• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock Z270 Extreme 4 ramslot bug

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
As many of you know, I upgraded my main rig . Spent 3 hours swapping out board, chip and ram. Most of the time spent was rerouting my fan cables to reach the fan headers that were moved becuase of the new board's layout.

Didn't even need to reinstall windows either. Just swap out drivers and reactivate, done. Flashed to the latest bios (Ver: 2.00) from the 1.40 the board comes shipped with. Booted right up no issues....until I saw a small problem: Ram running 2133 shown in cpuz. No big deal, reboot into bios, set ram speed/timings via XMP and reboot...gets stuck in reboot cycle, then reverts back to 2133. Hmm...odd. Jeff (Stereo555) and I play with this thing for about an hour. Checking and rechecking and still a nogo. Ram modules installed in ramslots A1 and B1 as per instruction manual ( yes I use it :p) and still the same issue.

We try moving the modules to slots A2 and B2 and waddaya know, the dang thing booted right up to 3200 and 4.9Ghz @ 1.31v :shrug: Ran XTU and hottest core got to 72c :D

Unsure what the heck kind of bug is that as it had Jeff and I stumped for a good hour! Mislabled?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157738

Read Adam's review, seventh one from the top. He noted the same thing.

I would be tempted to try an earlier bios. You might also reach out to ASRock about this. It's a pretty minor issue, however and the workaround has no downside. What would be interesting to know is if you filled all four slots with that same speed memory would it run at full speed and be stable.

I used to run 4 modules, but found it does put a little stress on the IMC, so since then I only use 2 modules. It also makes it easier to OC with 2 modules as apposed to 4. I know it's an easy fix just adding a bit more SAO voltage.

So far the board is running great and memory is running it's rated speed/timings/voltage. I'll fire off an email to ASRock about it and see what they have to say.

As for bios files, there are only 3 total available : 1.30, 1.40 ( which the board came with) and the new 2.00.

Neb, Were you having this same problem with the 1.4 bios version?

Here's another Egg reviewer who had RAM slot issues with that board trying to use 32 gb of RAM:

This review is from: ASRock Z270 Extreme 4 LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Motherboards - Intel
Pros: The motherboard looks awesome, it fits perfectly with my case theme .

Cons: the ram slots in the motherboard wouldn't function properly, only a combo of 2+4 or 3+4 would work, i have 32 gb (4 sticks ) trident z rgb if it makes any difference. i tried calling Asrock about the issue but they told me to call G.skill, they seem like they didn't care .
Another small thing is the while led for the RGB isn't completely white, but has a bluish tone.

Other Thoughts: I will probably return this and go back to MSI

Manufacturer Response:
Dear Aymen ,

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
For the RAM slots issues, Please trouble shoot the board steps below.
• Turn the power off, clear the CMOS.
• Remove the CPU to check mainboard’s CPU contact pins are normal. They should be pointing to same way and pattern (see below image for sample).
• Reseat the CPU and cooler if the pins are normal.
• Test with single memory module on each slot one at the time to verify all slots are working individually.
• Test the using memory module one by one to verify the all memory modules are working.

If you have any technical support inquiry, please contact us at http://www.ASRock.com/Support/tsd.asp
We will assist you shortly.

Thank you

ASRock Support
Tech Support Email: http://www.ASRock.com/Support/tsd.asp

Yeah I saw that review also. Yes I was having the same issue with bios ver 1.4, thus is why I thought a bios update would fix the issue. As a habit I always check the cpu socket for bent or mis-aligned pins before installing the chip. Found none and went ahead with the build.

Thanks for those links :)

So it kind of looks like slot #1 has problems. Maybe some inconsistency in the production process of the board.

Most likely. Awaiting back from ASRock. I dunno what they're going to do, but I'm reluctant to tear the machine apart to send the board in. It works as it should and I'm happy with it thus far.

According to the manual (as what ASRock's tech support stated), there is no ramslot bug. Page #17 clearly shows how the priorty of the ram slots work for this particular board; So I was wrong assuming they work as the Z97 did. The ram is installed in their proper slots according to this pic:

Attachments

• RAMSLOTS.jpg
    RAMSLOTS.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 634
Nope, not since I swapped them to A2 & B2. Little did I know this was the correct way. Running as it should :D

But it also looks like from that chart that A1 B1 should work when only populating two slots, according to Priority #2.

But it also looks like from that chart that A1 B1 should work when only populating two slots, according to Priority #2.

It does work, but not the way it's supposed to. It boots to 2133, but when I try and set either XMP profile or manually enter settings/voltage, it fails to boot. Then it loops in reboot mode until it reverts back to 2133 and then it boots into desktop. When I repeat the process, it does the same thing.

I moved the ram into slots A2 & B2 and it booted normally @ XMP. When I spoke to ASRock tech support, that's when they referred to the manual and repeated what the manual showed. :shrug:

Just found this too: http://www.overclock.net/t/1622525/asrock-z270-extreme4

Last edited:
Would like to know why ASRock designed it this way. Is it to avoid cooler clearance issues when using the first RAM slot?

The Way of the Motherboard is dimly lit. What you think you know from previous experience just tells you that you'll look back on this as more previous experience.

The Way of the Motherboard is dimly lit. What you think you know from previous experience just tells you that you'll look back on this as more previous experience.

That piece of wisdom certainly applies to many areas of life.

In the manual it does show you can use the first and third slot, however it is priority 2.

It does work, but not the way it's supposed to. It boots to 2133, but when I try and set either XMP profile or manually enter settings/voltage, it fails to boot. Then it loops in reboot mode until it reverts back to 2133 and then it boots into desktop. When I repeat the process, it does the same thing.I moved the ram into slots A2 & B2 and it booted normally @ XMP. When I spoke to ASRock tech support, that's when they referred to the manual and repeated what the manual showed. :shrug:

my old X79 Asus RIVBE did a similar thing wouldnt post at all with the dimms 1 populated alone priority was set to dimms 2 FIRST. Then you could add ram to the other 4 slots.

Back