC'd. I know the default V1.0 BIOSes are not ideal as you upgrade things.

Thank you.

Back