• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

assembling a new computer - are there any other cool gadgets I should check out?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

captainthrall

I'm assembling a new rig, and I've ordered just about everything. I'm just wondering if there's anything else that I might want to add...

So far I have:

MOBO: msi z170a titanium
CPU: i7-6700k
RAM: 32gb corsair vengence 3000
GPU: evga 1080 ftw - backordered sonofa
SSD: 2x samsung 950 pro 550gb M.2
HDD: 3x toshiba 3gb 7200 spinners
PSU: evga supernova 750
COOLER: kraken x61
CASE: evga dg-87 - preordered sonofa

I have monitors, a mouse, keyboard, and all of that stuff. Plus I bought a couple of those cheap LED strip case lights from amazon. Am I missing anything?

What about PCI-e express SSD technology? Your m2 Sata SSD drives will give you no better performance than will 2. 5" Sata SSDs. SSD on the SATA bus runs into bandwidth bottlnecks. PCI-e SSD tecnololgy transcends this. But it is expensive technology at this point. Not sure if money is an issue in this build.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...yMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

I would also suggest this as an alternative to your Kraken X61: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835108217

Last edited:
What about PCI-e express SSD technology? Your m2 Sata SSD drives will give you no better performance that 2. 5" Sata SSD. SSD on the SATA interface runs into bandwidth bottlnecks. PCI-e SATA transcends this. But it is expensive technology at this point. Not sure if money is an issue in this build.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...yMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

Sorry, I'm not sure if I understood correctly.
What exactly would be faster than 2x M.2s in RAID 0?

PCI-e SSD is faster. The SATA bus has limited bandwidth and throttles the drives. It prevents them from realizing their full potential. RAID 0 partially addresses this but not completely. When SSD technology is ported to a PCI-e card it eliminates this. I edited my original post with another recommendation. Please read again.

PCI-e SSD is faster. The SATA bus has limited bandwidth and throttles the drives. It prevents them from realizing their full potential. RAID 0 partially addresses this but not completely. When SSD technology is ported to a PCI-e card it eliminates this. I edited my original post with another recommendation. Please read again.

So my M.2 slots are bottle-necked at 6gb/sec SATA speed?
I asked someone about that earlier and he said they wouldn't be. We came to the conclusion that the M.2 slots on my mobo are fed from chipset PCI lanes

So my M.2 slots are bottle-necked at 6gb/sec SATA speed?
I asked someone about that earlier and he said they wouldn't be. We came to the conclusion that the M.2 slots on my mobo are fed from chipset PCI lanes

Attachments

• M.2 PCIE.PNG
    M.2 PCIE.PNG
    26.7 KB · Views: 42
In looking at the specs for your motherboard it appears your m.2 slots are indeed tied to the PCI-e bus instead of the SATA bus or at least share bandwidth between the two. So how that plays out may depend on if you have other SATA drives connected to certain SATA ports. So proceed with your plans. Look at the cooling solution I offer as an alternative, however. Swiftech makes primo water cooling components.

Last edited:
Back