• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AsRock z77 Extreme 4 issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Person_0_0

Hi.

So a couple of days ago I upgraded my Gigabyte p75-d3 to an AsRock Z77 Extreme 4 (a used one of course) to overclock my i5 3570k and when I go in the bios in the OC tweaker tab and type a number past 38 in the CPU ratio option it just doesn't work, I type the number and it goes back to 38 and 38 is the max turbo boost for the i5 3570k, idk if that is supposed to happen or what as I'm new to overclocking, also I can't change the value of the intel turbo boost option it's like it is locked or something idk, also there's no XMP profile even though the manual says there is I don't know if that's supposed to show up according to the ram you have or what, if it helps I have an 8GB stick of Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1600MHz, I updated the bios to the latest version and still nothing changed, idk if the motherboard is broken and I should return it and get my money back or it's just something that needs adjusting.

Thanks in advance.

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K
CPU Cooler: FSP Windale 6
Mobo: AsRock Z77 Extreme 4
GPU: Asus Cerberus GeForce GTX 1050Ti
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL10
PSU: Gamma HEC-600TE-2WX (600W)
Case: Cooler Master RC-K380-KWN1

Welcome to OCF Person_0_0
XMP also relies on the RAM, the board needs an XMP profile to read from the RAM to set it up.
First lets get a couple things out of the way for OC
Did you set the OC mode to manual in BIOS? Typically there's a setting near the top of the tweaker page that will need to be changed for manual OC
Have you tried using the (+) and (-) keys instead of typing in the number?

Welcome to OCF Person_0_0
XMP also relies on the RAM, the board needs an XMP profile to read from the RAM to set it up.
First lets get a couple things out of the way for OC
Did you set the OC mode to manual in BIOS? Typically there's a setting near the top of the tweaker page that will need to be changed for manual OC
Have you tried using the (+) and (-) keys instead of typing in the number?

Hi, thanks for welcoming me, I tried using (+) and (-) keys now and it doesn't wanna go beyond 38 I feel like this board isn't authentic because of this weird unexplainable issue and because of the splash screen on booting and it's just the AsRock logo I saw a tutorial on this board on youtube the splash screen was the picture that was on the box of the mobo idk, I'm new to overclocking and tweaking stuff in the bios as I said in the post.
Oh, I also tried leaving the CPU ratio value as it is at 38 and changing the multiplier to 119.9 or something I don't remember anyway it was supposed to be running at 4.5GHz then the pc turned off and on then off and on again it happened twice then I got a message that says the system failed to boot multiple times then it booted to windows and it doesn't go beyond 3.6GHz on all cores when I stress tested the CPU with Aida64 and monitored the frequency with HWMonitor, I know that's considered an overclock as it's on all cores but it's not the numbers I wanna see.

Sorry for the rant and thanks.

Edit: I forgot to say, there's no manual OC option in the bios idk why.

I can understand why it failed when you changed the BCLK. That will OC the RAM and other peripherals. Let's concentrate on overclocking the with the multiplier.
Have you made any changes in the BIOS other than memory?
You should be able to set the cpu ratio to all core then change the multiplier, make sure speed step and turbo are both still enabled

@Johan45 I loaded the UEFI defaults to start over.
1. I changed the CPU ratio to all cores in the OC Tweaker tab
2. I have speed step and turbo enabled
3. I change the multiplier to 45 it goes back to 38
4. Now idk what to do

When you make the change do you hit enter on the keyboard?

Are you certain you have a 3570K and not a plain 3570?

Yeah, i'm sure it's written in pretty much everything and in the bios and i have a photo of it and the K is engraved on it.

The AsRock z77 board has it's known issues. It's just not a good board. One of the known issues is the board drops 2 of the 4 memory slots. They become completely useless. Also the multiplier being stuck is a known issue. You probably will find problems dating as far back as 2013.

Here's a thread in this very forum nobody could/would answer with the same issue as you. https://www.overclockers.com/forums...p-Asrock-Z77-Extreme-4-Multiplier-Stuck-at-39

Here's one at OCnet, it was RMA'ed - https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-i...stuck-36-ib-3750k-asrock-z77-extreme-4-a.html

There's plenty more I could dig up for ya, but you get the point.

Things to try

Send the board back and get your money, keep the cpu and find an Asus board.

Run as is.

Other than that, there's nothing you can do about that motherboard. It's garbage for overclocking.

Sry for the bad news. I had the same board and suffered having only 2 memory slots to work with......

Thanks for replying, I honestly just gave up on this board so I talked to the guy that I bought it from and told him about the issue and he told me that he can swap it with an Asus Z77 Pro so, that's what I'll do.

You made a good choice then. The Asus board should do well for your needs. As long as it's in good working order from the seller.....

Back